Significance of hair offering?

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by suma21, Nov 15, 2007.

1. suma21

suma21 New IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I want to know the significance of hair offering of child (0-3yrs).We dont have this tradition in our family but keep getting suggestion from friends to offer my 2 year old kids hair before she turns 3,they say removal of birth hair is good traditionally & also she may get good thick straight hair which is extremly curly now .I personally feel god will definetly do not need birth hair ,all he needs is devotion.Wish to know the significance of Hair offering in Hindu culture .Please share your views

Regards,
    Suma

2. suma21

suma21 New IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I am surprised no one answered from long time.I am sure many of you would have offered your kids hair,please share the significance of the same.

Thanks in Advance
    Suma

3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

I remember my mother once told me that she read somewhere in a magazine that after the hair removal, we are asking the Lord to see the fate written on the child /person and have mercy on them.

sriniketan

4. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Hi Suma

Was thinking about the answer for long time, since I saw your post.

Scientifically speaking, removal of birth hair is required for good bacteria to enter your scalp and aid in growth, rejuvenation of a strong scalp. This inturn helps in health growth of hair. you can notice, once the hair is removed, the scalp is soft as anyother part of the baby's body. Whereas in adults is strong. It is this tonsuring process, which helps to grow a strong, healthy scalp which supports hair,prevents dust and other organisms entering the inner part, handles shock during when we get hit.

Religiously, having hair on head adds to the beauty of an individual. If you would have read, ancient tamil litreature quotes crowning of a king as "mudi sooduthal".Hair is definitely the pride of any individual. Datz y in villages, even today, we see the habit of tonsuring, if someone commits mistake.It is a token of insulting one's pride. Datz y when sm1 boasts, we say,"Don't let pride get in your head, Head weight is bad".Tonsuring is a must of sanyasis. It is a symbol of surrendering their pride.

By tonsuring a baby's hair, we (parents) acclaim on behalf of the baby (as he/she cannot claim for self as babies) that the baby will surrender all its pride before the almighty and learns how to be humble in life.and mostly this happens before the family deity(kula deivam), depicting the child will accept and follow the worship as his/her forefathers did.

Hope this clarifies.

Luv

Ridge

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

nice explanation, Ridge!

sriniketan

6. suma21

suma21 New IL'ite

Hi All,

Thank you senthan,srineketan & ridge for the valuable suggestion.Ridge you clarified all the doubts i had,will surely arrange for Hair offering for my daughter in temple.My Mother-in-law told me to take decision ,so i was confused without proper info...thanks for clarrifying at right time.

Thanks & Regards,
    Suma

7. mohana

mohana Silver IL'ite

very nice explanation ridge.

8. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Dear Suma, Sriniketan and Mohana

It is a pleasure to share views and it is doubled when you acknowledge !!!! Thank you all !!

Luv

Ridge

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  9. sainirav

sainirav New IL'ite

Hi Ridge,
    Nice explanation and i feel i am understanding the significance and meaning of our customs through IL.