1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Shattered homes!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rvnachar, May 8, 2010.

1. rvnachar

rvnachar Silver IL'ite

I wish all of us could understand the language of the birds, animals and insects! We, as the most sensible living being, cause untold misery to every other living being for various reasons like feeding ourselves, clothing ourselves, pleasing ourselves, entertaining ourselves and comforting ourselves! We don't even pause to think what the poor creature would be feeling. Just because we do not hear or understand their cries, we feel we can go on like this! Harmony is never in our dictionary. We cannot live harmoniously with our own kind! So, how can we expect us living in harmoney with nature? Never mind that we understand what is befalling us by our irresponsible behaviour, we will still continue to exploit nature beyond repair! Cruel as we are, what more can be expected from us? Here is a small piece written by me and published in Deccan Herald dated 8th May, 2010, which I want to share with all the ILites.
    WHERE IS MY HOME?

I read about the experience of a social activist, when she had gone to Nagapattinam to help the victims of Tsunami. The Government authorities did not allow her group to put up a temporary hospital there as per their plan and were just about to leave along with all the things that they had taken for distribution. Just then a girl aged about 11-12 years came running to them with tears in her eyes. She seemed to be from a middle-class family. She had lost her home and all her family members. She looked shocked and lost and just sought for a steel plate to collect the free food that was being distributed nearby.

Even now I cannot sleep when I think of that little girl and all the millions of children who get orphaned in natural calamities or wars. Children are the worst affected, because they are not trained to face such eventualities and they are not empowered too. They become vulnerable for exploitation of different kinds by cruel adults. Just imagine the shock that a child will get when he suddenly loses all security! There are many NGOs working for such children, though there is not enough to cover all such children.

As I now drive along the roads of Bangalore, I get the same depressive feeling as I get thinking of these children, when I see hundreds of butchered trees lying helplessly all over. Thousands of birds, reptiles and insects lived on those trees and made their homes there-some on the branches, some inside the trunks, some amongst the leaves and some at the base. Just imagine the shock and despair that those innocent beings would have got when they returned from their sojourns one evening to find the entire tree missing or lying dead! They do not know to cry for help. They too miss their little ones, for whose sake they fly miles in search of proper abodes and make their little homes without disturbing any human being in any way.

A couple of eagles build their nest on top of a tree in front of my house every year during summer. It is fun to watch the eagles getting sticks of all kinds and making the nest on the topmost branch. When the eggs are laid, the couple watch the nest by turns and shoo away the cunning crows and naughty squirrels. Similarly some kind of colourful parakeet makes its nest inside the branches, by boring neat round holes. I was surprised to find the bird squeezing itself into the branch one day through that small hole! These birds do not disturb each other or the human beings down below. They go on with their lives religiously.

All their hard labour is ignored and the cruel and greedy man just brings down the mighty tree destroying hundreds of such little homes and killing thousands of lives. Just because these beings are small, do they not have any right to life? Just because they do not talk, don’t they have any right to share this planet? Nature has always been helping man and yet man tries to boss over nature, thinking that he is the sole owner of this beautiful planet. When will this nonsense stop?

Sudha Narasimhachar