1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Should I Keep My Niece With Me

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Samyuktaa, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Samyuktaa

Samyuktaa New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,
    My Sister-in-law's daughter is staying with us searching for a job.She is behind me to get her ajob in my office(even data entry job is fine for her) , where my office is just behind my house.Even though she completed her B.E, she is not getting any job. If she gets this data entry job in my office , she will stay in my house only.
    Should I recommend her for this data entry job in my office?
    Will I loose my space with my family (husband & kids) if she stays with us ?
    please get me some suggestions .

2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Be honest with your spouse on this. It is important to have peace and sanity at home, after all we are working so hard at office and home to attain this.
    If hosting a guest for a long time will harm your sanity at home, it is not advisable to do that.
    Discuss with your H and find an alternate living set up for your niece. If possible a PG accommodation near your place. That's even better for a young girl to have her own space and sanity.
    But this needs to be communicated to your SIL's family through your H diplomatically. You may give him tips.

But helping a young graduate to secure a job is a great idea. If you can, help her

3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Do you want her staying with you?
    How long s she going to stay?
    How is your relations with in laws and sil?
    What is your husband's view on this?

KashmirFlower likes this.
  4. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

OP,

Motivate her to work hard and get a better job. Tell her, though data entry job is an ok one, she is capable of much better job being a BE student. And , also somewhere down the lane, her matrimonial alliance might get attached to the job she is working on and it will not reflect well. So, by denying her data entry job, u r indeed doing a favor in paving her career and life in a better way.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  5. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

It is one way good that she wants to work and not dependent by working even small one. While doing data entry job, She can still search, study, join a course based on her BE subjects and improve her chances of getting better job.
    Talk to her why she even want to work on small job, if she says she doesn't want to depend financially on brother and SIL, that is good. If she wants to earn and live separate in hostel or sharing with other ladies that is also good. Find out what she wants, and find out what your H thinking on this. If he wants her to not go to hostel? If she minds her own business and helps you in chores then you should be fine with her. As she is unmarried, time wise, she can easily work and do studies and prepare for job interviews.
    Just by sitting idle there is no guarantee that she gets a good job, unless she works really have a plan and knows how to approach to get the jobs. If possible in your city see if any career guidance is available.

6. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

There will be a degree of adjustment you adjustment will have to make when someone new moves in with you. All the same, it might not be too bad. It would be temporary and it could be enriching for your relationship if you are able to handle it right.

I hope the girl doesn't have a princess-complex and expect to be waited on hand and foot. She might need a bit of mentoring - you must give her chores. Explain to her how to wash her clothes in the washing machine; make her bed etc. And if you find something annoying, tell her directly but kindly - how you'd rather she put her stuff away and not leave it lying around. Start as you mean to carry on. And be patient.

As for a data entry job, isn't something better than nothing - would help keep her occupied while you are all away... plus encourage her to study further / apply for more appropriate jobs.

By the way, also take the time out for yourself - to go out alone with your friends / kids / spouse occasionally.

Vaikuntha and KashmirFlower like this.
  7. Samyuktaa

Samyuktaa New IL'ite

Thanks all for your valuable suggestions

8. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Op , I may suggest unconventional but I wud stay away from getting SIL's daughter a job where you work.It starts like this. Then if there is another opening in the company, it comes to you didn't refer her to that . Then comes investigative work of what happens here to be mentioned to SIL . Its all downhill from here.

Data entry job can be got anywhere. Why is she specifically targeting your company. How is your relation with in laws and SIL.There maybe an underlying reason here other than job. Good Luck.

KashmirFlower and yellowmango like this.
  9. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

No, not a good idea to get her the job in your company. You can help her get the same job in ANOTHER company, and sincerely refer her to your friends, colleagues.

Office behind the house, both of you working together in different levels, living together, commuting together - all unnecessary.

Rise and yellowmango like this.
  10. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

Yes, It most likely she will stay with you..even if her office would be an hour away, her mom i.e. SIL would make sure she stays in safe cozy mama's place. If it would be causing you trouble in your family space, it makes sense not to try for her in your office, you may ask her to use linkedin networking and your own friend circle in different city maybe nearby but something that manageable for you..I would not recommend this reason known to her or your DH..