Shopping & Bargaining in Delhi or Jaipur: Experience?

Discussion in 'Shopping/Restaurants in Delhi' started by bearpal, Sep 9, 2009.

1. bearpal

bearpal Guest

Hi Friends,

I'm a south Indian travelling to Delhi to visit places and shop (know Hindi like a first standard student). Can you tell me your bargaining tips and what specifically to buy (have 2 small girl kids). What percentage do you usually ask for less when you bargain?

Looking for material for salwars, sarees and kids clothes with work, some small craft items for gifts, and Jaipur: Meenakari/Lak jewellery, sweaters, shoes . How can I know what is the range for the items there; any online examples please?
    Is there a place where we can order sweaters or how is Tibetian market?

Would be great if you can help prioritize the places to shop for me, meaning, if I can go to only few places, which of the following should I choose:
    Chandni Chowk, Connaught place, Janpath, Karol bagh, Hauz Khas village, INA Market, Sarojininagar market, Lajpat nagar

(Side topic: Still looking for medium budget hotels in Delhi, Agra, Jaipur: any best suggestions. If anyone has done this trip, if you can detail what you did, etc., would be thrilled to get this info. Looking at the online sites, but any info specially from a friend in IL would be reliable, isn't it :))

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2009

2. sweetgirl4flirt

sweetgirl4flirt New IL'ite

I think you already have a good idea about the markets in Delhi. If you take my advice, then go to Janpath for street shopping and Chandni Chowk for best bargains. INS market is also very good. Janpath is situated right in the middle of CP so you can also check out CP stores while you are there.

At street shops, always quote half of the price they ask. In stores, they don't bargain much but at least get 20 to 25% discount. But you will have to work hard for that. :)

3. bearpal

bearpal Guest

Thank you Sweetgirl4flirt! :thumbsup

Will follow your suggestions, will keep 1.5 days for Chandni Chowk and half a day in CP probably. The details I had noted above is from my research on the internet, I'm yet to travel north of India beyond Mumbai (no shopping yet beyond Bangalore). Have the itinerary ready, got to reserve the rooms and car for local travel. Few more months to go, will post the experience early next year :)