1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

SIL's hurtful words.

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by asuitablegirl, Jun 5, 2011.

1. chennainew

chennainew Senior IL'ite

ASG,

Sorry to hear about your issues with SIL.

One of my mom's sister is not too friendly with her because she is older(around 10 years) than my mom so feels she is always right since she is older.

I did not read the whole thread but if u are 23 now and got married 4-5 years back when u were around 19, that is really young(as most women in India don't get married at that age) and so your SIL might feel you are a young woman whom she can dominate. I gather you were raised in US and marriage at that age is more common than India, but your SIL might not realize that.

As others have mentioned, ignore her since your DH supports you which is what matters, focus on your health and job searching/study. Lot of folks(workplace and sometimes at home too) will try to pull us down in life. If we feel bad, think about it we have let them succeed. Don't spend more time thinking about this.

For your job search part, i recall you were looking for positions in the HR area, I looked at the HR Management book which was sent to me which looks like a good tome of HR. I am not in HR, but estimate that might be a good place to start.

HTH

2. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Reading this gave me a lot of inner peace. Thank you. You are right, listening to her DOES feed her power. We went from equals at the beginning of the conversation, and by the end I was a sniveling ball of anxiety and she was like this megga beast of power and control. I'm definitely not going to listen to her again. Everytime I listen to her I always get sucked into her mind games and then I start doubting myself and my dh.

Well luckily they're staying in a hotel since she is also coming with her husband's sister and that girl's husband and their kid. So it's not like I'll be seeing them 24/7. I'm going to be nice, but nice like an air hostess. Just hi, bye, would you like anything to drink, hope you had a nice trip. I'm really not interested in getting close to her again. The worst thing, THE WORST, is how immature and stupid she makes me feel. She always keeps saying that I'm "so young" as if I'm only 13 or something and that her brother is so much older than me. She makes me feel like she's my babysitter. I guess I've grown up always thinking that older people are wise... so when she talks to me in an authoritative voice, it's hard for me to ignore it or dismiss the bad stuff she says. When she puts me down and criticizes me, I literally feel like I'm a diaper wearing baby being put in time out. :idontgetit:

3. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Sweep this incident under the carpet. You are lucky that your H is supporting you.
    Dont ever let relatives mess up your marital life.
    At the end of the day in laws are inlaws ,never take them to be anything else.
    You can off load your woes to your friends , your own family but not SIL who has proved to be such a double crosser.Be cold to her , keep a distance.
    Now you know who was instrumental in breaking up your Hs 1st marriage !!!!!!

Your H may be having his own job issues , in a marriage there are plenty of such phases which both spouses go through.
    Go for your treatment and dont let SIL upset you, she was just being nasty.
    All marriages have ups and downs though others see them as perfect.

4. asuitablegirl

Yeah, I agree with you. All my dh's cousins whom my sil is very close with are in their late 30's. My sil is in her late 30's. My dh's ex wife is in her late 30's. I feel that the females in my dh's family are like a club, and you have to be established in your career and in your 30's to be accepted. She CONSTANTLY brings up my young age and the age difference between me and my dh. She constantly tries to show that I don't fit in. I've tried really hard to fit in with the older girls. I try keeping in touch with them, writing them on facebook, I tried being friends with my sil.... but I always get the feeling that I'm the pesky younger sibling who nobody wants around. Also, they drink and party and go wild, and I'm the complete opposite. I like quiet nights and staying at home. So, I think they feel that they have nothing in common with me.

About the HR job.... I actually have an interview on Tuesday for an unpaid HR internship where I would learn all about human resources. It's only 10 hours per week and lasts till August. But at least I'd get some experience.

I hadn't even shared it with my mom. The only people who know about in in real life (as in the people who know me as more than just ASG :)) is my dh, my doctor, and my sil. My mil knew about an earlier problem, but I hadn't told her what has happened recently or about the new treatment I'll be doing on monday. Why I chose to tell my sil, I have no idea. Probably because she called me when I was emotional, she told an emotional story about her problems, and I just felt lonely and stressed out about it and it just came out. BIG MISTAKE. Now when I see my sil's husband, I'll know that he knows about me. And he knows that I know he knows. And it's just going to be weird. Anyways, lesson learned... the only person who knows my future secrets is going to be my dh. Because it's not painfully obvious to me that my sil delights in embarassing me.

So true.

5. asuitablegirl

I guess you are right. But my problem is in regards to family, I want to be accepted. I know I should learn to accept myself and be happy with myself the way I am. But a part of me also wishes that they would accept me too. If they could accept his ex wife, why can't they accept me? Anyways, I think my mil and fil pretty much like me now. So, if sil wants to be the lone wolf who keeps bringing up my dh's past and ridiculing our relationship, then I guess it's her problem.

6. chennainew

chennainew Senior IL'ite

Quit trying to mold so that you can be a part of their group. Clearly, she(your SIL) is a problematic personality.

Unpaid ones typically don't carry as much weight as paid ones not to mention as you don't get compensated for it, financially it does not help. Lot of companies won't treat that as experience, IMO. They feel if you did not get compensated for it, perhaps you were not not skilled enough. Now, I know high school graduates need to do community service to get into college, get scholarships, but from a job search perspective unpaid internships(in most of the cases) do not help a lot.

HR is not rocket science and with a MBA you are not exactly a rookie. I glanced at the book briefly and found things most people can grasp. In another thread http://www.indusladies.com/forums/working-women/136854-hr-interview-questions.html#post1823446
    a poster without HR background is trying to get a H-1 visa in that position. So, why should you work without pay? Pick a book on HR, Google what HR mainly does and you should know enough to get a paid position in a week or so.

There are books on Emotional intelligence. Try reading them as they can help you in HR job search and dealing with your current situation. At work place, there can be lot of folks like your SIL

Don't underestimate or shortsell yourself. To the working world or to your relatives like SIL. Both should consider you a formidable figure.

HTH

7. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

Asg, u mentioned that they accepted Yo ur dh's ex. In my opinion his ex would have got a similar treatment. They just keep singing songs about her to hurt you. For eg my mil nd sil praise all the other dil's of the family in front of me. But in reality they don't care for them any more than they care for me. They just say those things to hurt me nd then I go nd fight with my husband.

As far as acceptance by the family goes - mils nd sils can never accept dil as part of the family. You will always be hated for becoming such an integral part of their sons/bros life.

Take this incident as a lesson nd never discuss any personal issue with mil or with sil even if they make you feel loved and wanted by the family. Do not fall for it in future.

8. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

ASG, You are a very smart girl thru and thru . Why do you care what your SIL thinks or tells you.You have a permanent place in your hubby;s life. You are his wife.Period. Whatever SIL says doesnt change.

When to get married is your joint decision i.e you and your hubby;s. Not your SIL not her husband and definitely not IL's. All of them are not in the picture here. So what does it matter what she thinks or says.Tell her point blank its not her business.

She maybe feeling she had no say in your marriage and feeling a little lost. Talk about 30 + woman loosing her yo yo.Becoz thats what SIL;s think of their bros. Their Yo yo;s. Atleast mine does.

Here's the thing, whatever she says about your hubby's ex, one thing is understood. She is your hubby;s ex as in she has already finished her part in his life.Tell her take a hint woman ,we are married for close to 6 yrs .

I never tell intimate details to my IL's .It always comes back to bite you. Its free for all info to men /women in IL's and sometimes even close friends.Jisne poocha use bol diya.
    Dont stress yourself. Every talk we have with IL's is lesson learned. We can never stop learning nor drop our guard. When she visits you be careful as to what info you share and how she comes to conclusion. They watch us like hawks. Its always my poor bro got himself entangled with a awful SIL to them.
    Good Luck for your new job and take care.

9. aniShekar

aniShekar Platinum IL'ite

God ASG, SIL problems are the last thing you need if you're suffering from VP! Well, I've been there; had it; and i can sympathize with you totally. Are you still under treatment....if so, do shove all thoughts of nosey in-laws away, and get on with fixing yr health...ATB

Just a thought - you did mention your in-laws being friendly with you of late - perhaps that's what's bugging your SIL right now. I know my SIL is paranoid abt my relationship with her mother - it's much more pleasanter for her to play the "ministering angel to the misunderstood MIL", than to hear her mother talk positively about me!

10. asuitablegirl

Chennainew, there is another job (my dream job) in the works. I have an interview for it in July. So I'm hesitant to pick up another paid job knowing I could committ to something else next month. Also, I'm trying to see whether I even like the human resources line. If not, I could fall back on accounting. I'm trying to decide what to do with my life.

I think it boils her blood knowing my dh cares more about me than her or her parents. She was one of the first to start the tug of war games over my dh. Before I started college and earned my degree, she ridiculed me for being a waitress at a restaurant, saying I wasn't good enough for her highly educated brother. Now that I have earned my bachelor's and master's, I guess she is looking for something else to pick on.

Yeah for my sil it's a power struggle. I'm happy not having power. I have no desire to lead or conquer or be the alpha family member. So I don't understand why she'd start a power struggle with me. If she's mad at her brother for caring about me more than her, than she should take it up with HIM not me, right?

If you don't mind me asking, how did you cure it? Did you go for vulvar injections to numb the nerves? Mine are tomorrow. :hide: I think I'm getting 3. Also, I used a cream called estrace that was supposed to help. She said if this doesn't work I can either wait for my vulvar area to stretch out after having a baby and that would reduce the pain I'm having during sex, or I can opt for surgery. How many years did you have this problem? I first started noticing the pain in 2008.