1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Should Dils Keep Guilting Themselves Forever?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Naari, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Hello ILs,

I am back with a question that I keep mulling over every now and then & still haven't found an answer for.

I don't get along too well with in laws like some of you. From the beginning, fights and differences of opinion and mental unrest during short stays in India led me & in laws to distance ourselves from each other. It's been a decade of marriage with Dh and now we are at a stage where there is no ongoing harm from either side as I live in US and they live in India and I talk to them only on occasions, birthdays or if they are not well. When I say talk, it's restricted to hi, how are you and wishing /checking on them, but nicely/properly.

Now having said that, every now & then when I see some of my friends (DILs too), who get along well with their PILs, invite them over for visits at their home in US/anywhere, talk often to them, post happy pics on FB etc, I feel guilty as I feel like I could not establish a good relationship with my in laws. I also feel like Dh cannot be too close to them or invite them over and make them happy (I don't stop him, but Dh is sensible enough to not invite them over to put everyone in jeopardy!), because I am his wife and feel guilty even for that! Off late, I have not been enjoying my vacation trips anywhere because I feel like I haven't done my duty of having DILs over to US and made them happy.

So my question to all you DILs is:

1. What really are the obligations of a DIL to PILs where they don't get along, but she does not want to feel guilty?
    2. In such a case, where the 2 parties (DIL and PILs) are at a distance, no active harm is being done by either, should the DIL still guilt herself for being unable to improve / make the relationship better? What can be done?

Thank you ladies! This whole subject has always overwhelmed me & everytime I think I found an answer, my mind finds another angle to the whole issue and another question!!

2. Babyhope86

Babyhope86 Silver IL'ite

Dear @Naari

Plz take away the guilt from ur mind...
    Only if anyone tells u face-to-face that you have done wrong, it is a an event.

In your case, before any fight/verbal arguments you have distanced from ur in laws... and the most good part is u talk to them & enquire on their wellness... that's enough..

What is the point when other person is not feeling good for u, but u keep on doing good for them...

Everything should be 2-way .. give n take.. that's essence in any relationship..

If you feel something different, talk to ur hubby freely and get clarified whether he is getting hurt in being away from his parents. If they are ill and need ur both presence, definitely u will be right there to help them and do the needful//

So you are not doing anything wrong.

Be happy and be urself..
    Cheers!

Naari and Sandycandy like this.
  3. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

As a person of younger generation make sure you respect them for their age and do your DIL duties. Beyond this, you dont have to exert more efforts to improve the relationship. relationships have to be nurtured from both the sides. So let go of the guilt and try to behave with basic courtesy and respect. That itself is a good part from your side.

4. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

This only shows your good heart.
    Forget about them and live in peace

5. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Not getting along with in laws happens in a lot of homes.. you don't have to feel guilty of not doing more..

But, are they good parents to your hubby? If yes, can he consider bringing them for a visit, and take them around.. This may be a basic expectation for a lot of parents with kids staying abroad..

With time, In laws mellow down.. do you think yours are still the same as before?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  6. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

The OP is a puzzle.... about the DH, who is looking at his mother, his wife, and a bag of guilt.... and he has to cross a river in a boat. He could only take one of the three with him across, then come back to get the others. Taking the bag-of-guilt with him, would result in MIL-DIL fight on this river bank. Taking his mother with him would make his wife put the bag-of-guilt on her back and that would break her back. etc.. leaving the two incompatibles together on either river bank is not allowed.

The Original puzzle, and its history is here: Fox, goose and bag of beans puzzle - Wikipedia

BhumiBabe, Naari, yellowmango and 2 others like this.
  7. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

@Naari you know what I think about this :wink:
    @GoneGirl do they mellow down eventually ? There is hope in this world !

Archanaanchan and Naari like this.
  8. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

Hi @Naari . When we read threads where ILs are ready to attack DIls with a knife or DIl being miserable and unhappy , don't you think many of us who live abroad have the best of both worlds in terms of privacy,space and also being able to maintain a healthy relationship with them. I don't call or talk to my ILs much and never have I felt guilty about it because over the years I have realised that if things are working this way and everyone is courteous enough with each other , why go the extra mile and bring more stress ? Familiarity breeds contempt so I don't let them overstep into my life. I don't stop them from visiting us but I do make sure that they don't overstay :). I just bite the bullet for a few weeks or a month when they are here by keeping myself busy with work ,hobby or kids activities. I can choose to live in the past and ruin mine and my family's peace or live in the present and do what works for me ultimately and which is keeping a hi,hello, wishing on special occasions, having them over for a few weeks relationship or if they need help financially and by financially I mean if emergency like hospital or something major happen , we are always there for them and I don't question my DH. They are his parents and he should look after them just how I would for my parents if an emergency arise .

And if you thinking people who are inviting ILs here all the time and posing selfies and looking happy in FB pics , I bet they are all for pictures only . Just like everything else on FB but. I have yet to come across any MIl-DIl who share a perfect relationship so don't beat yourself about it .

One thing I do want to mention is there is no harm in inviting them over for a few weeks because your kid will also benefit a lot. If you are working and can go in silent mode for a few weeks , things can still work out amicably . It's not that hard trust me .

I also wonder why only women have this guilt feeling . Tell me how many of the men we know will go the extra mile for their ILs. They never have any guilt feeling if they don't call or wish their ILs. It's more of a societal conditioning that DIL should look after that their Mil so its high time we change this mindset.

Sandycandy and Naari like this.
  9. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Nonya, I love the analogy to the fox, goose, bag of beans puzzle except that if Dh took the mother with him, the bag of guilt would vanish, isn't it? :)

In my case, I feel that there is an overriding need for me to initiate this as Dh does not push me to work out things with his parents, which I am truly blessed for, but it also drives me crazy thinking, if anything has to be changed or if I have to get rid of the guilt, I will have to initiate the change or invite them, he won't! hence the dilemma & complexity

10. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Yes, I talked to DH about inviting PILs several times this year but he is convinced things won't work out and he is not willing to go through the headaches /heartaches of our fights and also have his parents go through the same. It is logical in a way because till now even during our limited stays in India, things have gotten out of hand within a couple of days & we are on 'no talking terms' within a few days. But I tell Dh that if they don't try to dictate what & how I shd be doing and not be mean/sarcastic to me, I am willing to do all the work & try my best to make it work.

In my head, I have already decided to invite them over, next year for 25days to a month, though I fear in my heart that if things don't work out, it would be like I axed my foot as I initiated it & Dh was never onboard..

Sandycandy likes this.