share your thoughts

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Alyssum, Jan 24, 2013.

1. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Avoid spelling mistakes in your writing.
    Very good!

Avoid oil foods in your diet.
    Very good!

Avoid your arguments and unnecessary thoughts.
    Avoid arguments and unnecessary thoughts.

Use proper materials to read and avoid excessive materials.
    This is grammatically correct, but the English is inelegant. Try again. What are you trying to say? What 'materials' are you talking about?

Please avoid use plastic things.
    Please avoid the use of plastic things.
    OR
    Please avoid the use of plastic.

Try to avoid comparison with others. This is worst habit.
    You could say: "This is the worst habit"
    OR
    "Try to avoid comparison with others. This is a bad habit."

When you use a superlative adjective like "worst", usually you have to answer the implied question, 'in comparison to what'? Otherwise it is better to not use that form. We can talk about comparative adjectives later!

Example:
    Alcohol is bad, smoking is worse, but taking drugs is the worst habit.
    OR
    Taking drugs is a very bad habit.
    OR
    Taking drugs is a terrible habit.

Avoid confusion.
    Good!

Avoid these foods during pregnancy.
    Very good!

Avoid driving while drink the alcohol.
    Avoid driving while drinking alcohol.
    OR
    Avoid driving while intoxicated.
    OR
    Avoid driving under the influence of alcohol.

Whenever possible avoid meet that person.
    Whenever possible, avoid meeting that person.
    OR
    Whenever possible, avoid that person.

Ignore
    In policeman ignore complaints.
    Try this one again. The sentence is not correct and I am not sure what you are trying to express.

These things are ignored by him.
    Good!

Some unnecessary rules are ignored by governments.
    Very good!

[QUOTES]I wrote these sentences.
    Am i understood correctly? [/QUOTE]
    Correction:
    "Have I understood correctly?"

Alyssum:
    You tend to make a lot of mistakes with the different forms of the verb "to be" and with constructions like "am I.." "have I..".

After finishing the current set of exercises, we will focus on that!

2. Alyssum

Alyssum Platinum IL'ite

Hi sokanasanah,

Good Morning:)

:goodidea: (I just read tamil magazine in these days)

Library is not possible to go.
    Take printout the story is possible.

I saw the correction and noted (try this once again) whenever i get net connection, I will post it.

I will come back my home may second end of the week sokanasanah.

Thank you.

:hiya

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sokanasanah,

When I see your replies here, I don't know why, I get emotional!!

Wish I had someone like you when I was struggling to learn a language or two! I would have been a much more enlightened and well read person today!

I shall try to peep into this thread whenever time permits.

L, Kamla

2 people like this.
  4. Alyssum

Alyssum Platinum IL'ite

Hi sokanasanah,
    :)Good Evening,

Sorry to say this…………..
    I get back my notebook and modem on june month only. So, I am not able to follow properly in this learning process.
    So, I quit from this thread .

Thank you so much sokanasanah.
    There is no words say to your helping tendency and your precious time to spend for this thread.:thumbsup

I am not getting bore. :rotfl:rotfl
    your way of idea is good and exercises are interesting to do. I am following your instruction and to do it. :cheers

Thank you.

Have a nice day.

5. Alyssum

Alyssum Platinum IL'ite

Hi all,

Thank you, who are all encouraged and motivated to me.:)

Thank you so much.

6. sokanasanah

7. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

Sokanasanah,

I've one question for my son, who is a third grader. Although an avid reader, I don't see any of his vocabulary skills being applied in his writing. How do I encourage him to include those in his writing? I myself am not good at English; I can barely manage.

Your pointer to 'Beast Academy' books [AoPS] was an instant hit & my son thoroughly enjoys those. I should say, it's a painless way of learning Math. Although it was neither my query nor my thread, I had benefited from the discussion and so goes my thanks, wholeheartedly.

Alyssu,

Sorry to barge in as I didn't know a way to grab Sokanasanah's attention.
    Thanks,

8. sokanasanah

This can be tricky. It depends on the child's personality. Here are some general tips that may help:

Most kids don't know that any new word they learn is free for them to use consciously in their writing, although they tend to do it effortlessly when speaking. Your son probably would use new 'cricket words' that he learned just recently, quite enthusiastically when he is talking right? :) The trick is to show him gently that this is allowed and desirable when writing!

(1) The first priority is to teach him to use the dictionary. This will improve his spelling, increase his feeling for words defined in terms of other words and help with distinguishing shades of meaning between synonyms. A good children’s dictionary is a must. It will greatly increase his independence. Slowly stop telling him the meaning of words – make him look it up. Also, note that the next step up from a dictionary is looking stuff up in an encyclopedia. The strategy is the same!

(2) One good way to expand his active vocabulary (i.e. words he knows how to actually use) is to encourage creative writing. If he likes to read, then try telling him that he would probably be a great writer. If he asks you to read him a story, then ask him to make up one of his own. Ask him to draw / write the story. Here are a couple of sites that can help to get started:
    Story Starters: Creative Writing Prompts for Kids | Scholastic.com
    Free Illustrated Story Starters from the Young Writers Workshop

The first site has a good story idea-generator. A little boy should be able to get into it!

The 2nd site is particularly good, because it has many examples of writing / drawing from kids of various ages.

(3) You can devise some sort of reward scheme (a new book?) for using new words in writing. The websites below can help you count unique words in a piece of text. Show him how to cut & paste into this window. The output will tell him how many words he wrote and how many unique words there are in his writing.
    Word Count Calculator | Count Total, Unique and Number of Words Repeated in a Text
    Online Word Counter

(4) Kids respond well if you make a big production of it – different kinds of paper (grades, textures) to write on (definitely not the same exercise books as used for school!), which are then made into a “book” with his own cover-art – that sort of thing. If you tell him that the high-quality paper is for his best work and he has to decide whether his rough work is up to snuff for the fancy paper, then he will begin to discriminate between his efforts. Well, I am sure you get the drift!

(5) Teach him some ‘structured’ writing – perhaps a bit later? Try asking him to imitate a piece of writing he likes.

The high-impact items for me as a little boy were the dictionary, reading, learning to imitate and writing competitions.

vaidehi71 and anugamit like this.
  9. sokanasanah

I am glad to hear this. These are absolutely the best books in the world for school maths, problem-solving and maths competitions. The quality & pedagogy are unmatched. I hope your son will stick with the AoPS books all the way through calculus!

On a slightly different note, I hope you know that the DVD version of the Encyclopedia Britannica is relatively inexpensive & a great bargain for the money! It is worth having, especially because it helps young children engage in research, while keeping them away from the dangerous dross online.
    See:
    Britannica 2013 Ultimate DVD – The Britannica Store
    I buy one every year, so I just thought I should point it out to you in case you were not already aware.

vaidehi71 likes this.
  10. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

As always, a detailed, honest reply and my sincere thanks for all the novel ways to lure my son into writing.
    I'ven't invested in encyclopaedia. Hopefully, it's time to.

1 person likes this.