1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

She / Mil Did It Again : Ho Gayi Diwali

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Goahead, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Goahead

Goahead Silver IL'ite

Called my in laws very excitedly for Diwali . Sweet coated mil made sure to tell my husband n me on speaker how her sister went to daughters in laws house to give Diwali ( an indirect way to tell about my parents who live like 10000 Kim’s away .. also to tell my husband about giving to his sister )
    Out of the blue there was no mention of anything of this kind but she made sure to talk about this

Never ever gifted me or our kids anything n is always taking from me n this lady has the audacity even after 15 years of our marriage to keep talking about how my parents should be always giving to her
    NEver ever she can follow any traditional ritual of giving to dil or son but all the rituals that she conveniently follows are for her n her daughters benefits

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Why 'very excitedly'? With experience on your side, why not keep expectations low, keep the call light, and focus on pleasant talk like wishing a Happy Diwali?
    So? Why are you flaring up with her indirect messages? Be cool like a damp fire cracker. Refuse to ignite and launch.

You make sure to let it one ear and out the other. Don't give that conversation space in your head after the call has ended.

If totally ignoring her barbs is difficult, soon after the call give husband a summary of the call. Present him your interpretation of his mother's comments because we all know that men are incapable of reading between the lines when it is mommy dearest talking. After that brief summary, close that topic and move on to more enjoyable programs and life's to-do's. Even better, after presenting the summary reach for a besan laddoo for a finishing touch. Make a statement: she could not manage to spoil the festival for you. Having dealt with her call, you are on to having laddoos. : )

drdiva, Metamorphic and shreepriya like this.
  3. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

@Goahead should learn how to record (voice, video) calls.
    Playback after cooling down can be quite hilarious. You can also playback to husband, if necessary.
    Holiday fun for the whole family. Try it the next time around.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    shreepriya likes this.
  4. Metamorphic

Metamorphic Platinum IL'ite

Hey, are you still excited about people who have been annoying you for the past 15 years? You are too good and they are undeserving. Learn to detach with them emotionally and importantly, never call them when you are in your high spirits or festive mood. Time your calls based on your preparedness to take the sh*t.