1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Should Wife Give/share Her Salary With Husband

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by sumalynux, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Some of these issues seem to come up when the demon had been loose on the scene for a long time and got used to the setup. ReTraining the one who is used to something, and would resist change, or even punish the changer for trying to attempt the change would be very difficult.

Sometimes (there are bound to be other issues as well), it is best to trade in the old, and get a new one. And start afresh.

2. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

To answer the question.
    No.

3. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

When a woman works, she does the household work(majority of it) in addition to office work. But men generally dont contribute to household work as much as women. So what is wrong if she chooses to keep the money as her own savings unless they require the money for running the home?

sindmani and sumalynux like this.
  4. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

It's not only housework, woman's role in marriage is greater anyway - pregnancy, childcare etc . A man's contribution is less, on top of that, his parents get old age care from the couple(DIL mainly), while hers do not.
    So, a man should be responsible for food and shelter at-least for wife and kids. I don't think a wife should be sharing the expenses for that. Ofcourse, a wife's contribution cannot/should not be measured in monetary terms. but if it comes to salary and expenses discussion, at-least the man should take responsibility for food and shelter.
    For other things, she can contribute her share, while keeping rest of salary for herself.
    This is my view, don't know whether it is right or wrong...

5. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

Exactly. Men (atleast most of men) dont contribute to household and childcare work. So as long as men is able to meet food and shelter its wise for women to save her earning towards retirement, backup, higher education gifts/medical expense of her parents..

6. swiss

swiss Gold IL'ite

This thread is a big surprise to me. I was in the assumption that working wives contribute equally to finances. I am married for 9 years and working. I took a 3.5 years break in career after coming to USA.
    I am contributing equally to household expenses by paying child care , car loan, home loan emi even when my pay is less.. My husband wants me to contribute for the above items and even then feels like i am not contributing enough. My personal shopping, kids dresses etc is done by me. when i was not wrking my husband refused to spend on me and used to penny pinch a lot.
    Now I have very little leftover which i save. After reading all these posts I am wondering if i am doing too much.
    Anyways thanks for the thread..

shravs3 and Sunshine04 like this.
  7. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

Hi Swiss

There is no one rule which works for all. Different things work for different people. But my "personal opinion" is women SHOULD have some separate savings. Based on mutual need and understanding if wife decides to share some part of her salary for family running fine, but not full salary..

8. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

Very true..I missed pointing the pregnancy child rearing and inlaws maintenance..

shravs3 and sindmani like this.
  9. swiss

swiss Gold IL'ite

Hmm i would always feel guilty if i save something for myself or hide money. How do you save it separately? Doesnt ur husband ask? Give me ideas plz..
    If i reduce my contribution, my husband would be grumbling at all times saying i m a freeloader and pick fights for even silly tiny expenses.

10. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

deleted

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017