1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sil Didn't Tell Me She Delivered 2nd Baby..despite Good Relationship

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Vedhavalli, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Hi all,
    My DH cousin sister ie SIL, delivered 2nd baby last week.
    Little background, this particular cousin SIL is elder to me n DH. She wasn't married then,every weekend she would drop by my MIL house. Though I always had friction with MIL and her sisters..
    This particular SIL was very friendly, I too like her a lot. We hang out, go to shopping, I helped her with her wedding dress, make up typical simpler friendly cousin.
    I gifted much on her first baby.
    Every month we text each other, wish on all festivals.. exchange day to day affairs
    Last month I called to wish on her birthday, same month end she delivered 2nd baby. But she didn't tell me she is pregnant. No one can have a baby in 15 days.
    A week ago my DH got a text msg saying she delivered 2nd baby from her.
    I'm hurtful she didn't tell me her got 2nd baby... I was friendly with her, infact from my in laws side she was the good one.
    What should I do next time she texts or calls me?
    I don't want to confront her.
    Now I really understand my whole inlaws family is camelon. When on need come to me.

2. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Don't hate me for saying this, you are a nice and generous person and go out of your way to do things for others . But in the end when your generosity and kindness is not reciprocated you get really hurt. In short , you really need to be less sensitive for your own peace of mind. You are expecting too much love from the IL's side. Doesn't happen all the time. Its also possible that the SIL is busy with a new baby and hence the easiest thing to do was to text your husband . Don't let your happiness depend on others .

3. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for good words @Sandycandy .
    But we often talk with each other, what hurts me is she hid her pregnancy. My DH also knows after the delivery.
    Have to be less sensitive and ignore the entire MIL clan. I'm done with them.

sindmani likes this.
  4. paru123

paru123 Gold IL'ite

You need to ask her why was it kept a secret despite having good relationship with you. Was she afraid of some complications.

Had faced a similar situation. When I confronted her,she advised that most of the relatives knew about the pregnancy and she expected me to have known from them and i should have enquired about it.

luckysangeetha likes this.
  5. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

This is another favor your are doing to them. They don't deserve it at all.
    The best way to get back at them is to get pregnant right away, and don't tell anyone about it till the child goes to college.

6. Sweety82

Sweety82 Gold IL'ite

@Vedhavalli yes it hurts when someone who moves very close to you have not disclosed important information. But wait, you need not say that u r done. Before that when she calls you, you express this to her directly in a polite manner. U make her understand that you felt sad because of this. Since u say that she moves closer there is nothing wrong in telling this.

sindmani likes this.
  7. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

It's quite obvious that she didn't want to tell you about her pregnancy . She hid it intentionally from you for reasons best known to her .
    Just move on and show no resentment or reaction to her . Some people enjoy it when we feel hurt with their actions and to show the that you are hurt means giving her pleasure . Act indifferent about her behaviour and just stick to congrats , how's the baby doing and so forth kind of talks . Even if you confront her , what's going to change now? She did what she had to do . It's not like she will repent or get pregnant again and declare it to you next time to make it all right :). Why bother and give her the pleasure of knowing that her actions have affected you ?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  8. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Dear OP,

Definitely it hurts you.

You have two options -

1. Either ignore and draw the boundaries with her with a limited communication OR ignore and be normal with her as if nothing happened and you didn't even observed that she hid something from you. It will be a surprise for her if she purposefully hid that fact from you.

2. Confront - Ask her calmly in a casual way why she didn't let you know about her pregnancy. You can continue with her as usual, If you feel she had a good justification for that.

Think which option gives you more peace of mind. If cutting off the communication with her gives you more peace, then you can opt that one also.

Dishaa, sindmani and Sweety82 like this.
  9. SriVen

SriVen Silver IL'ite

Two pregnrncies with in short period somebody don't feel comfortable to share

sindmani likes this.
  10. shri0218

shri0218 Silver IL'ite

I absolutely love this advice!!