Shopping advise needed

Discussion in 'Shopping & Restaurants' started by Rakhii, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear ladies, my daughter will be 11 months old in November and we have planned her tonsure and ear piercing ceremony for her in Chennai (well, in Palani but shopping will be in chennai).

Now, I need to buy at least 30 pattu sarees and 30 veti/thundu's to give to all close relatives and friends for the occasion. My budget is a max of 2500 per saree and maybe 1000 (less would be preferable but I have no idea how much a veti/thundu would cost).

Will I get any decent Pattu saree with a small border or I have to settle down for a fancy saree for that budget? I do understand that it's my DD's first main function and I want to do all the "maryada" to people who come to visit her. The only thing is that cloths expenditure itself is coming to about 1 lack. On top of it all the other expense (transportation for every one to Palani, food, accommodation etc for 2 days) will be on us. This is excluding the ticket price to travel to India for 2 people...

I also need at least 8-10 small silver gifts, like small velakku or small glass etc for my immediate family (parents and inlaws).

Now, my MIL is saying that we will ask some guy to bring sarees from his shop. I have no idea who this guy is but he is a no biggie. Is it advisable to buy sarees like that at all? If no, where is the best place I can shop around for sarees for a reasonable price? Any suggestion?

Also what silver gift can I find for about 2500 per piece?

Please help me ladies. Though I am a tamilian, I was brought up in andhra and I have no idea about chennai (inlaws place).

Any advise regarding this would be greatly appreciated. I am getting a nervous break down thinking about this!!

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Rakhii, relax..there is lot of time dear. it is all about planning..

regarding getting somebody home..it sure worked for me. recently dh's two old aunts visited us, and we wanted them to select some sarees for them and their daughters and some other relatives..we called up somebody who was recommended to us, he asked for what we wanted to see, and he bought it a lot of wonderful stuff...and infact we picked around 20 sarees varying from silk cotton traditional to the latest designer cotton saree for the youngsters adn all of them were really happy with the selection..so maybe you should give it a try and believe me it works out cheaper too..

Regarding silver, if your mil knows some jeweller locally, you can go with her and check out patterns/ and designs, and get it done..if you a patron of the shop, you can get it within 3/4 days..you can infact decide your choices by going through sukra or some of the silver articles on google. you can get a decent kunkuma chimzh for 1700.. or a small jothi for 2500. i picked up these 2 months back..you have a lot of options even in silver..

otherwise, chennai silks, rmkv, pothys..all these will be having sales around october end/november being navarathri and diwali time.

3. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Hi Rakhii

Congrats..... Do you really think that for the kid's first grand occasion, you have to give away 1 lac worth of gifts to relatives?????? first of all I am surprised. Its fine if its a wedding.

But if you wish to go ahead, you may prepare a tire list of relatives as per the level on the immediate / extended family members. Parents and Parents Inlaw, then blood relatives like sister / brother from both sides, then comes aunt, athai etc.. then others. Now you may categorise sarees cost-wise as per 3tierd list. Similarly for men, Ramaraj has variety of dhoties from Rs.250 onwards depends on the fabric and length like double / single/ zari/silk etc. For extended family members give only normal polyester /silk cotton type sarees, and men with a shirt only.

After the purchase, pack them neatly and name them also, so that no confusion comes on the day of function. Never also show them before to make a selection, as it will end up in unnecessary likes and dislikes / chaos.

If the silver articles are give aways, as Shanvy suggested Sukra has good collection, else go to GRTin Usman Road who has a comprehensive collection.

For sarees, go to Kumaran 100 again in Usman Road, T Nagar, who has better priced sarees than Pothys, RMKV, chennai or Nalli.

Good Luck to you.
    Shanti

4. lgirish

lgirish Platinum IL'ite

I bought silk sarees from Kumaran(old one) near Prince Jewellers last year for a function. You get other varieties according to your budget there.As I was sure of the range and number it didn`t take much time. I was very satisfied with their stuff.

5. Rakhii

Shanvy, Thanks a lot for the suggestions. You are right, planning is the key. That's why I started early. First I want to finish big arrangements and get that out of the way... Like deciding the guest list, setting a budget, arrange for transportation, accommodation, food etc. then I want to personalize this occassion with my own little touches (I will open another thread for it in DYI). Basic things everyone will do na Shanvy, it's the little touches and the little thoughts are what make the ocassion stand out. Also, since I live in Canada, it's so difficult to put together a party in Chennai; with me staying far and planning the party else where.

Ok! Now I decide that I will ask MIL to ask that guy to bring sarees to home itself. With an infant on hand, I guess it's a better option rather than go to malls in downtown chennai.
    When you bought those 20 sarees, may I cost if you don't mind? I am just asking so that I can know if I can find a decent pattu saree with small border for under 2500.

Also Shanvy, I need to give silver gifts to ladies and 3 of them are older widows. Can I give kumkum bowl to them? I just don't want to offend them. Maybe a vellaku is a better option?

6. Rakhii

Duplicate post

7. Rakhii

Shanti, thanks a lot for the sugesstions. Well, I dont have to make it this big, but I want to. Thing is, this is her first big function and I dont think we will get a chnace to celebrate any more of her functions in India or even here for that matter. Thats why I am jumping at this. who knows, if she decides to get married in Canada itself, we have to comply na.

I will check out the designs in sukra online. Thanks for that. Yes, I have narrowed dow the tiers. Some of them i can come down to 1000 or 1500 but some of them i have to spend more (like saree to mom, inlaws, SIL etc). So, on average, I think it will turn out to be 2500.

thanks igirish for the suggestion!!

Ladies, if you have more suggestions, I welcome them.

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

rakhii,

it cost me around 30k. and i noticed the difference because earlier i picked a same range silk cotton in a very reputed showroom for 3200 and i got it from that person for 2500..it was staggering to see a difference of 700. some of the cottons were gadhwal, jaipur and some new range cottons..the options are lots and you can sit in your home, and ask him to come with sarees for elders on one day, and for youngsters on another day too. that way you can relax and choose. and if it does not work out you can always hit the stores..no harm in checking out.

regarding silver, you get some nice silver nut trays in maple leaf style and all..maybe you should keep your options opened...
    manufacturers and exporters of silver plates, bowls, Trays, Idols, candle stands, pooja articles, boxes, drink ware, dinning ware, temple items, utilities, photo frames.
    Sukra Jewellery

http://silvermine.in/products.html
    relax and plan and you can make it a great success..

9. Rakhii

Thanks a lot Shanvy!! Really appreciate your help.