1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sick Parents Thrown Out

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Jun 26, 2014.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

I am reminded of a story recently read.We have often read about the grandson telling his father to take care of the mud plate in which the grandfather is fed, so that in future he can also feed his father in the same mud plate.
    Here the story is about the aged mother of a rich son ,left in a home. In her last days, the home authorities send for the son. The old lady is gasping for breath. She requests her son to provide a table fan to her. The son is surprised. She a few more hrs to live. Why does she need a fan.
    The mother slowly but clearly tells her son that recently her grandson had come to the home to collect details so that he could leave his father there.
    The mother feels that her son accustomed to A/ C style of living may suffer much for want of a simple fan. She desires that her son, in his old age should not suffer from stuffiness.
    The fan arrives and she leaves the world.
    As long as such parents are there Kamalji's plans may not work out.
    Reg Viswa's suggestion in the last para of his mail, many youngsters may come forward to take care of elders if the scheme fructifies. But parents, out of ego or fear, may not like live with others. When their own children have desrted them, how can they believe others?What is the guarantee that they may not be insulted by the adopter's parents?
    People with pensionable service need not fear that much.For others who have necessarily to financially depend on their sons/daughters,the future seems gloomy.
    We cannot blame the parents too. However frugal they might have been, in the absence of Family Planning devices,with more number of children, aged parents with costly dangerous ailments how could they think of saving for themselves. Their fond hope rests only with children whom they have brought up with utmost care, educated them well?
    There are cases where parents also are at fault.
    Unconditional love, affection etc have lost their meaning.
    For people with limited children, high income and a moderate love for parents, this may not be an issue at all.
    For majority of all others, with more siblings with different economical status, more and more biological disorders, taking care of aged parents is definitely a problem, however much affectionate they are.
    Jayasala 42

2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vishwa,

A wonderful analysis u have done, much better than what i have written. i agree with u that love should be unconditional. The parents will continue to love their children, but that is not the case with children, for most of whom, parents in their old age are a burden and a pain, and it curtails their lifestyle and freedom if they are staying with them.

And parents think that since all that we have belongs to the children, they give away cash, jewellery, and homes to their sons while alive, and hoppe now the sons will take care of them, and the DIL will give good food to them.

But all that money the parents gave, is soon spent on luxuries and trips and cruises and holidays, and now the parents are a burden food and medicine wise.

Why would anyone want to adopt someone else's parents, Vishwa, eveyrone has their own parents or relatives, then why adopt strangers and oldies, and poor oldies at that eh ! think practiocally.

And why should the oldies go and settle in old age homes.Why not stay in the same home that u have, take a reverse mortgage, and get good income, keep sevants,.and live a good life, why depend on sons? Cant they look at the example of Khushwant Singh, who chose to live alone, with out a wife she died, and a son who stays inDelhi itself, but he chose to stay alone, and became productive.Are there not lessons to be learnt from these gentlemen ?

So nopity here, the elderly have to learn to fend for themselves, and have better prepare for their old age a few decades in advance and have sufficent finances saved, to last them a lifetime.
    REgards

kamal

3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vathsala,

Yes i agree with u, , in fact i would tell all my children , see this is what i have, and after we both die, this and this u will each get, so the message gets across that if we want the money, we better behave well.

And the oldies should stay seperate, let the children live their own lives, and they shopuld manage to stay on their own.

Regards

kamal

4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Neetu,

We are 4 brothers. when my younger brother got married, it was a love marriage, my dad had bought a flat and kept it closed, he got it furnishes and gave the key to them to go and stay there. So i guess , in the case u mention, there is nothing to feel hurt, let the son and DIL go and stay seperate, the parents should also have their own freedom, to do as they want.Since all sides are well off, there should be no problem at akll. You get good help these days for a price, so pay and smile is my motto. let each one live their life.

REgards

kamal

5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jaysala,

Well said. The story is good, what he did for his mother, now hi s son is douing it for him.
    Recently a cousin of mine, had his dad in an old age home, for 5 years, and now that old man died, it was the old man who built thebusiness empiore, but he gave all to his only son, and nothing for his 3 daughters, who are not very well off.And it is this son that put him in the old age home.

the old man was stupid, should have retained his share of business, money and property, and live life on his own terms, and gone and stayed seperately from his son, so what if he was a widower, so was khuswant singh, look how he enjoyed life, why cant other elderly do that?

Regards

kamal

6. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,
    A good write up…. I think this time u did not come across excellent jokes… to make us forget the write up and laugh on the jokes.
    My father will retire in another two or three years and after working in a Gulf country for several years and fulfilling many expectations of the family he does not have a very good bank balance to employ so many servants and drivers.
    But one thing he keeps saying is “It is always advisable to keep the cash required for post death rituals under your pillow”. In our tradition there are a lot of rituals to be conducted and being the father of two daughters, he says this money should be stored when you are in your senses itself.
    Later children need not enter into any arguments and can happily conduct all 13 day rituals (even better than their 60th marriage function) heheeeeeeeehe

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  7. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

kamalji, thanks for your feedback. My husband and myself are also staying alone (myself 60 and husband 64) although we have 2 sons - one staying with wife and child a short distance away from our house and another son abroad. And, we do manage by ourselves happily and enjoy our freedom and time with grandchild and household work now. Nowhere have i advocated helpless elders committing suicide. It is when we are physically not able to manage a separate living, we either have to resort to living with children if it is convenient - with full self respect - otherwise, there is always the option of living a secure life in a proper old age home/ retirement community. This is my opinion.

8. RADIODOC679

RADIODOC679 Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamalji!
    What a coincidence .i was discussing retirement home with my hubby& we dont have kids as yet.Things like these are already increasing alarmingly.Better for today's youngsters to invest in good quality retirement homes than buy super luxury apartments.Atleast you dont have to depend on anyone for anything in retirement.Have already seen worst things happenning in my family-parents raising kids completely devoting their maoney,time & in their retirement-children simply shove them off to retirement/old age homes-why daughter in law cannot cook 2-4 chapatis extra,cant talk some soothing words to elderly people(but will more than happily chat useless things online with unknown/vitual friends).& so on!!!1

9. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

It is my personal belief that in old age, people who do not have sons but have only daughters, live a relatively peaceful life.

No son-----> No possessiveness------->No conflicts with DIL-------->No conflicts means peace of mind.

I feel pity on young couple who yearn for a baby boy , while in pregnancy.

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vani,

i dont beleive in rituals, and i have told my family, to forget me the day i die, just do the rituals of 3 days, which is not much, condolences on the 3rd day, and then get on with normal life. No feeding anyone, family or brahmins. i wont be around to see what is done. i would rather that money comes in use for my wife and children.

But these are individual thoughts, this is what i think for myself, yes here in rajasthan they have lavish death ceremonies, people go bankrupt, my maid is one of them, today she gone to someone who has died, god knows when she will come, but we cut money for the days she misses, and pay her extra for the extra days that she comes, so it is her wish, what can we do really.

Regards

kamal