1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Share your experience of bicycle/scooty/bike fall. How did you handle it?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sumithrajayan, Dec 6, 2015.

1. sumithrajayan

sumithrajayan New IL'ite

Hi all,Some incidents in your life would make you laugh later even if it was really a shocking experience. In many cases, a fall from a two wheeler in front of a crowd will hurt you more mentally than do physically. It was really a bad idea for my hubby to lend his car to his friend for attending a marriage function. So he asked me to drop him in his office before taking our daughter 'Ponnu' to school. I have been taking Ponnu to school on my TVS scooty for the last few years. To be honest, i am safe rider with a zero accident record. I didn't know that records are always to break when I took my hubby on my pillion seat denying his offer to drive the scooty. Ponnu sit in front as always. I was not worried about the rush city traffic as I was a regular rider. I entered a pocket road that leads to his office. Roads were slippery due to heavy rains some hours back. While negotiating a pothole, my scooty skidded badly and I lost balance. Scooty went out of the road's edge and we all tumbled down with the scooty and slid a few meters. Forunately, no one was hurt seriously. Hubby managed to stand on foot fast and helped Ponnu and me to get back on foot as the scooty was lying over my legs. Ponnu and hubby escaped with some minor scratches. Although my saree was torn and knee and elbow were bruised and I was in great pain, i felt shy to face the people surrounded there. I even forgot to take care of Ponnu and get my slippers back :) Anyhow, hubby picked up the scooty and we fled the scene quickly. Ponnu was screaming all the way back home although she was unhurt. My hubby still laughs at me whenever I boast about my riding skills. Thanks You.

2 people like this.

2. rossie

rossie Gold IL'ite

:) So many times.. But i never bothered. I used to get up and ride as if I am a pro. .But used to develop a cold feet for some days after the incident.
    I even have an experience of ramming my car into a pole when i was trying to learn the car.
    We just have to overcome the fear and ride..
    Husband and Daughter in a scooty on a rainy day..Hmmmmm .. IMO, scooties are not sturdy and definitely not suitable for a slippery rainy day for triples. :)

3. sumithrajayan

sumithrajayan New IL'ite

I appreciate your attitude :)It was my first experience falling in front of the public so it was not that easy for me to get rid of the shock. Anyway, I will try to manage the situation better next time..:)Nd the cold feet..I'm still experiencing it.Hope you were not hurt from falls..

4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Have stopped counting the number of times I fell off my scooter. When I was in college, there was an incident where a girl was riding her Luna and a truck came up behind her and honked. She lost her nerve and collapsed of fright and died on the spot. After that I was determined never to let a bus or truck overtake me, EVER.

The moral of the story is NEVER to say 'never'. I was once driving to work early in the morning. The side of the road was piled high with sand and rubble from some building work. A bus came up beside me and sped at break neck speed overtaking me and pushing me up on the sand. My scooter skidded and I fell down. I was unable to lift the scooter since it was heavy. Fortunately an auto rickshaw came up from behind and the driver helped me up with the scooter. I was shaken alright, but not enough to prevent me from driving fast, overtaking the bus and then sticking to the middle of the road.

1 person likes this.
  5. sumithrajayan

sumithrajayan New IL'ite

Hats off to your guts..
    But I don't think it is always good to drive fast, especially if you have your child on pillion. No doubt, buses and trucks give little consideration to two wheeler riders. But high speed may increase your chances of meeting with an accident...

6. rossie

rossie Gold IL'ite

Nope.. I always take safety measures. I always wear helmet in a two wheeler and seat belt in a car.

Actually no one in public thinks ill...everyone only tries to check that we are safe. So forget about embarrassment. Actually public used to be more helpful. I used to ride a Honda Activa and it was very heavy for me to lift. And I always get help. And some people even stop to ensure that I am fine. Offer water etc.. No one has ever complained that my driving was bad or anything. So chill out. ! You are good.

7. satchitananda

I don't drive fast, sumitha. I was just galled at the way the guy came speeding, pushed me to the side and caused me to fall. The fast driving was only to get ahead of the bus and drive in the middle so he could not overtake one way or the other. The problem earlier was I was driving along the side, which is why he could overtake.

8. sumithrajayan

sumithrajayan New IL'ite

Definitely, public are really good. They won't blame. But it was all about my embarrassment of falling before a crowd, like you said. Now I'm nervous to ride on a rainy day, particularly if someone sits behind me. And the incident made me a more careful rider

9. sumithrajayan

sumithrajayan New IL'ite

Hi, Satchi....
    Is that a good idea? If we do so, they will keep honk from behind and make some dangerous attempts to overtake whenever they get a chance..You know today bus drivers here are driving like they are participating an F-one race..little consideration is paid to two wheeler riders.

1 person likes this.
  10. satchitananda

I don't know whether it is a good idea or a bad one Sumithra. It seems to be the choice between the devil and the deep sea. When I drove sensibly keeping to the left, I was pushed too far and off my bike. My logic is if he wants to overtake me in this situation, he will have to literally drive over me which I presume he won't dare to do - the Janata Janardhan will not leave him alive. As for his honking, let him exhaust his battery doing that all he likes. Am not saying this idea is good or the best, but I was certainly furious at him and feel all truck drivers and bus drivers harass two wheeler riders on the road.