shopping in Sowcarpet

Discussion in 'Shopping & Restaurants' started by Traveller, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hello! I have heard there are very good wholesale shops selling marwari-type sarees, salwar materials in Sowcarpet. Though i have lived in Chennai from 89 never been to there. Anyone with experience buying in Sowcarpet or any tips for similar places in Chennai? Please share... Latha

1 person likes this.

2. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Hi,

I have purchased textiles from shops in Mint Street and Godown Street. Also artificial jewellery in Mint Street shops are good.

3. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Nivedi, I have no idea how big Mint Street is:hide: Is there any particular street I should go to? Because I remember in Paris corner each street sells particular products.. thanks! Latha

4. padmavathi m

padmavathi m Silver IL'ite

hi,

i buy sarees from KAMAL SAREES, GODOWN STREET, parrys he has good collection, and there is MANGHARAM'S , you get nice sarees even there, please try it there too

love
    padma

5. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

While Mint Street has an assortment of shops selling all kinds of things, you can go to Godown Street where almost every shop sells textiles.

6. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

I have also purchased materials from Godown street(close to NSK Bose road,not the other end) about 8 yrs back and you won't believe it,I am still using those dresses.They have not faded or torn till date even after me regularly wearing them to work for so many years.

1 person likes this.
  7. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Hai friends

I regularly used to go to SOWCARPET for my shopping...............as ima doing textiles business from my house.i used to get clothes and other items from there only.........OMG...i will go mad.when i enter that area...........

SOWCARPET - includes GODOWN STREE, AL MUDLAI STREET...etc.its a big area...even there eacch and every street will be selling diff articles ion wholesale..like godown street will bbe full of WHOLESALE CLOTH MERCAHTS.........both readymade and materials..........and naother street will be fullof IMITATION, GOLD AND SILVER JEWELERY ( ex.N.S.C.NOSE ROAD0 ......AND SOME nARAYAN MUDALI STREET WILL BE FULL OF SOME PLASTIC ITEMS.....ETC....... anther street full of electrical and electronic items.......etc etc........few shops with SPORTS ITEMS.few will be selling all kinds of GIFT ITMES...one street full oF stationary..........i willl go MAD........it will take one full day for u.........u cant come out unless u have control over u........

will get from PIN TO PISTOL there at wholesale rate......

And, T.MANGARAMS....really good shop..........they always sells at v genuine rates.......and u get varities there..........

u shld be v careful with them......u wont get in genuine wholesale rate...if u r new to the shop and if u get v few pieces...........they , sometimes cheat u........so be careful/..........

But almost all of them will sell in the same rates only............variety may differ.....

8. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Even am a regular there. I go often, to buy some materials for jewellery. Also for sareers, salwars. My mother knows every street, what it sells and all !!

9. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Dear latamurali

You should accompany me , the next time I come to chennai for shopping. Please do me this favourBow.

10. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Lata, looks like i can come to your home instead to buy dress materials and sarees;) ungalayum paartha mathiri irukkum:) why i suddenly remembered sowcarpet area for shopping was... i went into my pre-wedding days flashback. and got reminded of a good friend who got married a decade ago. they are mudaliars so they had to give so many number of sarees etc., and her mother got a load full from mint street... i so vividly remember those colours and textures. anyway i think my next trip to singara chennai will only be in 2009 but it's always worthwile to make a list whenever i think of some things. Latha