1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Simple pleasures of life

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Nov 3, 2014.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear srama,
    We were ten and I am the eldest. My mother used to consult me in cutting down expenses. I can therefore visualise what your grandma would have through to raise her children.Like your Dad I used to cut and paste items on birds/animals for my children,on education for my wife who was a trained teacher and gardening for my use.The news papers were folded neatly in as was delivered condition. Internet and Google have deprived us of this pleasure.
    Thanks and regards
    Lakshiminarayanan

2. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

Dear LN Sir,

A very beautiful post, went a little nostalgic reading those simple pleasures of Life. Loved it!

During school days, I mostly used my sisters rubbers while during home works, so that mine stays always white and new. Poor girl never realized how mine always stayed bigger and hers so dirtier and small. Same went with crayons and sketch pens. :hide:

I used to collect all fancy Gift wrappers that came as a packing no matter who received the gift, the wrappers had to come to me. I used to cover my text books with that and mine always looked attractive, though not the subjects. I was into all these sort of girly girly stuffs.

I had this habit of tearing off the empty papers from all the notebooks at the end of the year and made a new bound book to workout Math and equations. My acha amma used to stitch it for me. Not that I was too studious et all, I was a stationary junk.

I collected all discarded pens at home I reused with new refills, the gem clips, fancy folders, notepad that came as a compliment to my amma’s clinic. The cola cans I converted into pen stands decorating with color papers and stickers. I never allowed anyone to dispose anything at home, not even the old greeting cards that my sisters got. From old glass(Spectacles) cases to jewel boxes I took stock of everything from everyone. They called me ‘the garbage collector of the house’ :))))

The list goes on and on...Now as you said, where is the time for all these silly pleasures? The same garbage collector disposes off my DH stuffs saying I'm De-cluttering everything. He too was a similar dust bin type like me :)

3. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

toothpaste thing.. yes... once the squeezable action cannot be performed anymore, my mom rips it open with scissors and there lies the hidden toothpaste which can run for two days. Later as I grew up, I watched a serial where a man uses a rolling pin to press the tube, you know, from bottom to top, 3-4 times and there lies the magical toothpaste which was unwilling to show up. That way, we use it for 4-5 days and I think that ways, I am more efficient than my mommy. lol. btw, after this, when the tube is dissected, we wouldn't find a single trace of paste. even a match stick wont be able to find one. Do I deserve a pat on the back? :p ;)

Not sure if men are aware of this. But mommies and grannies who wear sarees, daily, might be. See, a saree has two ends, call it tucking end and pallu end. When the same saree is worn repeatedly for sometime, pallu end gets old soon and the tucking end remains newer when compared to the pallu end. you see my point? So, these ladies start wearing the saree in the other way... tucking end becomes pallu and pallu becomes tucking end. Their logic, this way whole saree gets used up completely and lasts for a longer duration. :) And yes, they are right too. FYI, works for sarees without fall. :)

Along with newspapers, we regularly collect plastic dabbas and cartons/card board boxes. We sell even that too to the raddi wala. why not? Though it doesn't give much money, why not sell it? Not to mention, milk packets... raddi wala buy these too.

But, OP, I disagree with you on two points. First, generalizing Indian mentality and second generalizing this generation's mentality. In the first case, I haven't roamed any other country but just a few places within India. So, I have no idea how it is in the other part of the world and hence would never come to such conclusions.

And this generation part, they have their own frugal ways or simple pleasures, if not the older generation ways. They know how to use credit/debit cards well, they can take advantage of free wifi in coffee shops, they car pool and save travel expenses, etc etc. So I would, rather say, everyone has their own way of finding pleasure in simple things of life, irrespective of older or younger generation. #justmytwocents

4. oysterzzz

oysterzzz Gold IL'ite

Excellent and very interesting.

5. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kamla,
    Thanks for your concern and good wishes.Dry eyes problem is due to the rigidity of the muscles with the result we don't wink and thereby lose tears by evaporation.Your letter has come on the third anniversary of Mythilis departure.[according to star].Sangeetha is a writer par excellence,having done exceedingly well in English Hons from Delhi university.She has handled many assignments as corporate communication consultant.Being a mother of Quadruplets all aged ten her plate is full.Now it is time that she joins IL along with her sister and cousins.I am on the job.
    Regards
    Lakshiminarayanan

6. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dea Neetu,
    You are a treasure house of information on reuse and recycling. One can perceive how proud you are and this is what I called simple pleasures of life. We go on collecting things which we already have at home and throw them out when cluttering affects your peace of mind.
    Regards
    Lakshiminarayanan

7. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Coolsandy,
    The rolling pin technique appears to be more effort and energy efficient.Grannies and moms extended the shelf life of sarees and in fact old sarees formed the spft bed for the new born like a birds nest. Youngsters do save by car pooling,have breakfast in the subsidised canteen. make use of credit cards in such a way that they enjoy maximum credit days. While frugality was a way of life in yester years today it is confined to those who care.
    Regards
    Lakshiminarayanan

8. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Oysterzzz,
    Thanks.Happy that you found it interesting.
    Regards
    Lakshiminarayanan