Shirdi Sai Baba Divya Puja

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by PurpleRoses, Sep 2, 2019.

1. PurpleRoses

PurpleRoses Finest Post Winner

Hi all,
    I recently started sai divya puja after hearing a lot about the puja.
    I usually used to do 9 thursdays sai baba vratam.
    This time I wanted to do this Sai divya puja since something I had prayed to Saibaba and wish to seek His blessings.

Just giving the detailed procedure here.

It can be done by anyone -child/adult/male/female/any age anyone.

Has to be done only on thursdays.

1st thursday you have to do sankalpam. For this on wednesday, soak a white handkerchief in turmeric water and wash and dry.

On 1st Thursday, you have to take aasanam/small stool/chowki. Clean the puja room.

Clean the chowki/stool/aasanam and place it in puja room. Put new blouse cloth or any new unused cloth on it.

Place sai baba photo/ idol on it.

Put chandanam and kumkum bottu for sai baba.
    Decorate with flowers and mala.

Place ganesha photo or idol or any God's idol next to sai baba on the same chowki/aasanam.
    (This is important as we are not supposed to place only saibaba. We have to keep one more God next to sai baba).

Keep ready - deepam with wicks (ghee preferred but can use oil too), light the deepam. Light agarbattis.
    Now take the turmeric colored white cloth that you made ready on wednesday.
    Put one rupee or two rupee coin in it and do sankalpam to Saibaba that you wish to do this puja to seek His blessings for 5/7/11/21 thursdays. Say your wish and ask baba to fulfil your wish and tie the coin with the handkerchief.

This tied cloth with coin is made only on 1st thursday when you do sankalpam and it should be kept at Baba's feet. No need to remove it.

After sankalpam, read saibaba 108 ashtotaram satanamavalli.
    It is important that you offer 1 flower with every name you read for ashtotaram.
    If you have less flowers, you can use petals too. But important to use petals/flower for every name you read.
    There is a book for sai divya puja. Please follow it.
    There are 6 stories which are to be read compulsorily. Yes, you have to read all 6 stories every single time you do this puja on every Thursday.

Naivedhyam - only khichdi is to be offered to saibaba for this puja as naivedyam. You can even make rava kesari or payasam or anything else too but you should 1st offer khichdi. It is must.

No need to fast for this puja. Saibaba doesn't like his devotees to fast and do puja.

Thats all about the puja. It's very simple friends.

Hope this helps to all those who wish to do this puja.

Udhyapana-

After finishing all thursdays as you did sankalpam for (e.g. if you said 5weeks).

So on 5th thursday, you have to do same puja and make khichdi as naivedhyam.
    You have to distribute 5 sai divya puja books and khichdi prasadam to 5 people atleast.

About the coin tied in cloth- ideally you are supposed to put it in hundi of shirdi.

Incase you are not able to go to shirdi, visit any nearby saibaba temple and put it in hundi.

You should never open the knot. You have to put the coin tied with cloth as it is in the hundi and pray to saibaba.

Even if what you wished for didn't fulfil, you have to put the coin tied cloth (mudippu) in hundi in saibaba temple or Shirdi after you are done with the said number of weeks.

Few doubts I will clarify-
    1. If any thursday you miss due to periods or anything, skip it and continue from next Thursday.

2. You can do it any number of weeks starting from 5 or 7 or 11 or 21 weeks. But you have to complete the number of weeks as you said to do on 1st thursday.

3. Coin tied cloth(mudippu) once kept on 1st thursday should not be removed till all weeks of puja is over.

4. Khichdi is must for prasadam every thursday .

5. All 6 stories have to be read every time you do puja every thursday.

Hope this info was useful.
    May saibaba bless us all.

VinuthaS, Thyagarajan and Anusha2917 like this.

2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for laying out the plan and “how to” of performing this Sai Pooja and what to be observed. Done in Faith would reap benefits and favours stand granted.
    But I wish some devotee to write about significance of observing & performing pooja why only on Thursdays.
    Regards.

Anusha2917 and PurpleRoses like this.
  3. PurpleRoses

PurpleRoses Finest Post Winner

Thank you for liking it sir. Thursday is dedicated to brahaspati (also called planet guru). Since saibaba is known to be a form of dattatreya and also thursdays are called "guruvaaram" telugu or "guruvaar" in hindi so it is dedicated to saibaba.

Coming to significance of this puja,

It is believed that when done with faith and devotion and patience (as called shradda and saburi by saibaba) , our wishes will be fulfilled.

This is purely based on the trust for saibaba that the person performing the puja has . Just like we pray on ganesh chaturti to remove all obstacles or on varalakshmi vratam to wish for wealth, health and prosperity.

Thyagarajan and Anusha2917 like this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:A perfect prompt reply in full and thanks for it.
    2. I agree with your statement that with full faith and dedication Pooja to be performed and observed to attain the goal.
    3. Daththathreya and Brihaspati in your answer reminds me of the link
    Chastity Versus Milk & Babies.
    Which Deals with mythological origin of Lord Daththathreya.
    Regards.
    God bless us all 24 x 7.

5. Shakthi7

Shakthi7 Gold IL'ite

SaiRam Ladies,
    I completed 5 weeks Divya Pooja as per procedure and my wish was fulfilled. Please see attachment for anyone that needs the Sai Divya Pooja Vidhi - I though of posting it instead of getting print outs.
    May Baba Bless you all and fulfil your wishes. I have done this Pooja Many Many times and Baba has always fulfilledmy wishes and given me what is good for me.
    SaiRam
    Shakthi

Attached Files: