Significance of Kolam

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Jun 22, 2006.

1. vijiramesh99

vijiramesh99 New IL'ite

hello

I wish to put maakolam for functions.If anybody could post some designs for maakolam it will be helpful (big ones). As we see in marriage halls and other functions .thanks in advance

2. LakshmiAnand

LakshmiAnand Senior IL'ite

Hari om chitraji
    This really made a very good reading on kolam.
    I would like to share something... i have not read the earlier FBs so.. i really do not know if somebody has said it earlier..
    I have seen people in Maharashtra (especially the Brahmins) do kolam (they call it raangoLi) every morning the same way we do.. and also i have seen women in Bihar do it for special occasions.
    Since i live in a rented house, my house owner doesnt appreciate me making maakolam. so what i have settled down is a chalk kolam.
    Thank you for your forum to give me an opportunity to let me share this.

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Lakshmi,
    It is sad that your house owner does not realise the artistic value, a makolam adds to the entrance!
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Dear Chithra Mami,

I also live in an apartment and find it difficult to draw kolams right outside the front door as the milkman will definitely step on it and the paperwala will fling the newspaper right on the kolam. He would make an accurate marksman and win gold for India as he hits the bull's eye, every time! I have also started putting 2 small kolams on either side and write 'Om' and 'Shree' below them. On festival days, the entire area is decorated with a big Maa Kolam. What a good idea, now I too will do like you and start maa kolams on Thursday nights to welcome Lakshmi on Friday.

Thanks for all the innovative ideas,
    Padma Srinivas

5. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear all,
    As our type of living changes , our styles too change. I agree flat dwellers find it difficult to put kolam at the door step. But our basic kolam (star of david, curved lines) are energy lines .If you are sensitive to energy (those who meditate regularly) can feel similar lines running thro the body. so when we put the kolam (energy lines) it energizes the home or enhances the energy of the home. No one deny the energy of sri yantra ,hridaya kamalam which is also kolam and energy enhancer.
    So if you can please put the kolam with reverence at least in the prayer place. My mom who stays in flat she has plain board where she draws the kolam and places the Diya (villaku) on it.
    May God bless you
    Jpatma

6. sumasandeep

sumasandeep Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the Kolam [Rangoli/mukku] significance & its values as well as benefits too :)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  7. SeethaHari

SeethaHari New IL'ite

Dear,

Very nice article and very informative.

8. maduraikutty

maduraikutty New IL'ite

Dear Chitvish,
    I was looking for posts on Vedanta and was impressed to find yours. I am a student of Pujjya Swamiji Dayananda Saraswathi and regularly attend camps with my family at Arsha Vidya Gurukulam in PA,USA.
    I am learning a lot from your posts slowly whenever I get time.Today, I read the one about Kolams- Kavi and makolam etc.,
    I am also from Madurai, did Bsc.,( chemistry) from Fatima College, did correspondence courses for M.A., married for 28years and with two chidren, a boy and a girl, both in college.
    Hope you will be one of my friends at Indus Ladies.Loving regards, Maduraikutty.

9. SeethaHari

SeethaHari New IL'ite

Dear Chitvish,

I was wondering what the red lines signify. You cleared it for me . Thankyou .
    Also I am very ardent fan of Rangoli/kolam/muggulu. I used to participate at school, college and university levels in competitions. I have put all some of my thoughts and patterns about this beautiful tradition of rangoli in my blog and want to add to it as I gather more info,

Cheerful Readiness: muggulu

If time permits give your valuable comments.

Thanks again,

SeethaHari

10. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Dear Chithu

Your article on kolams took to back to my Madurai days ... I remember my house owner mix water & dung and sprinkle it in our entrance. This was the scene at each house in the morning 5-6AM. You could see the whole street in unison ! Also reminded of the .... (i forget which month) yellow flower kept in the middle of the kolam.

My mom still draws kolams with rice-flower.
    Also, can u tell me if there is any difference/significance between normal, pulli, ezhai and padi kolam. Can you post samples please ....
    I know normal kolams (stars and the likes). Also know some small pulli kolams. And the Function kolam (4 inward arches with chemman kolam).

regards
    Ramya