1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Simple living and high thinking

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Apr 10, 2009.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Simple living and high thinking

Our scriptures propagate this important quality and our ancestors were following this. But slowly this culture seems to be diminishing. People clamour for material things and glamour is deemed as the portrayal of a successful life.
    Things which were once considered as luxuries had now become necessities. People wanted to have their own house at a place where they lived. But now there are people who want to posses as many houses at as many places.
    One car for family is not enough. At least a two wheeler or if possible one car for husband and one car for wife has become necessity
    When we were children birthdays were not celebrated. Even if it was celebrated, Other than the first birthday, children’s’ birthday was a family affair. Now birth days are celebrated with pomp and show. Parents who could not afford to do this are looked down by their children. In our time even wedding anniversary also was not celebrated. Valentine day, Mother’s day and father’s day were never heard of. Parents are to be respected every day. Aren’t we aping too much of western culture? I am not against learning good things from other cultures.
    There was a time when people used to buy dresses for occasions. But now eachone’s wardrobe is out flowing with all kinds of dresses for different occasions. One of my friends used to buy one sari every month. And two silk saris for deepavali every year.
    Having dinner or lunch outside every weekend or at least once in a month has become customary. In olden days rich people used to feed poor students at their homes. Now rich people throw parties just to show off.
    “Sirukak katti peruka vaaz” was the way of living shown by our elders. Austerity has taken a back seat and people compete with each other for owning material things. Some follow crooked ways and some fall into debt trap to achieve their means.
    The recent suicide news of whole families and the breadwinner shooting the whole family and then committing suicide made me to write this blog.
    With love,
    PS

2. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear Pushpa,
    Our scriptures have showed us the way of living and yet we do not follow. My mom always will tell "viraluketa veekam" . We shd always live within our means.
    Wasteful spending is not necessary, however , everyone wants to keep up with latest trend even if not needed.
    You have rightly emphasised on simple living.
    Jaya

3. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Pushpavalli you have so neatly mirrored what is happening in todays world. Trust me when I say we both are in the minority.
    Take the instance of birthday parties. Some people celebrate it like weddings. And here I must mention that people living in India have this overpowering need to imitate other cultures so much so they lose sight of what is important. Forgive me if I am wrong here. You should see the amount of cakes a housewife in chennai bakes whether there is a need or not. Here I should mention though American women do bake a lot they also donate a lot. Somehow the people who copy only copy the matter not worth copying.
    This is really the topic of the hour and we can go on and on debating because there is so much to say.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts here:)

4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Jaya,
    Happy to know that there are people supporting my views. When ever people find there is a reduction sale, they make a beeline to the shops and buy unwanted things. When there is an exchange offer they will exchange the thing which is in working condition for peanut price and buy a new one. We old timers have the mentality, as long as the kozakkattai gets cooked even if the vessel has a hole, it does not matter.
    PS

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear AC,
    Even in weddings previously for morning breakfast one or two dishes with a sweet was served. Nowadays at least three savouries and two sweets are served. Lots of food items are wasted. BVut who bothers about it?
    Thanks for posting your comments,
    PS

6. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Hi Pushpa,

This topic is so close to my heart and have written a post on similar lines.."What is important"

Today the showing off biz is abuzz and people whether they can afford or not are also joining this bandwagon without thinking.

For us we strictly beleive that we should do what we like and not what others like. The stress level increases if we try to go on doing things to please others.

We do celebrate b'days n anniv..but its a little different.

But then each ones priorities are different and unless they themselves are convinced of what is right and what is wrong others can't help much.

7. swethakalyanee

swethakalyanee New IL'ite

Dear Pushpa,

Novel thoughts ! Thanks for a such a valuable post. Being professionals both, Myself and my hubby belive in Simple living and would surely try to instigate the sweetness of simple living in our daughter's mind too ! Recently i had written a post on how ppl waste money on lavish weddings. Simple living is absoulutely the way of life !

8. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Roopa,
    Thank you for joining me here and for posting your sweet comments. I always think and think before buying any thing whether that thing is necessary. By cutting unnecessary expenditure, we could help some one who is in need or save it for an emergency.
    Love,
    PS

9. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Swetha,
    It is heartwarming to hear that you lead a simle life even though you both are professionals and trying to inculcate the same spirit in your daughter also. Parents are role models to children and they keep observing them closely. Thank you for posting your opinion and for your appreciation,
    Lobve,
    PS

10. veen

veen Senior IL'ite

Dear Pushpa,

Well said. We r becoming more westernized (b'coz we r great followers not leaders. )

take care
    veen