1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

She Stoops to Simper

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by twinsmom, Jul 19, 2011.

1. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Finest Blog Winner - Fourth Weekly Pick of July 2011

Talk shows are not my cup of tea. They are not even my ‘kup of koffee’ even if served on a dishy tray like Karan (Suave) Johar. I feel irritated by the affected prattle of celebrities (read Bollywood demi-gods with feet of clay). I have in my time sat through an Oprah Show, a Phil Donahue or even A Rendezvous with the Lady in White… I have watched (I am hesitant to confess) Koffee episodes for want of nothing better to do (or watch) on a Sunday, but never have I felt distaste for a show like I have for Simi Garewal’s India’s Most Desirable.

Now why had I watched Phil Donahue’s show? I was a victim to the lure of the cable network revolution of the late 80’s and the 90’s. It was exhilarating to watch international shows on the Telly; shows which gave me a chance to see life out there from my sitting room couch, in addition to tutoring me on words, usages, accents and body language. Then as I watched, suddenly Donahue made way for Oprah Winfrey, who I felt, had terrific screen personality and admirable directness. Soon she became larger than life…and I lost interest in her.
    At the desi level, Aap Ki Adaalat was interesting… as was Simi Garewal’s Rendezvous. Like Maggie Ketchup, “It’s different”. I watched a few episodes and then just gave up. The sitcoms were more up my alley. They were funny, clever and you did not have to put up with egoistic grandiosity of the filmy constellation.
    I liked Ellen Degeneres whom I first saw hosting the 2007 Academy Awards. I was mesmerized by her wit and her one- liners that evening. Later saw her in the Ellen Degeneres Show for a season. Liked her show in spite of her sexual preferences.
    Karan Johar was witty and funny but then he became stereotypical. Pandering to the same set of celebrities… the pseudo yearning for his hamper… No… in spite of the new gimmicks it rated low in my charts. But compared to the latest Simi fiasco, Karan Johar’s ‘Koffee’ seems more appetizing than ever! The lady in white has been serving tidbits which are clearly unpalatable.

"I feel very sad that in India, a land full of intelligent and brainy people, people don't think up new ideas! They'd rather go easy and copy American shows or clone international shows, but few people give themselves time to write up stuff that's brand new. Believe me, brand new stuff is always welcomed. As an audience, I want to see new stuff, not clones and clones of shows...at least that's what I think,"
    "That's why I wanted to create a show with an original format that nobody has seen before, which would appeal to mostly young people... but then there would be something for all ages. There's also going to be a live audience, which is not something we have seen before on Indian TV," she said.

She said that in an interview prior to the airing of the first episode. Unfortunately, there is nothing new about her show… nor original. Her stars have got nothing original to talk about. The phrase ‘damp squib’ comes to the mind while rating her show. I have a feeling it may fizzle out… it had better, if this is her format.

"I'll not wear white only in the first episode! Then I go back to my whites, with sometimes a splash of black...But I am going to stick with whites mostly because I love my white, I feel happy in white, and I want to continue wearing white always," she said in an excited tone.

Who cares? Let me give it to you, in black and white, Ms Garewal… your show lacks colour, style or chic! At least what I have glimpsed so far. And I have a gut feeling that it is common opinion.

“So I feel with a show like this, we want the audience to know that if they call these people desirable, what are these celebrities really like because there are going to be strong revelations about every guest on my show," she added.

I am sorry, Ms Garewal… the deadheads, the youth with nothing better to do than touch John Abraham’s abs are hardly the yardstick to measure the popularity of your show. Your ‘Kiki’ act is the ultimate insult to the viewers’ sensibilities. It is annoying to say the least. Makes you want to rename the show ‘ Mera Naam Joker’. I hope Star World allots this weekend prime time slot to something more desirable.

Last word:
    Well… Simi may have felt she has a ‘Karz’ to the television audience and with some ‘ Haath Ki Safai’ decided to host another ‘Rendezvous’, but ‘Chalthe Chalte’ let me tell you Simiji, you have ended up stooping to simper … tasting worse than Karan Koffee dregs.

2. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the review, TM. I am soon going to India and so now know what not to see. :)
    Oprah was my favourite for I think she covered personalities from various fields and I loved her hearty laugh. So was Randevous with simi garewal..very interesting in season one....then I think I lost interest..I liked Ellen degeneres too for her ready wit ..

3. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Hi Mindian,
    Hahaha.... You can watch it once to see if you agree with me! ;-)

4. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Wow! IL, Finest Blog...eh? I am honoured!

5. senzzation

senzzation New IL'ite

oh, so true ... Simi's latest show is incorrigible. And she'd better stick to just white ... the black n white combo makes her look tacky.
    Congrats on the winning the Finest Blog !!!