1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

signs of hyperactive child

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by hetha, Jun 22, 2011.

1. hetha

hetha Bronze IL'ite

Hi friends,
    What are the symptoms of hyperactive child ? why iam asking is , nowdays almost all kids are highly energetic that they are really tough for parents to handle especially boys.
    My elder boy who is 4 yrs old is very active and he is in LKG and what the teacher says he is quite naughty and keeps moving in class. If he is hyperactive child, how to take care of him.

hemalatha

2. ilite

ilite Senior IL'ite

Hi Hetha,

Please read the link below that explains hyperactivity and ADHD well.
    ADHD Basics | LD OnLine

After having read such articles and my experience with my own DSs is that many children are hyperactive at that age and it is a common complaint at school, as well. But I would not excessively worry about it but will surely make lifestyle changes or practice healthy eating, good brain stimulation, lot of physical activity at that age to channelize their energy.

If you are not already doing these , please try :

1. healthy diet- try to avoid sugar, excessive fast food, artifically coloured food. For eg., for snacks try to give fruits and raw veggies instead of biscuits, cakes, chocolates etc.
    2. Try to limit TV time. At his age for not more than 30- 45 mins in a day.
    3. Try to involve him in physical activity-visit to parks, cycling, swimming , even grocery shopping.
    4. Try to keep him occupied by coluring, puzzles and other games at home.
    5. Talk to him everyday about his daily routine.

Although, I have read conflicting reports if the above measures help or not, IMO, these measures seem to help.

All the best.

regards,

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

the link that ilite has given is not working for me..if it works for you it is fine otherwise..the most common symptoms..that are taken as parameter these days..

Constant fidgeting and squirming
    Often leaving his seat when expected to sit quietly (though my husband says this is too much to ask a kid.)
    Moving around constantly, runs or climbs inappropriately
    Talks excessively
    Has difficulty playing quietly or relaxing
    Is always “on the go,” as if driven by a motor
    May have a quick temper or a “short fuse”

(and my son had most of these symptoms.he still talks excessively, and is restless..he is 13 and he is normal..)

these day even one of these symptoms, and the teachers push the child into the add/adhd radar.

sometimes, the child gets acclimatized to the place and gets into the groove..so wait for some more time

and also reduce the amount of refined sugar, preservatives, food color in foods given to your lo.
    Sit with him, keep him engrossed by telling him a story, or making him do an activity..that is if he is able to sit for 5 minutes now, increase this to 10/15/20 minutes slowly.

though books, materials say differently, i believe, the effort of the parent never goes waste..

all the best.

4. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

I have the same problem with my kid.

I used to work with him by putting shapes, colors to match objects, coloring...riding bicycle,taking him to shop, i will make him walk rather sitting in stroller, reduced chocolate,cake,sugar,milk too

5. hetha

hetha Bronze IL'ite

Hi ilite,shanvy and megana
    Thanks! I do practise some of the ideas but now onwards i will try the other tips also.

Good regards

6. ilite

ilite Senior IL'ite