1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Should I start formula for my 2 month old?

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by satin, Jun 10, 2010.

1. satin

satin Silver IL'ite

My son will be 2 months this friday,the thing I am concerned about is he always sticks his tongue out after each feeding(
    I read in internet that it means he is hungry),even if he nurses for 25 mins still he will stick his tongue out.My milk flow is not so great but he is gaining weight and is active when he is awake.I also make sure that he is drinking milk when I am feeding,so I think he is not simpply sucking,probably at sometimes he maybe,but this is bothering me so much,sometimes he lnurses for a very short time for 3-4 days and he will look so lean suddenly,do you thinkI should talk to his doctor about this,should I start formula feeding also for him.I need your advice,thanks.

2. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

I don't think sticking out the tongue means he is hungry...New borns do lot of different faces..so it might be just one of them...

Is he still crying after breastfeeding sessions? Is he having enough wet diapers?? If he is still crying after each breastfeeding session, then may be you have problems with your supply..If he is gaining weight then you are fine..
    Breastfeeding for 25 mins is normal in newborns...Specially they look for a lot of comfort...So long breastfeeding session are quiet common..

If you are still concerned I would suggest check with your Paed..

3. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

i second everything that sudha said, satin, if u introduce formula this early, it is likely that ur moderate milk supply will decrease further, if u are okay with it, u may introduce formula.
    but if he is growing fine, is happy, pees well, there is less to worry...i remember there were days i was nursing by daughter when she was that young, 45 mins at a stretch and this will go on for 3-4 hours in the evening... all this is so common with itty bitties.

4. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

oh and about the tongue thing, ur son has just discovered his tongue! and that he can stick it out! lol

5. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Agree with Sudha and Poonam. Our BM supply is defineltely adequate for the LOs atleast util 4-5 months. So as long as he is not crying, he is active and gaining weight ....just relax

6. satin

satin Silver IL'ite

Hi ladies,thank you all so much,yes he is gaining weight,pees well and has plenty of wet diapers and is very active when he is awake,I was just worried about the tongue thing and he is not crying after feedings,so I thought may be he is still hungry,I will also talk about this to his pead in his next dr visit.But atleast I feel confident and relieved now :)

7. bunchofroses

bunchofroses Bronze IL'ite

I once saw on discovery channel, that babies sticking tongue out is also baby language. They try to communicate by sticking thier tongue out. Isnt that cute :)

8. quneey

quneey New IL'ite

hii,
    even my baby do stick her tounge out..its common...
    and even my baby is sucking a lot for 30-45min from 2 days....im worried but i felt easy after reading ur thread...thanks all
    and i felt this is b'coz of less supply of milk.as reduced my diet and i also stopped using lactare tablets from 15 days....so im thinking of continuing lactare tablets back again 1 per day do u think its ok plz reply

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  9. shobanal

shobanal Junior IL'ite

mine is also the same problem. Buut my baby sucks her finger after feeding .and restless. she is going to be 3 months old from tomorrow. sometimes refuses to suck through my breast. what to do? pls guide me

10. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

Agree with Poonam about discovering tongue. My daughter had this phase of exploring her mouth. She still explores her teeth. If he's gaining weight well and producing enough wet diapers, seems active, don't worry and enjoy this time with him!