1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sheera, Khichdi, Pulao

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by deepslikes, Feb 5, 2015.

1. deepslikes

deepslikes Platinum IL'ite

I don't really consider myself a good cook, but I like to think I am a decent one.

Today, I was disturbed to find that I was ignorant of three essential recipes - Sheera, Khichdi, Pulao. I have never heard of Sheera and never tasted Khichdi though I have heard of it. (Maybe that is because I am a South Indian, but hey, don't we all believe in Mile sur mera tumhara?)
    Pulao - Is it pulao or biryani or vegetable rice that I usually make? What exactly is the difference?

In the interest of national integration, I decided to give them all a try immediately.

I discovered that Sheera was similar to the South Indian kesari. That doesn't help me because I don't know how to make the South Indian kesari.
    I found a Tarla Dalal recipe and modified it by reducing the ghee to a minimum and adding in some pineapple I had on hand. My tinkering messed up something and I had to stand there forever, stirring in extra ghee and water. Ugh, at least I didn't burn it.

Next Khichdi. Again Tarla Dalal to the rescue. This time, I decided to follow the recipe to a T. But her recipe serves four and I only wanted half a serving. Now, how was I to divide the cooking time by 8?? Anyway, I got on with it. Midway, I saw the 1/16th cup of mung dal sitting on the counter. Witsend I switched off the pressure cooker, let the pressure go down, transferred the contents to another pan, boiled the dal for exactly the same time, let the pressure go down and then mixed everything together. Wait - I had forgotten the salt as well, but at least, I caught that in time. But - I was out of salt! At this point, I was tempted to substitute the salt with my tears. I checked the saline content of tears online. Nope, tears were not going to work. It was late, I wasn't going to go to the grocery store; I hunted desperately and finally found the kosher salt that I got last year for some forgotten purpose. But I shed some more tears in the process because my already disorganized kitchen was now upside down.

Well, semi-solid Khichdi ready. On to Pulao. The simplest Pulao that existed on earth (or internet). Done.

But what was I to do with Pulao? Where is the gravy that accompanies the Pulao? Three hours of effort and I was very disappointed in myself, forget about impressing an authority figure in a hypothetical situation. I cried some more. Finally I convinced myself that a Pulao side dish was not a part of the assignment; raita will have to do.

No chance of being called a proper Indian DIL(oops) now. I had a headache and found Zandu balm in the medical cabinet, but it had expired 7 years ago! More tears.

1-001.jpg

Finally I had my dinner. I want to say that they all tasted okay, but what do I know? My pillow is soaked and I must sign off.

PS: I am exaggerating of course, no pillows were harmed in the making of Sheera, Khichdi, Pulao.

20 people like this.

2. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

@deepslikes your KSP looks so sweet and yummy. I really loved the way you described it. You know i was planning to make and write the recipe. But never got a chance to make it and unfortunately, these days i am very busy with work. So most of time, we end up eating garlic breads, pizza (add toppings on the crust from costco), or dal-rice or bhel ( i make the sweet and the green chatnis and store them in freezer) which i always have it handy.

Anyway congratulations on your qualification to be an ideal DIL. Your MIL will be so happy.

Anyway, loved your narration and good food. Sorry, i ate all of them.

1 person likes this.
  3. parineetha

parineetha IL Hall of Fame

LOL..LOL…Deeps! I’m not prepared to hear such tales, yea tales I say!
    Few of us here know how drool worthy your cooking is and our Shan’s n co. wait every time with bated tongue and longing eyes to see your colorful platter. Now, how do you expect me to believe that you’re not a good cook? Tell me? Better excuses next time OK..
    wonderful writing and As always lovely pics, I’m controlling myself here…Thursday-vrat day…you shouldn't be doing this now deeps. notdonesmiley
    acha take care!...happy indulgence :-D..good for both of you ;-)

1 person likes this.
  4. stillwaters

stillwaters Gold IL'ite

Hi deeps , your narration has me smiling and remembering my early married life and your pictures have me drooling .
    Well written . Please continue .

1 person likes this.
  5. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

@Deepslikes Sister,

:thankyou2: for the virtual treat, I was full, my hunger satisfied reading your narration, so it ought to have come tasty and wonderful as the efforts were sincere.

May Baba guide us always, SAIRAM

1 person likes this.
  6. seekingbless

seekingbless Platinum IL'ite

hi deeps, ur sheera, khichdi and pulao looks superb. parcel some to me... gigglingsmiley

1 person likes this.
  7. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear @deepslikes ,

Hi, how is that your Sheera and Khichdi look like some modified version of colourful Idlis? Your Pulao looks very good! Well presented! I am sure it tasted equally good.

Enjoyed your lovely exaggerations! By the way, what were the comments of your DH?

1 person likes this.
  8. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

@Deeps,
    Super narration! All three looks so tasty and tempting. Wish I too had the time and mind to prepare the same.:tongue

9. sravanitenali

sravanitenali IL Hall of Fame

Love the exaggeration in your post deeps with a droll worthy pics :)

1 person likes this.
  10. deepslikes

deepslikes Platinum IL'ite

2 people like this.