1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Share your funny/memorable 'boy meeting girl' incidents

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by KrutikaRao, Oct 3, 2008.

1. KrutikaRao

KrutikaRao Senior IL'ite

When the search for the 'perfect' partner starts, the usual ritual of 'boy meeting girl' takes place. Do you remember any funny/memorable prospective groom meeting prospective bride incidents, either your own or of someone you know?

I always disliked this ritual. The usual hush hush of 'the boy is coming to see the girl' was irritating to me. What do you mean 'boy is coming to see the girl'? He has already seem my photo, actual it is me who should be 'seeing' the boy. (In my community grooms photo is not exchanged for the bride to see :frown:.) I used to argue with my parents 'What if the guy is so ugly that I faint in shock?'. That didnt help.

I remember this one guy very distinctly. He was not the first guy I was meeting, but certainly was funny enough to remember. My parents had been to his place to give my photo and horoscope, but they didnt get chance to meet him nor see any of his recent photos. Of course they showed his childhood photos. My parents were not keen on this guy, so they didnt invite his father or others to our home. But never the less, one evening they called up & forced an invitation to themselves to come to my place to 'see' me! I was already upset that my parents had gone to their house without knowing any details about the guy.

But the evening eventually arrived. The usual ridiculous ritual of wearing a heavy silk saree and decking up like a doll with all the jewelry and flowers possible was forced again on me. My idea of handosme is very different from my parents defenition of 'handsome'. To them every guy in my community was as dashing as Pierce Brosnan.

The 'guy' accompanied by his brother, bil and sil were in the living room.
    I was in my room and it was my turn to go out and meet him. Then something unusal happened. My mom came in and instead of preping me to smile and be polite(I'm outright frank, not rude), she said the following. 'The guy is sitting in the center of the sofa with his brother and bil. I know you wont like him, you wont be forced or pressurised about anything. Just pretend everything is fine and let this evening pass by. Rest I'll take care'. Now I was worried. What if I scream? What if I faint? OMG Drowning

I came out and saw him and agreed with my mom in my mind, but didnt want to be rude. So sat there with my dad and answered a few questions from his bil, sil and bro. But the guy didnt utter a word since he had come. All queries about him were answered by the rest of the group. Then my dad pointed a question straight at him in the hope of getting to open up. Again his bil butted in, so my dad politely requested, please allow him we want to hear from him. There it was, the pearls from his mouth came flying, in the form of the 'most squeaky voice I ever heard' and none of us understood the two words he had tried to utter. His bro translated that for us!! In a few minuted after that they left and my sis and me:rotfl I can still laugh thinknig about that evening. Now it was my parents turn to get 'lectured' at.

Hope you enjoyed this incident and will share some of your own.

2. Mythraeyi

Mythraeyi Silver IL'ite

Hi,

That was funny... personally I never had such incidents although I did have an arranged marriage..

3. JustAni

JustAni Silver IL'ite

That was a good one!

I hit home run with the first guy who came to "see" me!

But to share an incident, here goes:

My hubby had gone to see a girl. Actually, like he says, "she was not in the list, but since we were going to M'lore, there was no harm in looking her up". They went to her house, & she was all alone, wearing a night gown & hair untied. Her parents had gone out, despite knowing they were coming. But she was kind enough to offer tea. My m-i-l, f-i-l, cousin b-i-l & hubby all exchanged looks & returned home.
    Later they came to know that the girl had an affair with someone & was successful in eloping!

4. KrutikaRao

KrutikaRao Senior IL'ite

That was funny JustAni. The girl was in her night gown and nobody else in home!! :biggrin2:

5. dolorcosta

dolorcosta Senior IL'ite

Hello !

Just a small observation.

Boy meeting Girl - maybe a prelude to a love marriage, since elders presence is not necessary- maybe they can meet anywhere, fall in love and fix things up themselves.

Boy seeing Girl- Aha !-now we are talking tradition. The boy is accompanied by the entire
    family members and visit the girl's home .This is the second step of an arranged marriage. The first step is usually the horoscope matching.

Regards.

6. malar_arasi

malar_arasi Silver IL'ite

I actually have 2 incidents to share with me...

1) This happened with a friend of mine. She is quite a talkative and active girl. Their family got this profile of a guy working in Google and they got quite excited and called him home for boy seeing girl ceremony. Initially the boy didn't talk much but his parents spoke a lot. Then her parents wanted the guy to speak and so asked if he wants to speak with their daughter. He said Ok and they both started speaking. As the guy kept quiet, my friend started conversation with typical questions like where did u study, where do you stay etc etc. The guy answered all of them with one word or one line answers without meeting her eyes. Then my friend asks this question and the answer made her decide that this guy is total NO for her... the question was "tell me about ur project in google" and he almost gave her 1/2hr lecture on this. He also asked her if she wanted to know more information on the same, he can show in his laptop

2) This happened with two of my colleagues in workplace. They both were seeing each other for quite sometime. Both were of same caste. So what the guy did is he told his parents that he found the profile of this girl in a online site and asked him to contact his parents. Their families spoke with each other and decided to have a boy seeing girl ceremony Big Laugh. On that day he dropped that girl in bus stand and went to his home. Then he went along with his parents and acted as if they are seeing each other for first time :rotfl.
    Their marriage was fixed and most of their relatives still think that its a arranged marriage !!!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  7. KrutikaRao

KrutikaRao Senior IL'ite

I never liked the phrase 'Boy seeing girl'. in today's times, its more 'boy meeting girl' or 'girl meeting boy'. Whether in the privacy of a cafe or amongst family, its mainly for both of them to meet and know a little bit about eachother! :)

malar_arasi - Google guy was worth remembering :biggrin2:. The second guy was smart, he knows how to get things done! He IS the guy!:)

8. nikita_roy

nikita_roy New IL'ite

9. hemchi

hemchi Silver IL'ite

Hi all,

I have one incident to share which was not funny, but only I had the fun.
    In our community, girls are taken to boy's house to show, much to my Rant!
    So to keep myself peaceful...I used to say I'm going to see a boy today. Once, myself accompanied by my parents went to this boy's house. We were seated by his parents...the house was small...and I could actually see that boy, (though not his face) getting dressed up from the corner that I was sitting...he chose a nice shirt..sprinkled talcum powder...combed his hair..then his parents called him to come out...and he came out and shyness was written all over his face and just answering to the questions (like how we girls are told to in such a case). And I was sitting boldly and asking questions like a man :crazy.

Love,
    Hema

10. Chandramukhi

Chandramukhi Senior IL'ite

Krutika,

Loved your story. I feel soo sorry for the boy re. his voice.
    Hopefully he found someone.