1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Shaving head bring in thicker & more hair-myth or fact

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by sidrasmom, May 3, 2010.

1. sidrasmom

sidrasmom New IL'ite

Hi Ladies

Please share your experience about shaving your toddlers head.

i am in a dilemma whether to shave my DD head .she is one year old.
    As of now she has good black curly hair but sought of fuzzy not thick.
    i have straight short hair & my DH is bald.
    i am worried if i shave her hair it will be difficult to grow back as both of us are not lot of hair ones.
    As of now i style her hair a lot with piggy tails and all.But our family is pressuring to shave her head.As her head sweats they feel that worsens her condition when she has fever.

Does shaving head will bring better & thicker hair? I have heard many a times people with really long hair say they shaved there head once in childhood.But is that the reason for thick hair in later stage of life.

I like black thick curly hair and want my DD to have it.From birth I am very careful about her hair ,not shampooing it & just applying coconut oil.Though length i believe if it runs in the family the future generations may have it but what about the texture.

2. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

The hair your baby has is genetically determined. Shaving will not make the hair thicker or increase the density. As hair grows, it thins out at the ends - which is why we keep trimming our hair. After shaving, the ends are at the root and when they grow, hair will seem to be thicker. Shaving your DD's head is an option left to you. But you need not worry that the hair will not grow back. It is only in adults that the hair growth slows down, etc. Kids' hair will grow back. Don't worry. I do not know where you live, but if you are in India, a shaved head is a good way to beat the summer and all the sweating. :) Good luck with your decision.

3. lotusgirl

lotusgirl Senior IL'ite

i agree its genetic.AnithaA's post is on the spot..But there must be something in the cultural beliefs of having a head tonsure, but then its pretty regional & religious too. I know loads of people with nice thick hair who have never had a head tonsure bcause it was not part of their belief!
    So i guess its up to you as you why you dont or do want a tonsure for your kid...