1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Shifting to USA Right or Wrong

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Anithapraveen, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Anithapraveen

Anithapraveen New IL'ite

Hi all,

My husband moved to USA last month and he wants me,DD and DS to join him next year.My DS is in 5th grade now and next year he will be 6th grade..how is the admission procedure in US do they give admission for 6th grade.. I am very much worried about his education.. And also my husband is not sure how long we will be in US and what will happen when we come back to India. Since DD is 4 yrs i think she has to go to elementary school.. So much confused whether to go to US or not..

Please share your views..

Thanks in Advance

Anitha

2. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Getting admission in schools in US is pretty straightforward. The kids go to the neighbourhood school, that is the school to which your home is assigned to by the school district. When selecting an apartment/home, do select a good school district. You can find school ratings on greatschools.com website.

Your son will be in middle school (could vary in some school districts. Based on his aptitude and the school district, you might want to check magnet programs or gifted programs, if applicable.

Your daughter has to turn 5 before the start of the school year (that is September 2016) to be able to go to Kindergarten, else she will have to go preschool. More on this , if you need the information.

All this is applicable public schooling only.

Which state/school district will be you be relocating to? Might be able to help with more concrete answers if the school district is familiar.

Do use this opportunity to expose your kids to a different schooling culture. Regardless of how long you stay in US, its pretty valuable. When you go back to India, you could consider re-enrolling kids in the same school that they go to at present.

3. Anithapraveen

Anithapraveen New IL'ite

Thank you so much..
    We will be going to virginia.. What is magnet programs and gifted programs..

Thanks
    Anitha