share your thoughts

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Alyssum, Jan 24, 2013.

1. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Grammar:

which one is the best to improve my writing as well as speaking in beginners level.
    which one is the best to improve my writing, as well as speaking, at a beginner's level.
    This could also be written as:
    which one is the best to improve my writing, as well as speaking, at a beginners' level.

Can you spot the difference?
    Beginner (Singular) -> a beginner's
    Beginners (plural) -> beginners'

In English, for words ending with an 'S', we add the apostrophe after the 'S' in the plural form.
    Example:
    I am a beginner. I write at a beginner's level.
    We are beginners. We write at a beginners' level.

Here, also mistakes had done, kindly correct it.
    If I have made any mistakes here, kindly correct them.
    When you are referring to the same noun, you must match the 'number'.
    'Mistake' is singular - you would say 'it', when referring to one mistake.
    'Mistakes' is plural - you would say 'them' when referring to more than one mistake.

Examples:
    If I have made a mistake, kindly correct it.
    If I have made mistakes, kindly correct them.

2. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

That was soo cute i loved the way you have introduced this thread.You said because everyone around you is busy thats why you have turned to IL...i dont know why you sound like Sridevi of english-vinglish
    Seriously i dont want to correct you ....you sound soo innocent ...just remain this way

3. sokanasanah

Suggestions:

Regarding your question about whether you should write on a topic or write dialogues, I think you should attempt both. However, remember that dialogues are more difficult to write well, unless you have a good ear. Try to pay attention to how people speak - then try to imitate that in writing. It is a good exercise.

Having said that, for professional writing, it is better (and easier!) to write short paragraphs on a topic. To start with, write on topics that interest you. When you write about about something you are enthusiastic about, you will have a lot to say. That will force you to look for words and ways to say what you wish to say! Try writing about some interesting events from your childhood or about a movie that you like - if you try to tell stories, the words will come naturally.

It is especially useful to pay attention to the 'functional aspects' of writing. See this page for examples: Functional Writing Activities | eHow.com

It would be very helpful for you to develop a systematic list of useful 'functional' words and phrases for various scenarios.
    For example:
    Expressing your feelings: likes, dislikes, mood.
    I like it / I hate it / I am indifferent to it / I enjoyed it / I was bored by it ... and so on. The point I am trying to make is that if you can express your feelings about a movie, you can use the same or very similar phrases to write about a book or about a car.

Similarly, you can try to generate words / sentences / phrases for:
    Comparing things: why is one better than the other?
    Example: Can you distinguish between 'fewer' and 'lesser'?
    Expressing desire, dreams, wishes: Imagining a different reality. This is hard because you need to be comfortable with the 'subjunctive mood'. Even experienced writers do this badly!!

Here is a website that you will find very useful:
    http://www.grammar-monster.com/
    If you take only one suggestion from me, then this is it! Practice with this site. The lessons are short and the examples are usually very good.
    The site has many useful features, including:
    Grammar Lessons | Grammar Tests | Common Grammar Errors | Grammatical Terms | Easily Confused Words
    You may want to start here:
    http://www.grammar-monster.com/free_grammar_tests.html
    Then if you don't understand the answer or explanation, you can ask me.

I would suggest that you do the exercises. There are many of them. They are great for a beginner!
    For e.g. see:
    Subjunctive Mood (grammar lesson)

Also sign up for the Grammar Monster e-mail newsletter. You will get one lesson by e-mail each week. It will be good fun, you will enjoy it!! They do not send spam, so it's OK to sign up.

4. Alyssum

Alyssum Platinum IL'ite

Hi Good evening,
    Sokanasanah,
    here you suggested lot of idea to improve the writing, i will try to practice with the grammer monster.com sites.

first, i will learn the grammar part completely then i will start writing and post here. so, i take time for three days and continue monday onwards here.

Thank you.

5. sokanasanah

Hi Alyssum,
    There are a LOT of grammar quizzes there! It will take a lot longer than 3 days. In any case, the site is useful and the exercises are quite good. Try the tests, check your answers and then a few days later try the same test again. Then you can use those sentences as a model for your writing!
    Good Luck!
    :cheers

Corrections:

here you suggested lot of idea to improve the writing,
    You have suggested a lot of ideas to improve my writing.

first, i will learn the grammar part completely then i will start writing and post here. so, i take time for three days and continue monday onwards here.
    First I will try to learn the grammar part completely and then I will start writing and post here. So, I will take time for three days and continue ....

6. sokanasanah

Suggestion:

Hi Alyssum:

If you read your posts, you will see that you tend to use the word 'here' a lot. If you want to improve your writing skills, you should avoid 'verbal tics' like that. A 'tic' is something one does almost involuntarily. For example, some people say 'you know?' a lot when they speak, others say 'know what I mean?' after every sentence. Try to avoid doing this. So, after you write a paragraph, read it. Look at every place where you said 'here'. Pretend that the word is very expensive and as if it costs you $1000 each time you use it. Then, eliminate it and re-word your sentence without it. Keep the word 'here' only when it is absolutely necessary.

For example, in your last post, you used the word 'here' three times in three sentences. That is not elegant. You could change the first sentence:

Here you suggested lot of idea to improve the writing,
    In your post you suggested ....

Anytime you feel the urge to use the same word again and again, compel yourself to look for a different word or try to write that sentence differently.

7. Alyssum

Alyssum Platinum IL'ite

Hi goodmorning, sokanasanah,

In my post, i will try to avoid use the same word again and again like "here, so on and etc.," .
    i am learning grammar and also i subscribed the grammar-monster.com.
    If i have any doubt, i ask you.
    I just see the grammar how and where to use the articles, have, has, was , were, is, are, had, will, shall, should, would, like that and tenses.
    not at all complete portion of grammar.
    If, i practice daily(grammar), it comes automatically i think so.

Thank you.

8. Alyssum

Alyssum Platinum IL'ite

Hi dinny,
    Still i am not watch the movie english-vinglish.
    any way u also suggested one information in your post . (my sound like innocent)
    i will change that attitude way.

Thank you dinny.

9. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

Hi op
    I commend you effort and I read few of your posts , there are some corrections but sokanasanah has already done the needful.
    You are very sweet and I am sure the efforts you are putting in will give you good results.
    All the best!

10. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

Correction in this post

Still I have not watched the movie English vinglish.
    Anyway you have also given one suggestion in your post that I sound innocent so I will change that attitude.

By the way, don't change your innocent attitude op:)