Shopping Baby Things Before Due Date

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by sandhyapratheep, Mar 15, 2015.

1. sandhyapratheep

sandhyapratheep New IL'ite

Hi All,

I'm new to IL and am due on May 8th. My question, is it okay to shop for baby before Due date, i stay in US and my mom is coming here next week, so i asked her to buy some summer dresses and other stuffs which are not available here.

2. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Of course it is OK and a good mom-to-be prepare in advance. At least the basic stuff like clothes (not too much as the baby will grow fast), crib and sheets etc, a stroller (or a sling if you plan to carry your baby). Diapers (small size, disposables and non-disposables depending on your preference), tiny nail scissors, baby wipes. Depending on the time of the year outside clothes like hats, gloves (the cute small one), overalls. Do not buy too much at this stage as a newborn does not need so much and you do not yet know your preferences.

Buy for your self sanitary pads (the biggest size you can get :p), bf bras, pads for the bra, some very comfy big size undies, nighties/tops that easy to unbutton for breastfeeding.

It will take a few days after you are back from the hospital before you are ready to hit the malls so get now in advance what the baby needs.

And of course the baby seat for the car.

3. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

In early days due to lack of good medical facilities they avoided shopping for baby stuff to avoid disappointment in case of tragedy.

we have much medical services now, it is ok to buy basic things which are needed .

but don't spend a fortune on baby things because babies outgrow stuff at an alarming speed.

4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I understand where you are coming from. In our indian culture, even today they say dont buy anything before the baby arrives. But if you are not too particular, you can buy quite literally everything before the baby is here. Here is the list i made when I was expecting my first one. See the word document below.

View attachment To buy.doc

1 person likes this.
  5. Sivasakthigopi

Sivasakthigopi Gold IL'ite

Hi @sandhyapratheep,

In India it is followed by as a Myth since old days. But when i am at 9th month i buy all things for my son before his born. But i dont know his gender. So i bought dresses mixed with boys and girls. And Nappies and clothings. And MIL against me in this. She asked me to dip all in water and dry. So i soak all dresses in plain water and detoil water and keeps dry inside home (Away from sunlight)

And fold them and packed.

I bough Including Baby Powder, Baby soap, Baby shampoo, baby oil, mat, net, mosquito net, umbrella, cradle cloth, cradle spring, cradle trunk, etc.,

So there is nothing to worry. You buy whatever you want for your lil one. If you dont know gender try to buy common clothing for baby. All the best.