Shifting to Shanghai...Need to know about China..

Discussion in 'Indians in China' started by shanti2011, Jul 30, 2011.

1. shanti2011

shanti2011 New IL'ite

Hi,
    I am Shanti. We are from pune, Maharashtra. We are getting some opportunity to shift to Shanghai, China. Can some one help me to under stand more about shanghai city...for a south Indian family to settle over there for few years.. Our daughter studying in 4th std. How easy to get the admission in a Good International Board school..
    Please help me ..

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

3. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi Shanti,

There is definitely some problem in china, health and eduction are difficult for non chinese people. Since you are shifting to Shanghai, you may face less problem than others who live in small cities like me. There are few good intl shools in Shanghai. I was in Shanghai for 10days i met on goan couple. They live in pudong and they have a son in4th or 5std in some british school. Health issues u wont face in Shanghai as there is very good internatinal hospital but very expensive United family hospial, i trust this hospital, have experienced twice. Schooling you please go through the websites and contact them or tell me which place you are going to put up, i will contact the school and let you know the procedure. While coming please dont forget to bring basic medicines with you and ointments. Medicines for fever, cold n cough, ointment for colds and headache and pain and first aid thing. Next time i will mail u Bhoomi stores address from where u can get all groceries. But bring you goda masala and garam masala and whatever you feel for first few days. Here you will not get dal in chinese shops only whole moong.
    Welcome to china :)
    take care,
    Padma

4. shanti2011

shanti2011 New IL'ite

Hi Padma,
    Thanx very much for the information. Still dont know the place only that we will be in Shanghai mostly will shift after the academic session gets over here. when does the academic session start there. I was reading all the threads in this link is it very difficult to stay there since we dont know the language. What r the health problems u r talking about. From how long are u staying there r u facing many problems due to language. Can the children cope in the environment. I have lots more to ask let me keep it for the next time. will be very grateful for ur reply
    thankx
    shanti

5. shanti2011

shanti2011 New IL'ite

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply i will surely visit the site.

6. nsandvik

nsandvik New IL'ite

hi Shanti,
    Health problems... main thing to consider. Don't get scared for anything. You are going to liv e in Shanghai so, i guess u won't face many problems. Language is always a big barrier in China. Just i am advising you to bring the basic medicines for yourself and your daughter because here you won't get those medicines which we get in our country like crocin dispirin combiflam, all these and many more basic medicines which we use without prescription. Doctors don't speak english, you are really lucky if u get eng speaking docotr. Luckily last year i got an eng speaking gynaec and she helped me a lot but now i am living in small city near port. For me its difficult to manage in hospital if i dont have chinese colleagues to translate. Last month my son suffered from sore throat which became tonsilitis and doctor gave him medicine through intravenous for ten days. It was trouble for me and my son. So bring basic medicines for cold cough fever stomach pain headache ointments whatever you like. Climate is polluted. I think admission test starts in may june and academic session starts 1sep. I am noit very sure. When u r likely to land here. Anyways do you know anyone already in shanghai, if yes it will be good. If no, your company and colleagues can help u out but the important thing u cant get help from chinese willingly. You search information on net and ask them to help you out thenit will be easier. What i have experienced, chinese people's best sentence " i dont know" or " sorry, i dont understand". So come with a lot of confidence and try to get information as much as possible. Internet will be the best friend here. Which company you ae joining here? We are planning to shift shanghai by next year or beijing, lets c how luck favors us.

take care,
    PAdma

7. nsandvik

nsandvik New IL'ite

Hi Shanti

My husband is here for 5yrs. First 2yrs i was here but after conceiving i went to bangalore theni came here in 2010 my son got sick so i went back to bangalore. Now again i am here, my stay depends on my son's health. If i shift to shanghai or beijing then no tension.

take care,
    PAdma

8. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi Shanti,
    above two response by nsandvik is by me only... actually mu husband recently created his accouint and he didnt log out. I didnt checked that he has logged in... but those responses are by me. I would like to tell you if you have 4-5months time and not very busy then learn basic chinese it will help u a lot....read book , search online and the best will be to join some class.

take care,
    PAdma

9. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi Shanti,
    above two response by nsandvik is by me only... actually mu husband recently created his accouint and he didnt log out. I didnt checked that he has logged in... but those responses are by me. I would like to tell you if you have 4-5months time and not very busy then learn basic chinese it will help u a lot....read book , search online and the best will be to join some class.

take care,
    PAdma

10. shanti2011

shanti2011 New IL'ite

Hi Padma,
    Thank u very much for ur reply. We dont know anybody in China. So i think we will have to manage by ourselves. My daughters session gets over by MArch end new session starts by April so we were thinking to come there before her new session starts if there the new session starts in September I think we will have time to adjust. lets see. I am really so frightened that dont know how i will cope. Actually children get adjusted very quickly and husbands also become busy with new jobs dont know what i will do there. i am working as a teacher here dont know if we can get jobs there. And seeing the response of so many people that they r getting bored i am really worried. From where can we learn chinese i can manage time to learn so that it is not very difficult there

Thanks
    shanti