1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Simple & Healthy Homemade Nestum!

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Shrisha, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Shrisha

Shrisha Bronze IL'ite

Hello IL friends!

My Mother in law made this homemade rice cereal for my son which is an instant hit with him. So thought of sharing with you all!

3 cups - Boiled rice
    1 cup - Green gram ( Pach payaru that you use for making sprouts)
    1 cup - Javarisi/Sago

Dry roast all the above well in a Kadai. Then grind in a mixie. (She gave it to a grinding mill nearby). You have to grind in a texture like that of Rava/Daliya. Store in an airtight container.

How to prepare:
    Take 1 glass of water & when it comes to a boil add three tablespoons of this powder. Keep the gas in low flame & keep stirring for 1 - 2 minutes. Maybe max 5 minutes.
    Then as per ur desired consistency, you can either add some more water and salt/ vegetable soup/ curd/ mik with sugar.
    (I add a small pich of cardamom powder, milk & Palm candy for sweetness)

This mixture is a right balance of protein & carbohydrats. Also Sago is said to be very good for babies.
    This can be given for kids above 6 months.

Please let me know if any questions

Happy parenting! :)

2. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the recipe shirisha,I was looking for home made baby food recipies ..will defnitley try this with LO and see

3. amritavarshini

amritavarshini Bronze IL'ite

shrisha..u have definitely given a good recipe but i have a small difference of opinion..acc to my daughter's paed it is not advisable to give a mixture of cereals bcz if ur child develops any allergies it will be difficult to identify...also cow's milk isnt a good option for babies below 1 year of age..please dont be offended i just shared my views...

4. Shrisha

Shrisha Bronze IL'ite

Thank you Lavii. Lemme know if your LO enjoyed it.

Amrithavarshini, Thanks for your comments. Green gram is not another cereal. So it is just like how we mix Dal & rice for our Dal rice.
    Sago is added because it gives a nice texture to the porridge & is also very healthy. Even adults are given sago kanji to recover fast from illness.
    My son is 8 months old & Im giving him this mix daily. I agree your concern completely because every baby is different.
    Maybe you can skip the sago part if you wish & grind rice & green gram alone!

Love