1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Shiva shakthi

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SeethaHari, Mar 12, 2009.

1. SeethaHari

SeethaHari New IL'ite

I was having a engrossed discussion with my friend about the aspect of values of life. We started an NGO two years in memory of our dear friend who met with an accident. She was called as " Oracle guru" in her office. Very unfortunate to not have her by our side. But we wanted her love of books, knowledge acquisition , her value systems to percolate and brighten the lives of less privileged kids.
    So we named our NGO " Lasting Values Foundation".
    Our prime objective was education. We were helping the kids in government schools with tuitions and giving them study material, dresses and engaged teachers to teach them english, mathematics and moral sciences.

We established 3 centres, 2 at Hyderabad and 1 at Nalgonda.
    At one of the Hyderabad centre, we met with a boy named Shiva. The area is a slum and many of these kids parents were vegetable vendors or daily labourers. So the slum is no different and had its share of woes to list.
    We motivated the parents first with the help of the School principal and teachers. The tuition is after school hours from 4 to 6 PM and so we had to provide the kids with some snacks daily as they only have food in the afternoon in the midday meal scheme. As parents go to work early in the morning to pick the fresh leafy vegetables, morning tiffins is ruled out for them.We asked some philantropist businessmen to sponsor for the expenditure of snacks as it was not planned in our budget previously.

So we started these classes called " Gnanaprabodha"and everyweek we made a visit to see classes are well taught and kids are motivated to come to tuitions.
    But I obseved a unique pattern with this boy Shiva.
    He wanted to leave the tuition by 5.00pm amd everyday his father was standing outside the class at the same time. Initially I thought it was very good to see a father monitor his son's progress. Shiva was in 5th class and very brilliant in studies. With proper guidance he will definitely achieve something big. That was my gut feeling.
    Than the teachers told me about his father. He work on daily wages. Shiva is the eldest son. He has a sister and brother back home. His mother goes to vegetable vending and comes back late evening. So Shive cleans the home, dresses his siblings and goes to school. In the evening he checks on his sister, brother and it is the turn of the insensitive father to take him to a near by bakery to work in the evening. Everyday he gets a share of money the bakery owner gives and directly goes to the toddy shop. So that's the reason he does not want his son to go to tuition.
    Than we decided to talk to the bakery owner and book a case on him for child labour.
    But we were dumbfolded when I heard the condition that Shiva imposed on his father. "If he is allowed to attend tuition , he will work in the bakery. "
    Shiva was assertive and did not agree with his father's proposal to drop studies.
    As is said
    "You dont have to agree with somebody to respect them."

So his father unwillingly allowed his son to attend the tuition. To the happiness of everyone he stood first in the class and want to become a police officer.:thumbsup

On our side ,
    -should we feel happy that the boy the carving his own future with grit
    or
    -feel sad about his family back home
    or
    -feel guilty of not restricting him from working
    or
    -thank his father who is irresponsible, to atleast to allow his son to go to school"

With all these in mind, we called for the bakeryowner and asked what work he was entrusting to the boy?
    He replied ,it was just serving the customers and cleaning the tables which is not hazardous".If we stop him from working his family cannot sustain as his mother's income is not sufficient to run the one room home".
    So we asked the bakery owner to reduce the hours of work and allow him to study which he was accepted our request.
    We too had certain limitations on their family , so we could only ensure Shiva is back to study regularly, he supports his family as we could not convince his illiterate parents to be more responsible who have no regard for books .
    bonk
    The tragedy is we cannot help everyone which is beyond our means.
    So it was somewhat a critical balance.

But we admired Shiva for his mature behaviour and independent thinking and even in such not so encouraging conditions , he was determined to complete homework, workhard. We felt he is the real embodiment of of our Lasting Values Foundation and an inspiration to many kids.

Than my mind just reeled to our own kids, who with all facilities and sleep cozly, come to us with complaints and lot of demands. We as parents talk, think and push our kids so hard to do things and so concerned about them and in the end some of our own kids fly by us (FLY USA) and leave us at the altars of oldage homes.

I ask all my friends to come with there kids to this tuition point on their birthdays atleast, so that they know how hard it is to study with minimal resources and with no mentors at home. This way it is a WIN-WIN situation to both kids.:cheers
    One is our kids become more humane and respond to the problems of society with a broad vision and become good leaders and on the other side kids like Shiva will know their is a bigger brighter world and it is possible to achieve. Our kids can tell these less fortunate kids about computer fundamentals , show them cartoons games, videogames and nintendo's.

Above all I wish every kid should become responsible citizens and great people and KUDOS TO SHIVA for his perseverence and inspiring us.

2. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Seetha,

First accept my standing ovation for the noble work you have been doing.

You made me choke dear. Reading about Shiva and the parallel drawn between our kids made me too emotional. I really appreciate Shiva for the grit and determination he has..

An eyeopener blog...kudos dear.

3. SeethaHari

SeethaHari New IL'ite

Dear Lalitha Shivguru,

Thanks again . I feel even if one kid gets motivated by Shiva's story our job is accomplished. Just trying to lessen the gap between the have's and have not's unlike our politicians who are widening the gap and minting money in the name of welfare.
    Today our kids are very mature and understand the realities very fast and I hope in this way our kids willingly develop the habit of sharing , helping and altruistic values.

I am humbled by your comments.
    Thankyou and Regards,
    SeethaHari

4. dream.girl

dream.girl Silver IL'ite

Dear Sita,

Kudos to you for running a foundation on your friends name...I am really inspired by your blog writing and also by shiva..
    I too had a dream to do some social help in my future..I hope the things will fall in order..

Hugs,
    dg..

5. SeethaHari

SeethaHari New IL'ite

Dear Dreamgirl,

I feel you will definitely realise your dream. Yes, having a thought is half way through. Only you need to put everything on paper, assess you resources, target beneficiaries and get going.
    My experience is we need to plan before we step in.

It is not me alone. Withour friends at USA and India we could never make it work. It is the unconditional support from all quarters which is the formula for success.

All this credit goes to friends and family's support .

I will definitely inform about all your wishes to Shiva.

If interested you can see our website,
    www.lvfoundation.org.

We need to update this years projects.

Thankyou again
    SeethaHari

6. dream.girl

dream.girl Silver IL'ite

Hi Seetha,

Looked at your foundation..thanks..Happy to read you are helping many poor children for education...

Hugs,
    dg..

7. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear Sita

Kudos to you for engaging in a noble endeavor. I looked at the website. Glad to know you are making a big difference in the lives of these children.

8. SeethaHari

SeethaHari New IL'ite

Hello Dream Girl,

Thankyou . It is all collective effort of friends. Even if my writings help one kid I feel fortunate .

Love,
    Seethahari

9. SeethaHari

SeethaHari New IL'ite

Dear SundarUsha,

Thankyou . I have a feeling that everyperson has more strength than they think they have.
    Ideas make the world and if we look back we need to see what is our accomplishment in life- not in terms of money, power, fame but
    By how many friends we have got in this journey and were we able to be of some help to the needy.
    We work we do may be a speck in the vast sands, but as Gandhiji said, " Whenever your self is in doubt, look at the face of the poorest and think what you have done to bring a smile on their face"

Trying to follow the great ones.

Regards
    SeethaHari

10. manchitra

manchitra Senior IL'ite

Great work Seetha ,doing so much for the children I am sure with your support Siva will achieve greater heights like the vegetable vendors son who became soft ware engineer, he was my student but he had supportive parents and also hope many Sivas will get help from your orgaanisation.