1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Shopping Abroad for India

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Ami, Jun 27, 2006.

1. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

Thank you Anjana

Dear Anjana,

Thank you so much for your valuable suggestions. Really i think spill proof cup and swimsuits are great ideas as the ones we get here are of great designs and fit. I have added those to my shopping list already! :)

Thank you so much , i really appreciate your contributions.

Purnima

2. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

HI Kamla!

Dear Kamla,

I think this is the first time i am interacting with you in this forum. To be frank,this is the first time i am opening "Ideal Home " forum, only today i notied so many useful contributions are made by so many ILites COngrats Kamla , for starting this forum, it certainly rocks :)

Talioring accesories seem like a good idea(though i have not checked out the items here).Though i am not into tailoring, i am sure it will be like u said very useful in future. Thanks so much for these ideas.

Also one more thing -- Vandana mentioned Corelle diningware, Anjana mentioned something about Corningware and now, you have mentioned something about Flatware. Pardon my ignorance, but what is the diff bet these? and which is the better one?I am seriosly thinking of buying them.

Also one of my friends mentioned about Fibre sheets to be laid on shelves etc, but i heard that in India these items accumulate lot of dust and so are of no use. What do you feel about that?

Thanks in advance,
    Purnima

3. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Digital Cameras

Hi Purnima,

What camera to buy? I think Sony and Canon are two really good brands. The latest in Digital is Digital SLR, it is a little more expensive than the regular ones, but the pictures are awesome.( My hubbys latest toy). We got the Sony digital SLR, It is 10 megapixels i think. Of course it all depends on Budget. But Sony usually supports universal voltage. So i would buy that. I never had any problems with charging our sony cameras in India. Same goes for Video camera too. SOny is good.

About knives, yes it is true that you don't need to sharpen them. I have Farberware knife set that i have been using for the past 6 years and have not sharpened it yet. I know farberware is a good brand and reasonable. If anyone else has any other brands names to suggest ,please do look into it.

I think things like Whole milk powder etc you can skip. I think Indian dairy products are excellent, so don't take anything from here. You can take some dryfruits like badam etc.. But you will have to carry them with you, not by shipwith your other household items.

As for other kid friendly food, my policy is never to take anything from here. So i would not be able to give you tips on that. Hope some one else can help you with this.
    And yes if you are going to Bangalore, like Anjana said, shop for some nice Jackets, thermals for your daughter.

Will think of more and get back to you.

Vandhana

4. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Back again!

If I may jump in for Kamala,

Flat ware is a set of spoons, forks, and knives, soemtimes, the set is also sold with a Hostess set which is basically a few serving spoons. It is a nice idea to get one. I think if you get a Flatware set for about 12( 12 spoons, 12 forks, 12 knives) , that should be plenty for you.

Correlle and Corning ware are the same. Corning is the company that makes the dinnerware and serve ware. Corelle is the brand name for their dinner ware collections.

I thnk your friend is talking about shelf liners. These come in many designs and is self sticking. It is a good idea to get this too. Think about it. dust will gather even without the liners. Usually in India we will line the shelves with news papers, instead u can use this.

Vandhana

sindmani likes this.
  5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

My turn!

Dear Purnima,

Thanks for the compliments about Ideal Home. They should actually go to the Induslady Team, I am only moderating it. Besides, its success belongs to all of us IL'ites:)
    Vandhana has once again given you the answers to your queries, me being late.. I personally would take some serving spoons and cutlery from here as the designs, finishing and quality of flatware are very good here.
    I am not very convinced about the shelf liners. With time, they get soiled and you will have to replace them. I use them only for my spice shelves and oil etc. Otherwise, I prefer to leave them as such as it is easier to clean the shelves with a moist cloth and dry it off.
    My sister also likes small gardening tools from here, I forgot to mention earlier. So a good browsing through your Home Depot or Leows is recommended!
    Vandhana's recommendation for cameras is worth considering. You get far better choice and price here.
    Shall add to it if I can think of anything more.

L, Kamla

6. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

Thank you Vandana!

You have been really contributing a lot of ideas and are of GREAT help! I have heard of SLR it has great quality, print etc. I will certainly look into it.

Also Vandana , i noticed that the non stick pans are of much better quality than the ones in India. For eg, when i make dosas in India, invariably the first dosa will be sticky and break off .Also after that cleaning the pans(nonstick too) was a pain. Here i noticed that the pans are superb and not even once did i face that problem. I thought i will go to walmart and buy a set of pans, as we get good deals there But before that i would like to confirm if that was the best option(i would not want to trade on for anything for the quality of the product!!!). If u have ne brand in mind pls let me know!

Vandana(and all others you are helping me out in this), i want to know if it is worth taking nonstick bakewares from here. I saw in a farberware outlet a bakery set consisting of -- nonstick baking sheets, baking pans(with nonstick coating), rolling pin etc.Seemed like a big package. Wondering if it would be worth the investment.

Thank you Vandana, you are very very helpful! :)

Purnima

7. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

U are fast Kamla!

How can i ever thank allof you. Allof you are giving me superb ideas. Kamla, we are moving into an apratment, of course we are planning to have a small garden @ our terrace(yes! we are going to have 3 balconies and 2 terraces in our apt), so keeping that in mind, could you specify the tools which maybe required? for instance, i maynot have a lawn, but a few indoor plants, maybe even creepers.

Thank you once again!

Purni

8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Purnima..

I agree with you, Vandhana has great suggestions for you and valuable ones too.
    Let me add my two cents.
    The non-stick pans are good. But apart from stir fry and fryingpans, I would not use non-stick for regular cooking. Having said that, America has a huge selection of pans of every type. Walmart maybe a good place to look for them, but as you mention quality, I would also look for them at Macy's etc. I am not so sure about Walmart, but Macy's carry some high end makes too. Calphalon being one of them. There are many more and the deciding factor being the budget. Look for them at Target too. There are also speciality kitchen shops like Kitchen Kapers (NJ) etc, it is worth checking them out. You should defenitely take some good bakeware and I do remember seeing good quality and reasonably priced ones at Walmart.

L, Kamla

9. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Non stick pans

Dear Purnima,

I second Kamla about non stick cookware. On my last trip to India, I bought the Prestige Omega series dosa tava and kadai( it cost me about 1600 bucks for both together). To date they have been really great. The dosais come out really nice crisp and golden brown. Cleaning is a real cinch. This type you will find here as the "Calphalon" or Analon brand. Which are usuallly quite expensive. So please think twice before buying.

I would definitely take the non stick bake ware. Though walmart is cheap, Their nonstick qualities are not that good. please go to some outlet mall where the comapanys have factory stores or look around for sales in Macys, or Sears, JC penny before buying the non stick.

Vandhana

10. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

Dear Vandana and Kamla!

Both your suggestions are invaluable.I have added bakeware already to my shopping list :). Also nonstick, the prestige Omea is a real temptation , if its available in India, why should i take it all the way? Will research more on that and get back to you Vandana!

Thank you guys, pls dont hesitate to keepposting, this weekend i am going to do my final shopping. So plss keep ur thoughts pouring! :)

Purni