Should Government Handout Money For Stupidity?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rakhii, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I hope the moral deadline has passed and I can safely ask you all here about something that has caused heated discussions with my husband. In reference to the recent events where the train (doing its usual speed limit) sped through dushera celebrations killing 60 people (appr). I read that government announced 500,000 per family as compensation.

Why does government do this? Apart from the usual tapping into the "voter bank" is there a reason why the government hands out compensation for people's stupidity? Its beyond me why people would even stand on the tracks!

Sunshine04 and Rihana like this.

2. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

It may be stupidity of people to stand on tracks but there is also governmental responsibility , why was the event granted permission so close to tracks , does the station master in the nearest station does not know an event is being held , where are the police who need to monitor the event , was the driver not able to see and apply brakes etc etc .... There are lot of questions to be answered and I think it is a money well spent rather than going into pockets of corrupt politicians or Thier cronies

3. Rakhii

I agree with everything you say @armummy . I just think that tax payers money could find a better place. Maybe hospital? maybe a school/ park etc?
    I agree its better than going into corrupt politicians but my main focus is not on corruption (unless we argue they go hand in hand).

4. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

They are paying out because of lapses from government with regards to their monitoring of event , they usually don't pay out if some one commits suicide ....

5. Rakhii

government is supposed to monitor this? I thought the event management team was responsible for this, including getting the permits. If anyone, I would think that company should pay, not the government.

6. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

7. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

The permits will be given by govt , they need to ensure the venue is appropriate . If permission was not sought, then the event should have been not allowed to continue , I am sure police / authorities would have known about the event. Police should have been deployed at such large gathering .... Questions about what driver could have done will be asked....
    So govt holds responsibility as much as organisers and people ...

8. Rakhii

I respectfully disagree. This event has been going on for 4 decades now. There is an 8 foot wall separating the tracks. People actually jumped over it to get a better view of the fireworks and the effigy burning. According to the event managers, the required permits were taken. From what I read, it appears like Mrs. Sidhu’s presence at the event brought more people than what the norm was. Usually estimate numbers are driven from numbers in the past. This time also, it was done the same way. But I think the gross underestimation of the numbers due to a famous person’s presence was the culprit. I don’t see a lapse from the government’s point of view. It reviewed the previous numbers and have permits.

Its really sad that we always find someone to blame. Here, if anyone other than the people on tracks were to be blamed, it would be the event organisers. If anyone must pay out of pocket, it’s the event managers. At the end of the day, who lost lives? Its our own people. Why? Because some of us don’t think twice to break the rules, jump the walls and expect someone else to make sure we are safe. I harsh lesson to learn.

Questions about the driver: Here is what I read about the trains. At 90 kmph the train was already doing under its full speed. The visibility distance is 100-200 meters for this train during night time. When the emergency break was applied, for this express, speed, load and the compartments its carrying, it needed 600 meters before it completely stops. A simple math shows that the train driver did not have enough time to come to a complete stop from the time he got the visual; meaning, he couldn’t have been able to avoid the tragedy. Clearly, people were trespassing where they were not supposed to. Technically, tracks are Railways private property. They can penalise people for standing there. Of course they don’t fearing the defamation but I hope you see my point.

This was a terrible tragedy that was waiting happen and I hope people and organisers everywhere learnt their lessons and we no longer lose lives.

BhumiBabe likes this.
  9. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Organisers will face consequences once the inquiry is over.

If it is going on for decades that means even more gross negligence from concerned departments like police and railways not to have taken precautionary measures .

When large scale crowds are gathered , it is essential to have proper monitoring . The railways could have slowed down the trains or have increased their man power to patrol the lines.

We can blame the stupidity of people but then the event should not have happened so close to danger area , prevention of which falls under govt.usually on dusserah events some or other personality comes to venue and police also would be present.it is nothing new .

The inquiry is underway ,,so organisers are not going to gomScott free but I won't obsolve blame from govt.

shravs3 likes this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Government failed in providing the required bandobust. The ex-gratia payment is fair enough.

Always like to use the bandobust word in a sentence. Now got reason to do so. : ) ex-gratia is also a word I only remember from Indian newspapers. When they were worth reading.

Amulet likes this.