1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Sightseeing in Maine

Discussion in 'Indians in Maine' started by vasera, Apr 28, 2009.

1. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

Hi Preethi, can u tellme what is there to see in RI, and catskill mountains.
    I have been wanting to go somewhere for a trip but friends are scaring me saying this is not a right time to go due to the swine flu. they say dont go to beach, crowded places etc, what do u say?

2. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Priya ,

It is just about staying away from confined areas.. Now, even this is not possible to working folks isnt ? :)

All we have to do is just take care.. Use hand sanitisers or alcoholic rubs. Wash hands well. That is all.

Beaches are soo vast.. I dont see why anyone shouldnt be going there. Even if a person sneezes in one corner how on earth is it going to travel upto us ! :) Dont get pysched. Just enjoy the summer.

Since we are yet to go to RI and Cat-skill, we dont know the details. But our friends who visited there said Cat-skill is good during Fall. So we may go there around Aug - Sep.

We are planning a trip to RI. There is a wesite called visitri somthing. Just google it out.. You have so much details there. We are planning to visit Newport and Block island. I am still looking into what best we friends can do there.. Beach and boating will be dfntly in provided it is not raining or low temperature. The rest I am still deciding.
    tripadvisor.com is another lovely site which me and my hubby back on for travel details.

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

The Cat skills are good from June through October. It has been a tourist area for the last 150 years especially for NYC folks escaping the heat (just like Indian hill station). My area in the western Cat skills (sorry for spelling but that emoticon gets started) has all sorts of things going on in the summer. Let me give you some links. I can direct you for finding cheaper motels as in the summer we can have amazingly high rents in some places. Also, lots of venues are open air so the swine flu worries should be less.

Caramoor Center for Music and the Arts
    Glimmerglass Opera
    National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum: Home
    National Soccer Hall of Fame: Welcome
    Hanford Mills Museum
    fenimore art museum®
    The Farmers' Museum®
    The Northeast's premier natural show cave, Family Fun, New York State Attractions
    www.westkc.org

A few of our many religious centers:
    Shree Muktananda Ashram
    Zen Mountain Monastery
    Zen Buddhism at The Zen Studies Society

Let me know your interests if none of these hits the mark. Our area is noted for its clean water, air and lack of traffic.

Some trivia: the word kill tacked on to the end of many names in NYS is a Dutch word from the early settlers that means brook.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  4. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

Thankyou Preethi and Tashidelek. will check those links.
    I am looking for 2 to 3 days stay in a scenic locations, with something interesting for my 3 yr old and we cannot do much of hiking, etc as i am preg. so just relaxation mainly.

5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Vpriya:
    Since you are in Jersey, how about some r&r in the Poconos? That is an easy drive and they have family resorts. Some of them you pay an all inclusive fee and everything is provided: room, swimming, entertainment in evening, day care, sports, etc etc. That might be a very good alternative considering your situation.

Here's one: went there years ago for only a daytime attendance...its very nice

http://www.woodloch.com/resort/default2.aspx?id=2#traditional

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  6. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

Thankyou for the link. i have saved it, we did go to poconos few times, this resort looks good.

7. madhurisatya

madhurisatya Silver IL'ite

Hi,

Ladies, please give some tourist spots in Maine and Boston.In boston we are planning to see whale watch, MIT.Is there any others to see.

8. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Madhuri ,

Bar Harbour is good in Maine..

In MA, besides the whale watch, you can take the duck tour.. You could also visit the Mystic Aquarium in Connecticut. It is very good. It is 2 hrs from MA. Also Rhode Island is a good one to visit !

Not many activities in MA.. You can drive to New Hampshire and Vermont too if you are travelling to Maine from Boston.. Those two are very good places..