1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Shopping for a wet grinder - recommended websites?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by sowmyapbhat, Aug 3, 2010.

1. sowmyapbhat

sowmyapbhat Senior IL'ite

Hi All,

I'm looking to buy an Indian wet grinder in the US. I already have a mixer-grinder : Meenumix, bought online at Innoconcepts.com.

The same website has Ultra Pride 1.25L, available for $249.00

Now, I'm wondering if a capacity of 1.25L will be enough for making dosas/idlis once or twice a week, for a family of 2 (and occasional visitors?) Atleast, will it be more cost-effective to use the grinder than to use the mixie for the same purpose?

Secondly, if you have bought a grinder online, which website did you use? I'm looking for the best-price solution too, so any information would be useful.

P.S : I did look around a couple of older threads, but I couldn't identify the websites people used to buy their products. Apart from Innoconcepts.com, which I can vouch for as I have used it before, are there any reliable online retailers?

Thanks,

Sowmya

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010

2. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

Sowmya,

Few years ago, I bought Premier Wonder Grinder 1.25L capacity from Perfectpeninsula.com. It was the best decision ever made. It works wonders and also was perfect for our household consisting of me and my DH. :)

I have also bought a number of things from them over the years, a non-stick paniyaram pan, a mixie and all of the purchases have been so worth it.

Regarding the price, I think it is the same. You will find pretty much the same price. With respect to the capacity, I think for the two of us it has been perfect.

3. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

Another website I can recommend is hotdishes.com. It has lot of indian specific products to offer and my friend has used the website and has no complaints. :)

4. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Sowmya,You can try in Innoconcepts website.The 1.25 L is plenty for 2 people. You can make it atleast 2-3 times in one run of it.I have the same grinder and it works well for me and my husband.The Ultra is well worth it. It might be cheaper in Innoconcepts. Just check it out.Good Luck.

5. krithiks

krithiks New IL'ite

Sowmya
    I have an Ultra Pride (1.25L) and is just right for the two of us. You can check out hotdishes.com. I made 2 purchases - once with great service and another with a so-so experience . If you decide to buy from them, it is better you call and talk directly...they seem to be more responsive that way.

6. sowmyapbhat

Thanks Jaya,

I did check out PerfectPeninsula.com - they do have a good range of grinders, including a Premier Tilting model (2L) for $275.99.

I like the Premier tilting one for one main reason - it will occupy less space on my counter top! We live in an apartment, so space is a limiting factor.

Hotdishes.com actually has the cheapest one so far - a Premier tilting 1.5L for just $179.99.

Since you vouch for the website, I now have more options..Thanks again!

7. sowmyapbhat

Thanks Chocolate,

That's what I wondering, whether the 1.25L would be too small. Your experience reassures me that it is fine, and the Ultra brand seems to be worth the price..

Thanks a lot for your inputs..

8. anukv

anukv Bronze IL'ite

Hey did u buy already..? if not try the eastwestusastore.com
    i bought a new 1.5L one for only $100 in sale
    Good Luck

9. sowmyapbhat

Thanks krithiks,

You're right about Hotdishes.com - they offer the cheapest model I've seen so far (Premier 1.5L for $179.99). I guess I should check them out by calling them, as you said..

Thanks again for all your inputs. I can now make an informed choice, rather than a blind purchase!

10. sowmyapbhat

Thanks Anu,

That's a great looking website..they have a huge range, including Butterfly grinders..

I haven't bought one yet, am deciding which one to choose..but your inputs help me make a better decision!

Thanks again!