1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping cross country

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by neets, Jan 20, 2010.

1. neets

neets Silver IL'ite

Hi All,
    we are moving to Florida in a week and after weighing our options decided to ship household stuffs through Fedex.We are selling off the heavy weight stuff and the remaining ones are our clothes and kitchen items,including small electrics.i would like to know if anyone have shipped the suitcases or luggages through any carriers?? which is the least expensive ones ?

2. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    If you are sending the car you can load in the trunk (not the valuables)
    Talk to your carrier.

3. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

years ago I shipped across country from north carolina to california, about 40 boxes measuring 30*30*30. at that time ups was the cheapest, about $25 per box. added advantage was that they would come home and pick up the boxes.

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Neets:
    Check out sending your stuff by a freight service...it is cheaper than UPS or Fedex but takes a little longer. They can crate a pallet of stuff and truck it. You can call them:

YRC - Shipping, International Shipping, Freight, LTL Carrier

You will probably not be interested but mentioning anyway:

Amtrak has the autotrain to Florida from Virginia. They load your car on the train and then the passengers sit in regular car and relax for the trip down. This train has been going for decades I think instituted for older folks who wintered in Florida and didn't want to drive the whole way. You could cut some of your driving this way. Only mentioning.

Amtrak - Reservations - Auto Train

5. neets

neets Silver IL'ite

thanks vidya ,pmahensa and tina for the suggestions.i think roadway is more cheaper(yrc),i know i sound stupid,but still,wont they be taking up our suitcases also?? not just the boxes..?suitcases, the ones from india in which we stuff clothes..??:hide:

6. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Talk to them on the phone. They ship afaik like you would ship a load to India via sea...it is crated or bundled in some manner. Also check with them on the pickup location as it may be a local drop point. Let us know how it works out.