1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Short Story - Social Awareness - Texting and Driving

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rnair, Dec 11, 2012.

1. rnair

rnair Silver IL'ite

I still remember our high school days. That’s where I met Ethan. We never got to know each other well as we belonged to different social circles at school. But there was something about him which made him noticeable among the high schoolers. School life ended, life moved on and everyone dispersed in different ways.

It was a few years later, while I did my second job at the library that I came across Ethan again. We instantly bonded like we were lost friends from school. Life took a whole new turn. Studies didn’t look tougher, work wasn’t boring anymore, and life seemed to have a whole new meaning. There were smiles and tears, laughter and love. We were living like in a dream. Both of us worked really hard, maybe even two jobs and never really spent a lot of time together in the material sense. We talked over phone or texted each other like crazy.

The phone and texting was technology’s greatest invention, I always said.

We always updated each other on what we did whom we met, what we ate… days started with good morning beeps and ended with sweet night kisses. We fought on days that we didn’t text each other enough and made up again with another million texts.

Ethan always said how getting texts from me gave him an adrenaline rush. I loved it and kept it going. We teased each other on how we hugged to our phones and took care of it like a little child as with each passing day it was getting us closer and closer.

I still remember that stormy mid May Day when I got a call from the local hospital asking for the whereabouts of Ethan. He had met with an accident on the highway injuring 2 others and being badly wounded himself.

I rushed with all my will to see him bundled in between machines and doctors. Time froze and I don’t even remember breathing till I heard the nurse whisper It’s the spine, it may take a while but we have him.

I never woke up to good morning beeps anymore. The alarm woke up a tired me so I could be at the hospital by his side early in the morning. I never thought that a day would come, when the life I lived would one day just remain my priceless memories.

Days and nights were longer and tiring.

Every day I hug my phone and read through those beautiful messages of yesterdays praying , hoping that Ethan wasn’t texting me when he met with the accident. I may never know.

2. upasanavijay

upasanavijay New IL'ite

Nice!Simple and beautiful , love reading it!

3. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

That was a touching story RNair. And the mesaage was crisp. Thanks for sharing. -rgs

4. vidyamenon

vidyamenon New IL'ite

that was a nice neat stroy
    regards
    vidya