1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

silly question about socializing

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by deepa0, Jul 13, 2013.

1. deepa0

deepa0 New IL'ite

Hi,

When i go out, say library or school, we see people whom we know but not as real friends. just acquaintance. do we have to say Hi even though they are not looking at us or only when they look at us, i mean eye contact.

I am usually shy but when someone talks to me or says hi i can continue but always had issues with starting a conversation. when one on one it is easy for me rather than a group. i am working on my self confidence and assertiveness. when the other person is not looking at me, i always hesitate to say hi and greet , fearing they might not answer me and it would be embarassing.
    people mistake my shyness as being moody or not friendly. so i would like to work on it and improve myself.
    Thanks!

2. Shinylady

Shinylady Bronze IL'ite

Dear Deepa,

I do not have any suggestions for you as I am facing somewhat similar issue. I think one has make a conscious effort to overcome this problem. Sometimes I do it while most of the time I go back to the loop again:(

3. swt.charu

swt.charu Platinum IL'ite

I can say this..

you may choose to say hi or ignore.. but be very clear what you choose...

if you choose to say Hi .. just go ahead.. they may not be looking at you.. if you just wave your hand from a distance without ensuring they saw you could back fire.. they would not have noticed and it would be embarassing for you... ensure you catch their eye or you may even pat on the back (if they are friendly type) and say hi... if it is a library or something you may just say a silent hi and move on..

if you choose not to say hi.. just stick to that... don't look at them, kill your curiosity to know what they are into... just move on as if you have not seen... if they happen to say hi to you (they would do it the way i mentioned above) then respond..

but the key here is to be clear on what you want to do..

4. deepa0

deepa0 New IL'ite

Thankyou Charu.
    yeah sometimes i am so confused and stuck and thinking, :)
    that makes it even more worse.

sometimes there is a group of ladies (neighbours) talking seriously, i cross them but not sure to call and say hi or just pass by. i always say hi when they stop and turn to me. dh keeps saying i am not social and i need to go poke in. but i feel so odd.

5. deepa0

deepa0 New IL'ite

Yes me too. sometimes i think ok if i know their name i can just call out and say hi, but sometimes i dont do out of habit. hard to change our basic habits.

6. strangegirl

strangegirl Silver IL'ite

I am normally a very friendly person. Basically, I use this pleasant smile in my face whenever I see a person (be it a known one, friend, acquaintance or a stranger) directly on face to face. I just do not look down, or turn down my face if the other person is not so known to me. This particularly makes the other person comfortable if he/she needs to talk to me (for whatever the reason.. ranging from saying a hi or inquiring address on the streets etc...).

If necessary I greet them like Good morning.

I just do not over do this by waving my hands to an acquaintance or a stranger, those at distance. There are chances that they might not notice you or even mistake you.

Even if that is a group or in single, I just normally start the conversation as to how are you, why are you here etc..etc...

7. zainabsarfraz

zainabsarfraz Platinum IL'ite

If you are shy to say Hi just give a smile first if they smile back it means they have noticed you, now you can say hi with confidence.

8. deepa0

deepa0 New IL'ite

Thankyou strangegirl and Zainab.

if they look at me or make eye contact then i do smile and say hi or wave my hand. problem is when they dont look at me. many do notice that we r there, but they are looking elsewhere, or talking to someone or busy. or we might be behind them in a line or something. so at that time i just feel soo confused wether to go and say hi. call them and say hi. if it is close friends we wont feel uncomfortable.

so after all your suggestions, i just practiced few times last few days. either to say hi or just keep quiet with a smile on my face. sometimes just the basic things also gets messed up due to shyness, low self confidence.
    dh says i am just holding back and not free. i am worrying too much about what is right or wrong.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  9. maroon

maroon Gold IL'ite

Being a shy person myself, I can tell you from my experience as to what I do.
    I can say I have improved a lot over the last few years :)

No matter what.. the key is to never feel embarrassed. You haven't done a great blunder here.
    If the person sees you from a distance, you can smile and say hi. If you walk past the person or a group and s/he/they do not notice you, you can still say a quick hi and a sweet smile and walk ahead or if you know the person better, you can even stop. Sometimes when there is a group and lets say you go the "1) hi 2) smile and 3) stop" way, you need not force yourself to talk first. For a few seconds just stand with a warm smile.. Some sensible person from the group will definitely say a few words. If no one opens up, then you can just look at the most comfortable person (for you) in the group and say a few words, just as you would if you saw her one on one. Depending on the situation you can then leave the group. This way, you wont come across as being haughty and at the same time you can evaluate the people if they are worth a "hi and smile" the next time you see them. If you feel they cold-shoulder you or are not worthy of it, then you do not need to feel guilty the next time......and just say hi or simply walk past whatever.

1 person likes this.
  10. deepa0

deepa0 New IL'ite

Thankyou Maroon.
    Very helpful and did try it out today when i went to drop my kid.
    I felt soooo good after following ur steps. the lady didn't look at me. i just stopped to say hi and smile at her and then walked past her to sit down. then she spoke few words to me. usually the same lady would behave indifferently to me, even though we have met often. some days she will speak , some days she will ignore and i used to feel weird. you know how we waste time thinking of small things that happened.

the initial hesistation kilss everything, kills the confidence and hope. then i tend to make more mistakes. will practice this and hope I change.
    Thanks!

1 person likes this.