1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

SHE - Episode 2

Discussion in 'SHE - Serial Story' started by varalotti, May 4, 2007.

1. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Sri Varalotti,

Enjoyed the second episode of SHE. The characters appear life-like. I epecially liked the character of Shiva. However much women lament that men discriminate against them, I am sure every woman will fid a few paternal male figures in her life who have shaped her. You have portrayed that well. Liked Shalini changing into a roomy caftan.

regards
    Vidya

2. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    I too liked Shiva's characterisation ......and the way Shalini is being led through her teenage years .....i believe in this theory of just telling the children and not advising or admonishing them when they are in this part of their life. They will be exposed to a lot of changes and this is the time to try out and be their friends ! But i wonder how Shalini survived for so long in her m,arried life....it does sound stifling.....and waiting to hear how she made her choice of Rishi and was Shiva there is help her in this part of her life!?

interesting characters .....awaiting your next episode!:2thumbsup:

3. meenakshirajan

meenakshirajan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar Sir,
    Second episode is really good. Especially Shiva's character. I am waiting to know about Shalini's married life. Why Rishi is too dependent? oh, have to wait for one more week.
    Meenakshirajan

4. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

2 nd episode is really very interesting & at the end it was touchy too, I liked the below lines too much, really very great write up & i'm confident shalini's story will really inspire us all. Waiting for 3rd episode.

5. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

SHE is turning to be a great serial story. When I read the first episode about her FIL, the first thing came to my mind was my FIL:-D . Though my FIL is not an army officer or anything, but he still has his 17th century ideas and thinks similar. I can easily relate to Shalini.......and more than anything I liked the lines

a woman’s first need is not security. It is not even love. It is freedom - the freedom to be truly herself and true to herself.

Which is very true in my opinion. Would like to know more about how Shalini would handle her FIL and her hubby...either change them or rebel against them.

Great going....
    sihi

6. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Thanks AGR!

Dear AGRji,

(Honestly I will be very happy and grateful to you if you can drop the ji suffix. It reminds me of some north Indian Nethas whom I love to hate)

I am very moved to see that Shiva reminds you of your Dad. In bringing up a girl child, her mother has a major role to play, no doubt. But what the girl becomes later in life largely depends on her father.

Yes the world of men looks at working women indignantly. Suppose I go out to give a lecture (which I do quite often) and come home late in the night, my wife will be waiting for me with food and all. I will be pampered a little more than normal days. Every one in the family will be discussing what I talked and how it was received.

But reverse the scene. If my wife goes out for some public performance and comes home. She has to pretend she had done nothing great (if she had addressed the United Nations on Nuclear Disarmament). She has to cook for all of us and then complete the arrears of household chores. ( Sudha, thanks for this idea and the words)

As to my bringing out what is there in a woman's mind, Well, I have never been a ladies man in my life (My wife's favourite quote: If I had not married you, nobody else would have) but I have been a ladies' writer (if that term can be coined). So it goes with the trade.
    Thanks AGR,
    sridhar (not sridharji)

7. varalotti

Thanks Meena!

Hello Meena,

I am very happy that you have raised this issue. My answer to your million dollar question runs into some 30000 plus words and it is the whole of the remaining story.

There was always this pertinent question - whether the women who are like Shalini, valuing their freedom over and above love and security, will be happy or not. But women who have been denied that freedom, who did not have a chance to blossom into their fullest self, are never going to be happy.

Happiness has a special meaning here. It does not mean material abundance - sarees, jewels and other luxuries. It does not even mean a woman living with her husband, children and the rest of her family. It only means that the woman, whatever may be her state, is enjoying her stay in this planet, in the truest sense of the term.

Subsequent episodes will explain this statement.

Thanks for making me think on those lines.
    regards,
    sridhar

8. varalotti

Thanks, Mythili!

Thanks Mythili for your comments. You will know more about Rishi and his qualities later.

Many children these days are brought up like Rishi. They have a day packed with things to do, right from the morning to the evening. A boy I know is woken up at 4 in the morning and goes on till 11 in the night. In the day he has to attend 2 private tuitions, go for tennis classes, keyboard classes, do his homework and to cap it all spend 6 hours in school. Such kids tend to become Rishis.

You will know more about Shalini's career (and like her life it is also on the verge of a huge change) soon.

Shaini has to put up with her father-in-law now. But soon...(No, no, I dont want to tell the story in advance, let's read it at the right time.

Thanks a lot Mythili for your comments.
    regards,
    Varalotti

9. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

Episode 2 seems to be very interesting with all the main characters being dissected very well. I did like Shiva's character but am a bit afraid if it will give Shalini her freedom or make her too rebelious. It is too early to say if Rishi has lost his identity. As for Shalini's FIL I want to wait and see, because in this episode you have painted him differently.

Love,

PS-Enjoyed the last few lines and you have spoken like a true'hero':2thumbsup:

10. vidhukumar

vidhukumar Senior IL'ite

Hi Mr Varalloti,
    after 'the haunted house' and 'the price 'serial....i havent been able to follow many of your writings as i delivered a baby and was busy the 1st few months getting used to the new life with a baby....now i have resumed reading&i must say 'SHE' is a very realistic&touching story!!many of us can identify with the changes that marriage brings about.....and one part of our personality that we bury the day we get married....