1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Should Smoking be banned?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by InnerBliss, Mar 9, 2012.

1. InnerBliss

InnerBliss Gold IL'ite

Addiction to any thing is not beneficial. The society can advance in all aspects only if the citizens are independent and completely self actualized.

I agree that Smoking must be made illegal because that habit makes the person dependent on it and the person consumes most of his valuable time smoking! After the gap of some hours, the person starts being anxious and he feels that he cannot concentrate on anything without smoking. Smoking gives him pleasure and makes him feel relaxed for the time being. On the other hand, it pollutes the surrounding area. Not only him but the other people around who inhale that smoke get affected. Gradually, all these people may develop chronic illnesses. These illnesses are incurable at some stage.

Our life is indeed very valuable. Government should gravely think about the benefits of allowing the manufacturers or the smokers do their work freely. It should think about the influence of these people on our next generation. No doubt, smoking is prohibited in some public areas and organizations. To add, it is only allowed to the people who are above 18 years old. On the other hand, the adult people are given the authority to play with their own lives. It would be really insane to allow the addicted people to make wrong decisions for their lives.

The journey of thousand miles starts from first step. It is the acute need of the hour to save the society from such human created devastation by enacting some strict rule against the production of tobacco. Government should definitely ban smoking and save the valuable lives of millions of people.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Thank you for this blog. I believe tobacco companies are one of the largest contributors to the political campaigning of major parties. They have one of the largest budgets in the world for advertisement. The governments ask them to put tag lines like "smoking is injurious to health" in the cartons as well as individual packs but does it really mean anything? What about people who are passively inhaling the smoke just because a few would like to relish smoking.

In the United States, most of the hospitals are suing the manufacturers of cigarettes because they ended up treating medicare patients for years who were suffering from cancer caused by smoking for years.

I would suggest the following immediate steps by the government, even if they are not able to ban smoking:

1) No more advertisement and publicity for cigarettes

2) Manufacturers of cigarettes are supposed to set aside a 50% of their profits as redemption fund for curing the people from cancer caused by smoking

3) Tax on cigarettes should be increased by 100% so that consumers would think twice before buying cigarettes

4) Distributors of cigarettes are also jointly made responsible for problems caused by smoking

5) Insurance companies instead of increasing premium for smokers should exclude cancer as a rider for smokers so that they need to pay for their own treatment

After all that who would have an incentive to manufacture, distribute and smoke?

Viswa

3. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

Very apt blog to the present day society Innerbliss.

Even the Government banned smoking in public areas, who are following it?? I didn't find any difference before & after the ban. It's just another rule made in the books. That's it.

And coming to the point of Banning / Stopping Tobacco manufacturing, I wonder will that ever be possible?? Rules are being made for the proper functioning of the society but the implementation & following them defintely depends on individuals.

Every adult whoever is smoking, knows the ill effects of it and some would have even witnessed the trauma of the chronic illness creates, but who is listening to all those??
    Now it has became a part of stylish attitude in people.

Just to quote one of my experience, given a chance one of my colleague smokes all the time day / night. Once I have asked him, Dont you fear that you will be effected with some or other chronical illness. For that he said some stupid logic and I found that it's better to keep my mouth shut.

Ofcourse, I agree the governments should take some stringent measures to stop the addiction / bad habits which creates millions of patients but will they ever do it?? And even suppose some governments creates a such a rule, I doubt some or other will start a movement for Freedom of Living or some thing like that. (Like the bollywood actor who intiated a PIL against the Maharashtra Government's new legislation of banning alocholic products till the age of 25.)

4. mums

mums Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for touching an important topic dear.

From long time i was worried.......even if we don't smoke....we are Passive smokers and we are bound to get affected.

They have banned in blah blah........but i haven't seen the rule being followed strictly. The officials don't even bother to punish those who break rules.

Let us wait............

5. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

It's a good and useful Blog!!The chain smokers they doesn't bother about their health and unnecessary they give problem to their near and dear ones!In our work place we do have some chain smokers.In every half an hour, they used to go outside for smoking.Without having smoke they can't concentrate on their work.Some times they become more aggressive, and getting irritated,for nothing.Really some people are suffering because of smoking and they donot know, how to stop that bad habbits and they are spoilling their life. So the Government should take some serious step and the they should definitely ban smoking and save the valuable lives of millions of people!!Thanks..

6. nihasvin

nihasvin Platinum IL'ite

Definitely it has to be banned!! But I dont think that to be easy in a country where govt opens bar and provides cheaper stuffs.

7. strangerrr

strangerrr Gold IL'ite

Inner Bliss,

Very much a thought provoking blog and much needed one for the hour. Written shortly & very much strictly to the issue of smoking.

Going by what's written "The journey of thousand miles starts from first step", lets hope if we could have get implemented any of five suggestion (which are the nearest possibility to reality, yet light years away) mentioned by Mr. Vishwa.

8. InnerBliss

InnerBliss Gold IL'ite

Thank you very much my dear friends Pallavi4me, Viswamitra, Strangerr, Mums, Suryakala and Nihasvin for your beautiful comment. My computer does not work at home so got here at work time to quickly convey Thanks. I really miss reading your valuable blogs due to inavailability of computer at home.

Hope it gets okay soon and I start getting the benefit of reading your thoughts and interact more with you. You all have a lovely week ahead. (I work on Sunday as well :) )

Best regards

9. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A thought-provoking blog IB and a much needed one as well. I totally agree with the suggestions made by our viswa sir, if implemented it certainly will bring down the number of people who indulge in it.

Thanks was such a great post dear.

Akila

10. InnerBliss

InnerBliss Gold IL'ite

Thank you dear Akila for your precious comment and the encouragement :)