1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

SHE - Episode 3

Discussion in 'SHE - Serial Story' started by varalotti, May 11, 2007.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Kamla for those words. This is one of the several problems faced by the writers. And I have another problem too.

I have written a lot of stories about in-laws. When I depict dil in a bad light, my wife would complain, "you can't do this to me." When the mil is bad in the story my mother would take offence. My pleas with them, that they are just figments of my imagination, would fall into deaf years.

The Teddy Bear story which was published in DH last year, was published first in Tamil about 7 years back. (It's in the collection Jannal). In that story the father would be a very loving person and the mother not so loving. My wife was upset. (Why should always the father be soft, loving and caring?).

It was my sister who consoled her, "Manni, the father in the story is not sridhar. He is too good to be identified with Sridhar. And Manni, you are too good to be identified with the mother in the story." That was very true also. For I do not share my wife's patience while dealing with my daughter.

To cap it all once I wrote a story about a fake sanyassin (it will be in Jannal: the title of the story is "Kaavi Nirathil Oru Paavi"). I had written that story in first person. When the hero of the story is actually an anti-hero (in this case a criminal) to write it in the first person endears the writer to the readers.
    But my mother was offended. She said that people might think that I have similar criminal tendencies and requested me not to write in first person, if the character is not good. Of course I did not and could not heed to that advice.

"But now, you can look up to your own creation and may be the one who will profit out of it will be Preethi!"

My daughter is sure to love these words.
    Love,
    sridhar

2. varalotti

3. mythili

mythili Senior IL'ite

Dear Varalotti sir,
    I just got the chance to read Episode 3.

I wonder if Shal will feel that she is partially guilty for her mother's death. After all, she knew her mothers nature.
    Inspite of knowing how weak hearted her mom is, she made her mom even more nervous by her statements about the race car driver or Oscar director.

I know some persons in real life who were very talented and succesful professionally. In a matter of few years, they accomplished so much that they could do anything in the world. But faced some serious set backs in their personal life. And these set backs had a domino effect on their professional life as well.
    All of a sudden, the fame and publicity seems to be worthless in comparison to the presence of a loved one.

Thank you Varalotti sir, for making us think..
    and looking forward for the future episodes of SHE.

Love,
    Mythili

4. varalotti

Dear Mythili,

I am sure Shal or any other person in her place would feel the guilt, though they may not express it in ways known to us.

And this is the problem with all head-strong persons. Developing the intellect and neglecting the emotional side, leads to problems like these. I have seen it in some of the brilliant accountants, great doctors and engineers. They are so focussed on their work which sharpens their intellects that the emotional side is starved.

That's why wherever I go I ask my accountant friends to read good story books, good literature to balance what they do in their profession. Adi Sankara wrote many great works expounding his Advaita philosophy. At the same time he wrote simple devotional songs like subramanya bhujangam and bhaja govindham so that the emotional or the devotional side is taken care of.

Shal's attitude towards her mother, though not wrong in itself, has some lessons for us to learn.
    At any point of time fame, wealth, publicity and everything in that class are worthless tinsel compared to the presence of a loved one. I say this after moving with some of the richest persons of this city.

Thanks Mythili for your participation.
    regards,
    sridhar

1 person likes this.
  5. varalotti

SHE Episode 4 Posted!

Most Gracious ILites,

Thanks for being with me in this great journey. I am learning from this story as much as you are.

This story is a journey in air, a flight in a spacious A-380 state of the art craft. Only thing is that our flight capacity here is more than 10 times of that of an A 380.

I am posting Episode 4 now.
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/saturdays-with-varalotti/7730-she-episode-4-a.html#post65631

We are now taxiing the runway with full speed and are likely to take off at any time.

Fasten your seat belts. Take care. But dont miss the beautiful scenic view from your window.

As usual your captain (and the flight attendant rolled into one) is waiting for your views on the journey.

regards,
    varalotti

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  6. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

Dear Varalotti,
    I read this episode long back but only now I re read to reply. Shal is tough but reckless bordering on selfishness and heartlessness. Shal's mother is ,like all mothers, very conscious of her daughter's weakness and may be recklessness.I do think it is the mother who plays a tougher role of grooming the daughter's personality to face the challenges of life while the father blindly encourages her whims and fancies.Shal's mother could not bear to see her disappointed daughter and her over anxiety killed her. Will Shal realise the value of human relationships?Hmmmmm, lets see.
    Regards,
    Meenu

7. varalotti

Dear Meenu,

I do agree Shal has those qualities - a little tough bordering on recklessness. I know many women like that. Some of them are happy, some of them are not.

As you will see later Shal does realise the value of human relationship. But she cant stand any relationship in which she is taken for granted. All of us need to compromise a little while relating to human being. I have seen staunch vegetarian women learning to cook non-vegetarian food for the sake of their husbands. I met a distant cousin of mine who loved and married a guy from another religion. She is pretty older to me and her husband is dead now. I was shocked to see that even her language had undergone a sea-change. I could not understand her Tamil and had repeatedly ask her to explain.

But so long as the compromise is there at an external level its okay. When a relationship demands a compromise at a core level, then it is a different ball game. In a Tamil movie I saw Saritha would refuse to marry her lover because he insisted that she should change religion. When someone refuses to make that kind of a core compromise she appears arrogant for a while. She is definitely unhappy. But at the end of the day well, many of them are happy in the fullest sense of the term.

Any further explanation will mean my saying the story in advance. Let's just wait and see. I will give the second part of the explanation at the end of the last episode.

regards,
    varalotti

8. varalotti

Re: Valarpom Thannanbikkai - 12

Dear All,

In response to the popular demand I am posting a simple English translation of my article "Ennam Pol Vazhvu" which appeared in Dinamalar Varamalar today.

I do not want to post links to the newspaper site. So if any of you want to read the article in Tamil, please pm me for the links to the Tamil newspaper site.

For those who want to read the article in English, please click the link below:

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/sundays-with-varalotti/7825-you-what-you-think-valarppom.html
    regards,
    Varalotti

9. varalotti

1 person likes this.
  10. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Varalotti,

You have 29 posts in this thread, I think about half of that number as your replies to FB. I have scaned high and low for a reply tomy FB and see that I have been ignored (I refrain from using a modifier here). May I ask why? My English is not good enough for She, is that so?

Vidya

PS: I need a reason, not an excuse. And pls do not embark on a charm offensive as is your wont , it does not work with me.