1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Silver Spoon Ragi For 3 Month Old Baby

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by vnkarthee, May 12, 2016.

1. vnkarthee

vnkarthee New IL'ite

Hi friends,
    My DS is just completed 3 months. He is having constipation starting from 2 month old. I did many things to resolve constipation like tummy massage, bicycle exercise, dry grape juice, simulating with castor oil or betle leaf etc.. and my pead pescribed sorbiline syrup.But still the problem is not completely resolved.
    Pead told to start solid food after 90 days and 2 spoon of water. Then asked to continue sorbiline syrup. Also he suggested to start with silver spoon ragi kanji /porridge. I heard ragi cause constipation...
    So far my baby is taking only BM. I thought of giving BM till he completes 6 months or atleast 5 months. But my pead told to start solid to regularize his motion problem. If starting solid food early will resolve his constipation? ? If so what food I could start? Ragi or rice porridge?
    Please suggest. Also please let me know your feedback on silver spoon ragi powder out you have used it.

2. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

Hi

Starting solids anytime before minimum 4months to
    Kid is not advisable.. Best is 6months to start solids

Are you in India?? If yes meet different pead..
    There should be Some syrup to stop constipation.

No dear not all babies get constipated with ragi.
    Infact my baby gets watery stool with ragi..
    Ragi ceri is good, but 1st for 1st food rice ceri is good
    After one week of rice ceri you can introduce ragi..

PS. I am giving cerelac in silver cup n spoon. I font know if Steel silver plastic makes difference. Hearing first time

3. vnkarthee

vnkarthee New IL'ite

Hi Suma,
    Thank you. I'm in India, already consulted 2 pead, both was telling constipation problem will regularize when taking solids.So its better to start solid by end of 4 months right?

Silver spoon is the brand name of ready b mix of ragi porridge powder , which my pead suggested to start as a first food. which outs similar like nestum rice.

sumalynux likes this.
  4. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

My son is 7 months now and he has same problem. Solids before 4 months is not advisable. The baby digestive system needs to be developed in order to digest solid food. Of course we need to trust the doctor but this is not sounding right to me.
    My doctor asked me to give water after he is 4 months to ease constipation. If the baby is on breast milk, it is completely fine if he doesn't poop for 4-5 days. I heard ragi should be given only after a year. Not sure though.

vnkarthee likes this.
  5. aspha

aspha Gold IL'ite

Agree with all the moms above. Its too early to start solids. Wait till your baby turns 5.5 months old. First 6 months should be only breast-milk or formula. as @ILUser07 said, its normal for breast-fed babies to go without pooping for 10 days. Ragi should be introduced once your baby is 8 or 9 months old.

6. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

Oh ok..

As others said its true that exclusive breastfed babies is fine without pooping 4 to 6 days.. just try giving warm water sips to help constipation for now.

Yes atleast wait till completion of 4 months, preferably 5 months.. for solids.

First introduce rice cerlac if no reactions after week introduce ragi.. and see reaction
    If reaction give only rice cerelac and start ragi once baby cross 7 months.

I give nestum nestle cerlac (rice, wheat)
    For ragi i give first bytes brand

7. vnkarthee

vnkarthee New IL'ite

Hi ILUser07,
    Thank you. Is your baby still having constipation problem in 7 months? Have you started giving solid? If so, any improvement after giving solid food. Please let me know

8. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

It took few months to get better. We started solids at 5 month. Doctor asked us to start with oats cereal as rice causes constipation. He used to do it every 3 days. We used to give 2 ounce water a day which eased up a bit. Later once we introduced fruits and veggies at 6 month, it got better. I think sweet potato worked for us. I clearly see the difference. Now occasionally he misses a day. Still haven't introduced rice as I had a feeling it might be hard for him.

9. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Usually babies uptil 6 months do not need solids .

Silver spoon ragi is good , I have used it but ragi will cause constipation in my opinion. My son used to be constipated and his regular breakfast was silver spoon ragi.

Also check if you are giving any iron drops to baby , iron also causes constipation .