Shifting From India To Sharjah, Items That Should Be Brought Along

Discussion in 'IL'ites in Sharjah' started by embroidery, Jun 10, 2016.

1. embroidery

embroidery New IL'ite

Dear All,

I would be shifting to Sharjah from Mumbai in August.
    It would be great if you can share your experiences and help me with the below issues.

a. Should I get more things from India to Sharjah, or is it better to buy stuff there?
    b. What are the kitchen items that I must get from India?
    c. I have read at a few places that statues are not allowed. I have a variety of God statues that I wish to bring. Is it actually illegal to bring them? If not, what are the options, I really want to bring them.
    d. I am planning to get some luggage via sea route, are there any issues with custom clearing.

Thanks in Advance!!
    Regards,
    Priya

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016

2. preethuanu

preethuanu Senior IL'ite

Dear Priya,

Welcome to Sharjah. :)

Ans to C: You can bring God statues here...there is no issues with that... i brought them with me.
    Ans to D: Do not know about customs clearing issue
    Ans to A: The things you can bring here depends upon the weight restrictions on your flight. It will be a good idea if you bring some stuffs from India so that it doesn't overwhelm you to start from scratch.

I will advise you to get all the furniture stuffs from here. You can easily get cheap furnitures in Al Nabba area. Or branded ones from Home Centre, Ikea, Pan Emirates, Home box (which is relatively cheap), and many other bigger brands.

Definitely some clothes :D. You can always buy here...And I think it's better to buy during offers... But mostly clothes are cheaper in India.

And to B : I used to bring powders like Red chilly powder, Turmeric powder, Coriander powder, etc from India because my mom makes it at home. So Its much healthy. But you can always get it here.

Mixer grinders and all are available here for 200 to 400 dirhams... if you want you can bring them...

Also, if you like, it would be nice to bring some pots and pans for cooking if you already have them.
    You might necessarily need a tea/coffee making pot, pressure cooker, wok, kadai, extra utensils to keep the prepared food, some laddles, spoons and forks , plates, cups, etc

All the electronics stuff, you can get cheaper here like TV , refrigerator, Washing machine, microwave, Phone, Gas stove, etc

You may bring some snacks from India..you may not get the ones that taste the same.

Also advice you to bring some good bedsheets. Blankets, Comforters and all you can get from here.

So main thing that you could buy from here are furnitures and electronics.
    Get the other things like clothes, bed sheets, curry powders, pots and pans, etc from India.

Rest of the things you can buy as you need.

I hope it finds helpful for you.

embroidery likes this.
  3. embroidery

embroidery New IL'ite

Thank you dear for taking out your time to respond to my query. I have got quite a good idea, what to bring along. Many Thanks!!

4. Manjee

Manjee New IL'ite

Hi,
    Glad to know someone is coming form mumbai...one week back I moved to sharjah...
    In which area you are moving...
    I stay in Al qushmiya...
    I am really looking for friends