1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sibling Keep Poking And Hurting

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by Vedhavalli, Apr 9, 2022.

1. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Thanks @1Sandhya
    Your points are valid makes lot of sense.
    The problem is I feel my sis is a devil in human form. She will find one or other to crush my soul. Whenever I speak to both of them (trust me) I feel my soul is being eaten.

I told them I don't have money I don't have job even posted on social media for job.
    She too saw that
    Still they won't budge or feel empathetic because of narcissistic attributes.

shravs3 and 1Sandhya like this.
  2. Vedhavalli

No amount of NO works. I told them openly. Said no 100 times still. ...this happens

Amica likes this.
  3. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

@ vadavalli,
    You have written very clearly here that your sis and mom are narcistic. Then, why are you expecting empathy.
    Like I said before you need to outline your strategies,
    * accept they will be like this forever and you can't change them. So, you will never have a normal relationship with them.

* lower your expectation that they will understand you or empathize with. It will never happen.

* stop explaining. No need to explain again. They will use it against you.

* set boundaries. If you said no to sharing expense, stick with it. Its a learning lesson. They are not going to take money forcefully from you. Stay like a rock. Dont change your decision for them. Learn' grey rocking ' ( google or youtube). You can gift them when you feel like doing it and you have enough resources.

* Dont take their reactions to heart. Just console yourself that this is the way they are and its not going to change. This is the main problem now. Your are absorbing everything from them and suffering. Actually you need to leave it through the other ear.

* try your best not to talk negative. They dont like criticism or anything against them. So talk less, stay with your decision. If they call you the cruelest person, just agree, ok. 'You can think what you like'. Dont take it your heart.

*define boundaries.You need to convey what you need to( ofcourse in a neutral tone), but dont care about their tantrumns. You have to ask yourself how much is good enough. Looks like you already crossed your tolerance level. Dont get emotional infront of them.

* avoid interaction with them as much as you can. Learn about how to handle narcissistic persons in your life ( Dr, Ramani' s youtube channel or may be there are some in your native language ). Empower yourself. Knowledge is power in this case.

* you are an emotional abuse victim. May be you disagree . But, your suicidal thought implies that.

* you need to heal, consult a therapist on how to heal and accept the situation or self-help

* learn how to talk smart, dont share your personal things ( finance, trips, anything ) or share photos of your happy life. Also , learn how to use ' yeah, hmmm, ok, you are correct, ... Etc, and divert topics. You may need a practical approach than emotional one.

* may be you are believing that if you do something differently, they will accept you and understand you. Sorry its a waste if energy and will lead to more heart - breaking situations.

The above steps are not easy- accepting, lowering expectations and not taking everything to heart takes practice. But, you need to practice it for your mental health.

So, take control of your life and be smart. Your well being, health, life and your own family are important than these dramas. Stay firm, less words, more actions, and maintain distance. You are suffering this much because you are sincere, honest and empathetic. Pl dont expect it from them.If not, you will keep on suffering dear frnd. You are important than anything else.

' Arise awake and stop not until the goal is reached."- Swami Vivekananda. Its applicable, here too.

At the same time, do your duties as a sister and daughter within your capabilities (only when its needed or when you can, depending on the stuation) with an emotionally detached mindset.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    shreepriya, Afresh, Laks09 and 3 others like this.
  4. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

I understand that it's very very hard, @Vedhavalli. Not going to lie, it will be hard. The issue here is that you have to create and enforce the boundary - by saying NO. I think even though you say No, unconsciously you are waiting for their permission - and their sympathy. You are in their thrall. Mother and elder sister - these are big figures in our life from childhood so unconsciously we await their validation for our decision, their signal - finally they will realize, they will say it's okay Vedha, yes, yes, I understand you cannot pay.

This is where your knowledge comes in useful. You already know they are narcissists. So you know that validation is NOT going to happen. You will not receive the understanding you crave. And you have to make your peace with that. They will not respond like normal people. They will complain, shout, blame and threaten, create a ruckus, go to any extent. Your task is that you alone have to hold on to the No. DO Not pay the money once you say No - that ACTION alone is what will get through.

It will be tough, yes. This is part of breaking free and setting healthy limits. Ask yourself who is the adult here? Who makes the decision about what you spend - you and h or sis and Mom? Be clear that you are the adult, independent and able to make decisions. And hold on to the NO. Because that is YOUR decision. Under no circumstances can you afford to allow them to decide for you! You are the adult. You will decide what and how much to spend. Hold on to that. The minute you weaken and give in, allow them to decide instead of you, you lose all the hard work that went before.
    1. Say No.
    2. Explain why once and that's it. Leave it. Don't pay.
    3. Maintain relationship ie., call regularly and wish for birthday etc. and BE NORMAL, but minute topic comes up cut it off matter-of-factly - I told you no?, It's already been decided, I can't pay. And then change the topic or cut the call.
    4. Don't explain yourself again and again, don't listen silently while they rant at you. If that's all they want to discuss, then cut the call.
    If sis tries to carry mom's water and calls you confidentially - you know mom is feeling really bad, blah blah..., cut her off and cut the topic, - No I already discussed this with her. Do you have anything else you wanted to tell me? No? Ok, bye.
    That's how they will understand that you are no longer seeking their validation.
    Best wishes dear!

Vedhavalli likes this.
  5. Vedhavalli

Thank you sir viswa, all these words means a lot to me.
    Yes I do check most of the boxes on checklist.
    Will work on myself to boost my self esteem and happiness.
    i realise my family is loosing happiness and becoming sad when i cry or shout for sis or mom's troubles. I hampers my mental & physical health. I clearly see yet unable to practice detachment.
    Literally will take all the meaningful words posted by IL friends.
    Have to practice daily.

Rihana and Viswamitra like this.
  6. Vedhavalli

Can't thank you enough @DDream you mentioned what exactly happening with me.
    I should lower my expectations sometimes my ex boss too tell me dont expect same from everyone.
    Your right, honesty love affection are meaningless....I should start acting as if I really care. Problem is my mom knows how to manipulate me, eg one time when I went to india bought a bangle, mom just came with no mention she will too buy. Suddenly in front of sales person she said she would exchange her old bangle, I was shocked didn't want to create ruckus so she exchanged old for new one, I paid additional charges. Later she tells everyone she just exchanged.
    Such things happened...I try to brush off saying it's for mom. I realized only when after few months she went shopping with my sis to buy some silk saree, sis clearly told she can't buy. Done & done. Mom never brings that up. But one day I confronted why you accepted, but took me granted. She just shouted beyond.... sis joined saying mom already has lot of silk saree. Etc.

Sorry for rant. My tolerance level is in marina trench....bypassed. now they both know can't manipulate me or make me a middleman. So targeting my life.

Will setup a big boundary.
    Stop oversharing details about personal life.

Afresh, Laks09 and Rihana like this.
  7. Vedhavalli

As you all know what's happening
    Due to spring break i didn't call text to mom & sis. Wanted to do spring cleaning myself.
    Unfortunately I got covid19, had severe fever for 3 days with all other symptoms still prevails.
    One morning mom called I said nothing about covid. She kept asking me why voice is like that I told I got covid +.

First thing she told me was "why did you get tested?"
    With severe headache I got super mad asked "why anyone will test because they have symptoms " .
    She is so rock, said "all have covid, just because you tested it came positive"
    Asked when I got I said 3-4 days ago her immediate reply was "why you didn't tell us? "
    I said didnt want to panic you. She said few harsh words, i said i dont want my share troubles bother you in old age.
    Then cut the call.
    Immediately sis called just fake sympathy "must be tough but luckily you don't have job so can rest well" I told yes that's right, have to rest. Cut the call.
    These people make my life messier & bitter.
    After 3 days my husband got positive, no phone or text asking how I'm doing how my child is doing...
    Trust me child's school nurse was more concerned than own blood.
    When i took test my husband said take pic i did, didn't ask why...
    Now tells me one day your sis will say you faked covid19 to create sympathy

Friends of me & my husband supported entire week friends bought food, water, meds.
    They have small kids under 1 without fear they came till our door.
    They helped so much went above and beyond.
    I realized I'm not bad person as my mom says im not friendly person..
    then why so many people would drive morning evenings to drop food snacks etc.
    No one would drop food soup for a bad person.... for this covid19 has to hit me.
    I feel bad to ask help, may be that's my problem it's OK to ask help.
    I'm recovering well. Understood blood maybe thicker than water, it's water which runs life on Earth.
    Thank you all. You guys are my mind I can have mind-mind conversations

Got lot of covid gyan...will share as fun thread.

After reading this thread I'm understanding
    Covid19 may come to person with high stress, because after all these drama I felt weak meek constantly crying feeling miserable.
    I tend keep home clean Organized 3 fresh meals...now 3 weeks laundry is there, rotten fruits veggies in fridge...home needs a professional cleaning. Not because of covid

Amica, shravs3, Afresh and 2 others like this.
  8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Vedhavalli, you have made a start but you have a ways to go. Again you are engaging in the cycle of explaining and rationalizing and thinking that this will change your mother and sister’s mind about your problems. Instead see what happened. You say something is black, she will say no it’s white just for the sake of argument.
    Why get dragged into this silliness and spoil your health and your mood? Either immediately stop the call, or look up and try to practice the grey rock method.
    I’m glad you recovered from Covid. At least you won’t have to worry about the new variant for now.

9. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

Hugs to you @Vedhavalli ! I have followed this thread ( thoguh not fully .. but silently)
    Please trust that i do understand your pain like many others here
    Its also because you are not the only one to have felt like this, many of us have at various points in life experienced similar life truths
    The only thing here is that there is never ending pain .. period! the only way to cope up is by following the steps @DDream lists for you
    You have to just give up o n the expectation. This is a life lesson most ppl learn the hard way as we are all so sensitive when it comes to our most personal relationships and if they turn out this way!

But then coping up is only by letting go, and this wont come on its own, it'll be a conscious call and it will be a fight you put up to yourself to overcome those feelings because it won't come naturally!
    You gotta give your heart itself a cold treatment to bury such feelings. As they same time will be the healer , have faith, but not expectation to have a normal relationship .
    As you might have noticed here too, others having gone through similar experiences still hold the raw feelings when such feelings open again but then you are bound to keep them locked or control its spread and pain when you learn to control the burden of expectation.
    You gotta fully grasp the concept of no expectation and work along! i know its not that you don't understand... it was just a matter of reiterating to keep you on the path!

Take care and speedy healing and recovery to you all

Rihana likes this.
  10. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

This video provide some tips. May be useful.