Significance of Kolam

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Jun 22, 2006.

1. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Lovely posting as usual

Dear Mrs C,
    That was a lovely posting with a good photo. When you talk about exercise, in these modern times we have to go to gym to get our calories burnt.

I am fortunate since we live in our independent house that I try to draw kolam as much as I can. Not as good as yours though:cry: Love your pictures and that was a good idea to draw on both sides.Will remember when we settle in India some day.

I have one request from you.My son keeps asking me why we have to use right hand for everything,for eg when we put money in the Hundi etc.The explanation I give is Lakshmi is in our right hand.I want to know if that was right.Can you shed some light on that.I want to give him the right info.Thanks and looking forward to next Thursday.Until then.

Love,

2. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Thanks Vidhya for the tip....am now looking for an auspicious day to start showing off kolams on my doorstep!:mrgreen:
    I do have stickers of kolams which i use in the pooja room....so....

3. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

dear Chithra,

I read it just now..I know about kolam , have heard and have seen at Sakthi Amma's house in Thrissur.
    KP Namboodiris(dandha dhavana choornam) are in our village and one among them is our neighbour. In my childhood I was a frequent visitor of their house and they would take me to show their sarppakkavu, bcos am a nature lover and of my curiosity. They wouldn't make kolams in their house, haven't seen outside. I don't remember seeing it. Can every hindus do it?
    Thanks for the excellent article.

4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

As far as I know.......

Dear Vandhana,
    Padi kolams denote an auspicious occasion.When there is such a kolam drawn outside the house, passers by will understand that there is a function in the house. It is customary to draw ( maakolam, padi kolam, ezai kolam) for functions. In that also the kolams of Saivites & Vaishnavites are beautifully different. This is also for the passerby to make a note of the same. I love the " arched lines" that the Vaishnavites draw, that now adays, I draw it very often, for the exquisite beauty of it ! In street houses, as you walk down the road, all these can be identified, without enquiring !
    Since I love maakolam, now a days I soak 3-4 cups of raw rice, grind fine & dry it thoroughly in chennai hot sun ! I store the dried powder & I can have maakolam at a moment's notice !
    Advantages of living in Chennai or South for our life style are endless.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

5. Chitvish

Hello anjana !

I think it is more habit & custom bound that we use right hand. Since the left hand is used for cleaning purposes, it is never used for auspicious things.
    Also 90% of people are right-handed. I do not think, this has any religious significance.
    I personally am against parents insisiting on all these minor things - God is not going o punish us for all these !!
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

6. Chitvish

Hello Shahana !

As far as I know, Malayalees do not have the " kolam custom". They do only " athappoo" for Thiruvathira. I think it is a typical Tamil custom to draw kolam. I do not know about other states.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Rang layi Rangoli!

Dear Chitra,
    Just as the heavy questions about some unwanted aspects of our religion and society started bogging us down, your write up on the Kolam brightened our thoughts and the pictures coloured our screens!
    The article itself was a beautiful kolam, your explantions and description were like the dots and lines of a kolam. Although I have always enjoyed the beautiful sights of kolam and have often wondered at its intricacies, I never knew that there was so much significance behind a kolam. I was easily appeased with the little knowledge I had about the effects of cowdung, rice flour and most of all about it being 'Lakshmikaram' to a house. I was really impressed and amazed at the amount of information you have provided us.
    The pictures were lovely and so inviting. If I could, I would be at your doorstep tomorrow:) I only vaguely remember seeing the red colour being used in kolams. What is 'kavi' which is used for kolams..pl can you enlighten me on it? The combination of red and white looks so pretty and its significance was so profound.
    Since coming to US, I have seen that many of my friends here adorn their entrances with kolams. I was not tempted till now. On Monday I am having some friends come over. You bet I will have a kolam on my doorstep too:) If it turns out good, I will try to post the picture here, that is, if I can manage to upload it!!:(

Love, Kamla

8. Chitvish

Start thr kolam tradition from Sunday, amavasai & auspicious for a beginning !

Kavi is the red colour you are mentioning about. It is VERY FINELY sifted " red sand ( chemman)" which is used in kolams. Previously, it used to leave indelible stains on the floor. But now such nice quality is available in tiny packs & the cleaning is also effortless. From my younger days, I have seen my mother apply kavi on tuesdays and fridays besides auspicious days, without fail. She used to sat " this keeps away durdevathais from entering the house". What better protection can we ask for, at the entrance ?
    Do post your kolam without fail.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

9. jayana

jayana Senior IL'ite

Question

Dear Mrs.Chitra,

Though I have not replied to any of the discussions earlier, I have been a regular reader of this thread...its really interesting and am glad also that such a thread has been started and progressing well.....am able to know many facts that seemed like a thing in the fog.

I liked your article on Kolams.....I miss drawing kolams here as everything is carpeted. Back in India, whenever I got a chance I used to draw beautiful kolums..everybody used to appreciate it...I am good at drawing:tongue

I would like to know why Amavasai is regarded as a good day to start something new or an auspicious day. Is it good to be born on Amavasai day?
    What about Full moon day?

Love n regards,
    Jay

10. Chitvish

Please do send your feedbacks !

Dear Jay,
    You write that you have been following this thread from the beginning, but have not shared your ideas with me here. But, why, Jay ? Exactly like my friend Sridhar, I am also inclined to write " I wll wilt away in indifference. Lack of response will take the life out of my writing ! "
    Except a few " regulars" & my " faithfuls", others perhaps read through, but do not bother to send their F B s - how do I sustain ?
    I have alrady decided to make it bimonthly on alternate thursdays !
    Now, coming to your query, AS FAR AS I KNOW, amavasai is always considered a special day for our forefathers - we call it pithru dinam. We make offerings to them on that day. So whatever we start to do on that day, has their full sanction & blessings for success. So it is good to make a start for anything.
    Birth ( like only death) is the most natural event ! There is nothing like, being born on amavasai, pournami, rahu kalam is bad !
    To share with you, my son was born on Adi Pournami & Grand daughter on Adi amavasai. Both (touche) were good in studies & well employed, as well ! I also do not believe in good stars, bad stars - it is best to accept what God has pre ordained for us in life, happily.
    Please keep in touch - I know I can take liberties with you, Jay ma !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.