1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Share your (LO's) favourite recipe

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Traveller, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hello mommies,

We ask one another for recipe at the various threads. I thought we could instead post it here. It will be easy for us to refer anytime. Also if you have any recipe that is your LO's favourite (it can be as simple as a porridge too) do share it here (link or typed)...

I'll start posting soon too...

Latha

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Latha, you read my mind! I have been reading the what did you feed your LO thread and getting a lot of inspiration. :thumbsup. Can we also make this a sticky so that it will be up in the display.

Rigatoni pasta with aubergine and zucchini. I also use conchiglie or farfelle with it. When K was younger I cut the veggies fine, now we get to use larger chunks (I have also made this with alphabet pasta but that did not turn out so well). Dairy free and yummy!

OH, I do add a bit of olive oil in the end, just to add some good fats to the diet.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  3. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Great Idea! Mine loves Banana pancakes - very easy and quick to make if you have an (over)ripe banana, and don't know what to do with it.

Mash 1 very ripe banana with a fork. Can add applesauce or other fruit puree as well. Mix one cup of whole milk and whisk. Add a few drops of vanilla flavor/extract. Add 1 cup of all purpose flour, sugar if you like, about half a spoon of baking powder, and mix without any lumps. Let stand for 5-10 mins. Cook on griddle. Pavan loves this with syrup....

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  4. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Ooooh, Latha, what a great idea.:thumbsup

Riya's favorite so far is mixed veggie Khichdi with dollops of dahi (yogurt). She loves it. Here's how I make khichdi for her (I am sure mommies already know it, but I'll still post it) -

1/4 cup rice
    1/2 cup Yellow Moong dal
    chopped mixed veggies (any) 3/4 cup

Boil all of these together with a pinch of turmeric. Temper with a little ghee and cumin powder. Add dahi while serving. Sometimes I add shaved turkey to it, which is another of her favorite food.

Raj

5. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Noodles

Our favourite noodles recipe. I buy noodles from chinese grocery without eggs. I cannot give the exact proportions though (wonder how one could measure, test, and write it down... loads of patience and passion):

Boil water and add little salt and little oli (i use olive oil). Add noodles to it and cook until soft. Drain in a colander and mix again little bit oil to prevent them from sticking.

I use tofu that i shallow fry in oil (just saute lightly). Remove and keep aside.

Finely chop carrots, beans, cabbage and steam in microwave (on high for 2-3 minutes.. i like mine well cooked). Thinly chop 1 small onion, a clove of garlic and grate some ginger. Very finely mince green chilli(es). Heat oil in a pan (you won't need much the left-over from frying tofu is enough). Stir fry onion, garlic and ginger till cooked. Add the green chilli, steamed veges, tofu and mix. Add salt, freshly ground pepper, soy sauce. Stir quickly and add the cooked noodles and tofu. Let them all simmer for 2-3 minutes (make sure the noodles don't get stuck at the bottom).

I have also replaced the soy with tabasco, added mushrooms... our quick-fix dinner always:)

latha

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  6. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

Latha... wonderful idea....

Here is nagla's favourite

Palak soup with rice...

little onion chopped
    handful chopped palak
    one slice of green chilli
    salt to taste

boil all these nicely with 1 1/2 glass of water...

now add 3-4 spoons of coconut milk powder... ( mix coconut milk powder with little water and add to it)

mix it with rice... she loves it... the only veggie she tasted till now is this..Big LaughBig Laugh

allow it to boil for sometime...

7. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

Chicken or veggie macroni...

1/2 small onion
    2 spoon curd
    1 spoon ginger garlic paste
    chilli powder, turmeric powder salt
    grind the above ingredients...

In a cooker add little butter , add the above grinded mixture saute nicely till the oil shows out....

now add 1/4 bowl boneless chicken

optional (you can even add mutton / veggie / peas &paneer anything according to your choice... non-veg tastes yummy... mutton means minced is preferable)

once the chicken is mixed nicely...add 1 small cup of macroni any shapes (keep changing the shapes so that kids will like)... add 2 cup of water give 2 whistle... garnish with coriander and little more butter...

8. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Choc Chunk Oatmeal Lactation Cookies (when made without some of the ingredients, DS loves it)

* 1 cup butter or marg
    * 1 cup sugar
    * 1 cup brown sugar
    * 4 tablespoons water
    * 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal* (linseeds)
    * 2 large eggs
    * 1 teaspoon vanilla
    * 2 cups flour (I use wholewheat flour)
    * 1 teaspoon baking soda
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 3 cups oats, thick cut if you can get them
    * 1 cup or more chocolate chips
    * 2 tablespoons of brewers yeast (This is what is supposed to make it lactational, I get only dried yeast, but it is just as tasty with dry yeast.)

Preheat oven at 180 degrees C.

Mix together 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal and water, set aside for 3-5 minutes. It will swell and thicken.

In an electric mixer bowl cream together the margarine and sugars.

Add eggs one at a time, mix well.

Stir flaxseed mixture and add with vanilla to the butter mix. Beat until blended.

Sift together dry ingredients, except oats and chips. Add to butter mixture.

Stir in oats then chips. At this stage the mix will be easier to handle with your hands to gently mix. It will stick to your fingers. Scoop the flour and roll them into balls, depending on the size you prefer. Pput onto baking sheet preferably lined with parchment and press down gently. Bake 8-12 minutes, depending on size of cookies. 8 mins if you like chewy and longer if you like crisp.

After 8-10 mins the bottom will be browned but the top soft like a sponge. they will have spread to touching. Remove onto a rack straight away ( they will be floppy ) and they will set as they cool.

I halved the sugar and used demerera, yet it turned out quite crisp for me. DS loved it as a snack on the move.

9. happywoman

happywoman Silver IL'ite

My daughter loves carrot curry and tomato-carrot soup.

I cut carrots into small tiny pieces (mostly round) from baby carrots and saute in little oil alongwith onions and add salt and sprinkle very little chilli powder. She loves it and finishes everything on her own.

For the soup, i pressure cook (when im cooking rice) half tomato and few carrot pieces. I usually give this in the evening. I grind both the ingredients in mixi with little water and add little salt and ghee to it. Sometimes i add little tomato ketchup. She loves this soup.

vani

10. PoorniDaya

PoorniDaya Senior IL'ite

Hi Lata,

This is a nice thread. Some quick to make dishes for the babies.

Mine little angel is not a fussy eater - only lunch, BF and dinner I need to spend a lot of time.

He standard lunch is rice with tomato rasam and any vegetable, one papad.

I make rasam with tomatoes, little tamrind pulp and water of any dhal I do ( moong dhal, channa etc ) that day, a couple of garlic and the rasam powder. I dont use chilli.

For the vegetable, I chop beans/carrots/beetroot/bottle gourd/ladies finger(chinese cut)/cabbage into long thing strips or bite size pieces. Heat a little oil, season with mustard, jeera and urad dhal. Fry onions until soft. Add little turmeric and salt. Cook the veggie with water until soft. I tell her its green noodles, red noodles or orange noodles and she eats it without fuss. This goes well with curd rice too.

I microwave the papad!

Looking forward for more recpies.

Poornima

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
    2 people like this.