1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Should in-laws sit in front seat or backseat of car?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Rihana, Jun 29, 2011.

1. sheztheone

sheztheone Platinum IL'ite

OP, I personally do not think this is a big deal. Like others have said, you are going to get to sit next to DH for a lifetime. So what if you have to forsake this privilege for some months? I always let MIL/FIL sit in front because they take pride in the fact that their son is driving. Moreover, FIL does not like to sit next to DILs (shoulders/arms brushing against each other etc.) If it is going to make them happy, why not?

OTOH, each of us have our pet peeves wrt ILs. I for instance just cannot bear MIL's I-know-it-all attitude and the tons of comments/suggestions that she gives. Some may say that I gotta take it into one ear and let it out through the other, and Im working on it, but it still bugs me a lot. So if the front seat thing really bothers you, you may want to talk to DH about it. If he understands that it is important to you, he can probably openly say something like "Wifey, come on into the front," before u all get in.

2. ars

ars Platinum IL'ite

That's the spirit. Since the passenger seat is on the right side of the driver my mil used to say that the americans really follow our Hindu tradition of wife being on the right side of h even in the car. And she used also say remember your the right one in all walks of your life together to me to irritate my h when we used to have our disagreements in front of her.

3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the interesting and varied responses.

I don't agree with the 'you are with DH for the rest of your life, so why care so much about who sits where in car'. That is one more "logical" reasoning to justify yet another "compromise" expected of the good ole Indian DIL.

For the sake of discussion, if the woman is driving, and her mother or MIL wants to sit next to her... :)

4. beerbal

beerbal Silver IL'ite

Gives new meaning to the phrase 'turf war/battle'. Some battles are just not worth it and this IMO belongs up there.

Also, if you have teen age daughters and a weird looking distant nephew of your hubby shows up, I will not be surprised to see you take the back seat with your daughters happily offering the 'designated' seat to him as if you are being such a good host :)

5. RadiantCat

RadiantCat Gold IL'ite

I am upfront. I just read the OPs post and did not dare to read the responses. The question originates from a small mind and that seeks validation. If sitting in the car, or visiting inlaws is such a nuisance, muster up courage and don't ever care about the outcome and ask them to stay back wherever they are. Let them live with dignity and honor and you in your small little sick world.

6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

That could very well be true, or like another poster said - it could depend on the person's nature and what, if any, are the other issues associated with the India folks visiting.

And to make it gender equal, if a stylish looking distant niece turns up, I might have her sit next to her Uncle in the front and myself sit in the back seat with my son. :wink:

7. mickeymini

mickeymini Gold IL'ite

Even i feel that this is not a big deal at all. If you are going to give him the directions then you better sit in the front so that it will be easy for both you and your DH. Mostly i dont get the opportunity to sit in the front seat since my LO will not sit alone at the back seat (This is the case when only three of us are there). If my inlaws visit my place it depends where we go. Sometimes i try to sit in the front or give up the seat to my FIL. If at all i really wanted the front seat when my ILs are there i would tell my DH about it before starting from the home only. So he will tell them that let her (me) sit in the front seat. So maybe if you dont want to leave your place you can tell your DH in advance to inform about your wish. There is nothing wrong in telling it to your DH. This is my :my2cents.

8. RajshreeAkku

RajshreeAkku Silver IL'ite

Hey ladies,

We haven;t bought a car till now (in India) but are planning to buy one. After that also Its always my hubby's say which is the last word at home. He, with his strong points and strong and willfull attitude, tells his dicision, which all have to follow (including ILs).. And it depends onhis mood as well.. Sometime he will have mood for his Father and would ask him to sit in front, Sometimes ME.

I will never bother who sits in front,, as long as my hubby is peeping at me thru the front mirror:rotfl

I think this pleasure we wont get by sitting in the front seat:) Am I right ladies? Especially when in laws are there with you, these small peepings and winkings thru hiding them, will be so thrilling!! And enjoyable!!

And when inlaws are not around, who cares what u do, here u sit, its u and him to decide!!!!

9. NJPunjabi

NJPunjabi New IL'ite

What if your inlaws are staying with you on US (not visiting)... when you go alone with your DH its fine but in family trips!?!??!

10. arty2010

arty2010 Bronze IL'ite

When BIL visits he sits in front and when my father visits also he sits in front..i sometimes prefer to sit at the back just for change and let anybody beit MIL or SIL sit in front:) but as someone put it ...the place is usually for the same sex as driver and in unspoken terms - "the oldest, heaviest( so as not to inconvenience others at back seat)