1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

"Signature Indian dress : Saree or Salwar?"

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by Malini Iyer, Jun 15, 2006.

1. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Hands up for Salwar

After reading all the posts I went to my cupboard to count the number of sarees and the salwars I have. I have sarees thrice the number of salwars.

But... But... But.. I always prefer salwar for sarees and sarees are only for special occasions like marriage, functions and festivals. But whenever I see a new vareity of saree or new design I long to get it.

A few weeks back I decided that I am wearing sarees on Fridays so I can use up all the simple ones which I have regularly.

As they are worn only a few times they have not gone old and so I dont have the mind to give them away. Also new ones keep adding like the first saree in all these 9 years my husband got for my Birthday and the semi silk saree that my Uncle got me for his daughter's marriage.

So the number of sarees keep adding up. But still when I purchase I get only materials to stich and wear it promptly due to the convinience.

So three cheers for Salwars though Sarees are really elegant and beautiful if worn.

2. kanaka

kanaka Bronze IL'ite

I happened to read an article which mentioned we have the concept of sarees from Abyssinia many centuries ago. Whatso ever I consider saree" as our national costume. It is very elegant, looks gaitful as she walks. Take the case of Indira Gandhi.
    The present is towards salwar, but saree remains our dress by default. kanaka:2thumbsup:

3. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Hi all
    One thing I can say for sure: the saree is a boon for out of shape women like me. I would die a thousand deaths if I had to appear in public in a salwar kameez or jeans after I have had a prosperous festival season or have been tardy on the daily-constitutional front.

:thumbsupfor saree, the ultimate cover-up job !

Manjula

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

I read through the replies of this article. My vote is for sarees. They can be used even after years(But the blouses are the ones to be altered) even if our shapes change.
    For salwar, you had to maintain the same shape to fit in it.
    This was what happened to me last year.
    I am wearing only the saree here, in US. But my daughters wanted me to wear salwar and asked my parents to buy one for me and so my husband brought it from India. I was very hesitant to put it on. I am wearing only those 2 salwars, if I am on a trip to India and back. One for going to and one for coming from India. It is comfortable that way.
    But last year when I tried it I was shocked to see that I had put on weight and was not able to fit in it correctly.
    As I had already said this will not be the case in wearing sarees.
    Eventhough it depends on one's convenience, surrounding, culture and jobs, mine is for saree.
    As Vidya pointed out ,this time when I go over to India, I had planned to learn to wear the nine yards from my grandma.

sriniketan

5. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello

vote vote for sarees..?
    six yards
    a little more or less
    sometimes nine or ten
    can drape a woman
    thin medium build or well bt
    a few adjustments in pleats..
    you can wear mine
    or i can wear yours
    provided we have the same
    liking and saree care...
    it can be used for babies
    can be used as jhoola
    used to dry wet grains..
    they still use it instead of
    s.napkins
    under the bed as bedsheets
    stitch pillow covers for soft feel
    tear it like in the movies to put a
    ...patch over injury....!!

chudis and salwars look cute too
    but i love sarees...
    cotton silk or georgettee...

housecoats maxi..etc
    you can have just two or three
    wear the same every alternate day?
    saree to be more colourful.....!!!!!!!!

sathya

1 person likes this.
  6. madhu11

madhu11 Bronze IL'ite

I think Saree is the indian dress. Although now women who are working or even stay at home women are wearing shalwars. Saree brings the feminine
    part of you that I think shalwar doesn't and morever saree is more elegant.

7. ritaroy

ritaroy Bronze IL'ite

I agree sari is the signature of Indian dress. It’s a beautiful outfit that fits Indians nicely. But things are changing overtime. Even the wearing pattern of sari changes from last century. Now a day sari is the occasional dress I think. Most of the Indians like salwar now. It’s easy to wear useful for working and traveling. Salwar is a modest dress as well it covers most part of the body if worn with a full sleeved Kameez which matched with the Indian culture. My daughter, daughter in law, my mother and I always ware salwar.