1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Should we always try to give both children the same opportunities ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by 2bkind, Jan 16, 2015.

1. 2bkind

2bkind Silver IL'ite

I am writing this after getting a lot of headache over school admissions for my 2nd child. My 1st one goes to one of the best schools in bangalore and I have secured admission for the little one in the same school. However for some inexplicable reason the management has decided to increase the fees of the KG level by 200% (can you believe it) . Infact its more than what I pay for my older one and I am having serious qualms about shelling out lakhs for KG classes.

My concerns are :
    1) will it create inequality between the 2 kids?
    2) how are other parents who have 2 + kids managing? If the fees come up to more than 60K per term for 2 children and at this level (pre primary)... god knows how much we will pay for graduation?
    3) should we accept the fact and somehow manage (for this will make a dent in our savings for future?)
    4) The school is very good and the learning experience my elder one had was amazing but now it has the huge cost attached, I am thinking is it worth it? If I try for some other normal reasonable school for the 2nd one and continue the elder one in the same school , will it create a difference that can't be patched up?
    5) Another option I am thinking about is putting both children in a normal reasonable school from the next academic session. In this scenario , is it an injustice for the older one? She secured the admission on merit , with no donation , recommendation etc...Also her performance had a large part in her sibling getting admission.
    6) what is the guarantee that so called reasonable school does not start charging more in future?

I am go confused considering all the options. Ladies please share your opinions and help me in reaching a decision.

2. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

OP, You and I are sailing in the same boat!

Can you little one get admission into the first standard if she did her KG elsewhere? Are the fees from first standard more reasonable? If yes to both these questions, you can admit your second one to first standard so you save on fees for the first 2 years.

Have you checked around to see if the amazing education experience that you say your older one got is also available at a lower price? For eg I know of some schools which are not on every parent's lips, but deliver a great education nevertheless. If the answer is yes, you could get both the kids transferred into this school.

Having 2 kids in 2 different schools is a hassle for the parent with respect to differing schedules, transportation, PTA meetings etc.

However if you are pushed to the wall and you choose to have the second one in another school, be assured you are not doing anything wrong. You could always try to get the child in the older one's school from 8th or so.

In my opinion, saving for higher education is more important. Good College education is more important in securing good jobs.

1 person likes this.
  3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

2bkind,

I believe, if the basic foundation is strong, a child can manage in any kind of school or environment. Fees increasing by 100% and 200% in a ongoing process and you need to take into figure the escalation. I have paid upto 30k per term/4 terms for both my children together when both were in school, plus the umpteen sundries that crop up. i remember a year when it escalated to more than 1.75lacs/year for both together. that said now one of them is in college while the other is in a higher senior secondary, and the fees that i pay will be shocking for the course that my college goer goes..

coming to your situation, i would prefer the second to get that initial edge that has been so amazing for your first. if you can manage for a couple of years fine. or you could wean off the elder to a reasonbly good school if possible.

The reason, the initial foundation gives them the advantage of being more ahead, more independent that the later years you don't need to sit with them for everything be it regular homework (atleast in many cases)

maybe you need to work out everything and see if it can be smooth sail..

we are always going to be in a confusion, just think of all the pros and cons and take a decision.

5 people like this.
  4. 2bkind

2bkind Silver IL'ite

thanks for your views @butterflyice, @Shanvy ....
    Both valid but opposing points... A major issue in deciding this is my sudden waking up to reality of education costs . We have what I consider to be comfortable living and now factoring in such unforeseen increases, makes me feel I have to probably start thinking of working...( I have been a stay at home mom ever since I had my 1st child) and the added pressures that it may bring in.
    Not that I have offers knocking on the door. Its a different battle altogether and being in a non IT field , starting from scratch at 30+ years is not something I am looking forward to. Though I had vague ideas of going back to work after my 2nd one started school, it would have been on my terms and not necessarily to make money. But this situation has changed my outlook.
    I don't think considering X amount , extrapolating the costs will satisfy our future requirement these days . It is a clear signal for us to be prepared for unexpected bombs. I hate to put a lot of extra pressure on my DH. So either I feel I should pitch in financially (don't know how at this point) or cut down on expenses.

What did you ladies to in such situations?

5. sheztheone

sheztheone Platinum IL'ite

OP, you are right in considering the future costs. If you do not want to put pressure on your husband, you can start the career process slowly. For example, you can check around, discuss with some experts/friends and zero in on a particular area/field that you want to start off with. You can prepare yourself with some courses or groundwork, and target to start work say perhaps in a year or so.

Else you can consider starting your own venture, take tuition at home or start teaching at a nearby preschool or something that will not affect your daily schedule too much, thereby allowing you to focus on kids.

Launching a career or getting back to work after kids is a big challenge. But believe me, once you start it, things will fall in place gradually and you will be able to handle it well, as you must already be good at multitasking with 2 kids.

I agree with Shanvy about giving your second a good foundation in the initial stages. Education costs are undoubtedly skyrocketing, but at the end of the day the best thing parents can give their kids is good education. You seem to be doing that with your elder one, so this school is tried and tested in that aspect.

1 person likes this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Since you ask me, mine is a single income family and we have had loads of those unexpected bombs. the only thing that makes sense was to be very clear about the budget. some expenses like medical insurance, kids education are no compromise zones, and we work hard to keep them that way. I was in it, some 22 years back, took the choice of not working then (even when the financial pinch was high) and i have no regret. i believe in my case it was trying to work with what was available and i still do the same. my children needed me so i settled to being a sahm.

I have a daughter and son, and both get the same education, said what my son would want to do is more costlier than what my daughter will do again, the choice of those careers are theirs. their intial pushing on to the university education ladder, from where they can pick up themselves.

I do not want my children to feel that one of them did not get the opportunities that the other got.as a parent i want to be fair and my kids know that.

P.S. people will have different ideas. advices of putting your 2nd one in the elder's school and try to go for a job. this could work or not work for you, but only you can know what will really work for you as a family.

if you find it too hard and pinching you can chose a different good school and put both of them in the same. having both in the same school helps in many ways, if you are going to start working. same timing and more.

all the best.

7. 2bkind

2bkind Silver IL'ite

@sheztheone thanks for your inputs, yes I am also thinking on those lines..its good share some thoughts on this topic here, for if I start this topic with my parents or inlaws they are unable to relate to the present scenario and it ends up adding more confusion.

@shanvy I don't have any backup in terms of parents or inlaws living near by .This was a major factor in my decision to become a sahm... but its looks like the sahm option will become a luxury option in the near future.

Still not at all comfortable with the idea of leaving kids at a day care. So I have to budget. budget. budget for now.... Not that there is a immediate financial catastrophe .. but visions of future with us struggling to fund a college education is making me have palpitations.. for I am planner and want to see into the future as clearly as I can manage, but the reality is casting a fog. So, until I have a sure plan ahead, I am likely to have sleepless nights.

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@2bkind i can understand. and i have been in those no back up for many years now, as i have been the back up for all.

and nobody can have a clear vision of the future, love. you never know what is in store. you can plan and execute as much as possible, taking into account the permutations and combinations. that you are thinking of your college fund means you are in the right direction. so plan and work it out. and your children may be one of those matured ones who will not expect you to fund their college.

sleepless nights and stress affects the whole family. a heart to heart discussion with your husband, and working out where you need to crop and not cut, where you can improvise without spending loads and things. and if things have been working great for you, do not rock the boat, look for things that can work without the going to extremities.

1 person likes this.
  9. anahita5

anahita5 Gold IL'ite

We are two siblings and we both studied in the same school.I don't know how i would feel if my sibling was not in the same school. I won't like and neither would he. Your kids are probably too young to get that. If you can get your younger one in same school later or pay more and send her to same school. You are planning on working anyways. I won't put price on education. If you think the school is good, go for it.

10. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Yes , you should give same opportunities to both kids . Now may be the good time to check your first child's future educational expenditure too and decide if you will be able to continue in the same school till end.

kg classes are only two years , what about the cost of later classes for your second child , will you be able to afford it . If it is just a matter of increased expense for two years , I would shell out more . But if you don't know how the costs are going to be in future , you have to look realistically at your income and decide if it is really worth for putting all your savings for this school .