1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Share Away, Now!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

I feel the excitement. I have kept up the consistency of my work outs AGAIN, after a little break. Trust me it is so easy to fall off the routine but so hard to get back up. Been there, done that over and over again and don’t see not doing it again in the future – the falls and getting back ups, I mean As I step out of the car, I realize that the air is warmer than usual, way warmer. I remind myself that after all Punxsutawney Phil this past weekend coming out of his burrow has not seen his shadow predicting an early spring.

While I wonder if it can come this early, I also remember that I do not have my regular set of keys that hold my membership card. Just yesterday driving up to teach a yoga class, I had realized that I had a different set of keys. After doing a dance of let’s do in my house, no let’s get back to the studio a couple of times, we could finally settle down to a place 10 mins later! All because of the keys. And oh! did I mention that my glasses were also left behind in my car, that I had forgotten my handbag too? I can almost find myself singing “wallet, glasses, keys and phone…..keys and phone”! :facepalm:

upload_2020-2-5_7-43-36.png

Come to think of it, all that I need are in that bunch of car keys and the car – my glasses, cards I need to get into different places like work, gym, teaching, not to forget the house keys! And oh the things I don’t need but are in the car include a bed for toby in the boot, along with books, a couple of extra jackets, a throw, water, green grocery bags, car phone chargers and sometimes even a snack or two. An no people, I may be forgetful, but my car is not messy with all those things. You see, I am super organized.

I sign in anyways in the gym and the class starts with the instructor saying “let’s reach for the sky” and I feel the excitement. Not just because of the anticipated challenge of the class but also the anticipation of a promised warmer day for the season. All I can say is, it certainly is a nice little break to be able to walk around without actually freezing to death. I can take that good day.

I close my eyes as I bike intensely to the music and the instructions. Just as the thought “I am going to die” comes to mind I hear my instructor say, “Way to go!”. Of course, she was not responding to my thoughts but to the hushing sound of speeding wheels in unison and us working hard to get that rush of having done our best. I laugh out loud much to the amusement of my fellow spinners. If only they knew!

The clock reminds me that it is time to go even though the class is not over. I love that flexibility of working out in a group class not to mention all the energy I get from my fellow spinners! Just as I step off the bike, my instructor plays an Indian song as our next work out song – “zoom barabar”. I am no stranger to the mixed versions of “jai ho’ and Madonna going “vande gurunam” in her best possible accented pronunciation making me cringe and relax at the same time. But a full-fledged Hindi workout song in its original form? Never! I am ambivalent now and others can see my confusion. I am half-way to getting the wipes to clean my bike, hear the song, walk back to the bike wanting to work out, shake my head knowing well I really can’t afford another 5 mins of work out and go back to fetch the wipes anyways. Seriously, I have been going to that same class for let's say, 10 years at least. I know I know, time flies and hey, between the wallet, glasses, keys, phone and this, don’t assume I am too old . But you heard it right. Ten years to the same class and this is the first time she has actually played a Hindi song and I can’t work out to that. How cruel is that? That is my problem. Not my age or my consistency :tearsofjoy: or how boring I could be going to the same class - depending on how you see it.

As I drive back home, I am laughing alone in my car. You would do it too if you were in my place. Come on guys, look at the sequence of events. My instructor starts with a “Let’s reach for the sky”, followed by my head going “I am going to die” (reached the sky) to which I get a nod from my instructor with a “Way to go” and the grand finale with an Indian song that makes others want to dance just as I am ‘leaving’! It is okay. Laugh away!

Anyways, if you are wondering about all the fuss I made about the one Hindi song I have heard in 10 years in that gym class, let me tell you first of all, perhaps it is just age. But the truth is despite living away from home for over 20 years, there are things that pull at your heart strings and this was just one of those moments. When I think about it, every time Indian National anthem plays, I tear up. I cannot forget the joy I felt when I saw guavas in a local grocery store for the first time a couple of years ago, though they were from Mexico and could come nowhere near to Indian guavas. Nevertheless! and oh did I mention the time I saw this whole stick of sugarcane and bought it anyways not knowing what to do later? Just the joy of having it at home! I am sure you all have similar stories to share. Share away, now!

PS: forgive my thread titles. I am running out of ideas. So again 'share away' if you have any suggestions :relaxed:

Sinant, kkrish, teenulahari and 4 others like this.

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

True Sabitha. That sequence of events is really funny. :-D Know exactly what you mean about the Hindi song and the Indian National Anthem. Been there, done that - goodness, that was nearly 3 decades ago! How time flies. The feeling of being home when away from home by virtue of being able to savour the stuff one associates home with is so incredible!

Srama likes this.
  3. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

4. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

[QUOTE="SunsI cannot forget the joy I felt when I saw guavas in a local grocery store for the first time a couple of years ago, though they were from Mexico and could come nowhere near to Indian guavas. Nevertheless! and oh did I mention the time I saw this whole stick of sugarcane and bought it anyways not knowing what to do later? Just the joy of having it at home! I am sure you all have similar stories to share. Share away, now!

Good narrative ending with the familiar eatables we enjoyed as children.When I went as a faculty for a program in Vietnam I met one Subbu.He started talking fast and when I asked him to slow down he said no as he was talking in Tamil in Vietnam. Wherever we go the suppressed emotion comes out when we meet friends or come across something popular in our country.Many nostalgic memories flood my mind but let me reserve them for later.
    SLN

Srama likes this.
  5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sabita,
    In our heart of heart we love the country where we are born and brought up lingers. We may lead a different kind of life there but something triggers which reminds of mother land...it may be a song or a fruit or anything which connects us with past triggers our emotions without our knowledge and elevates our moods!
    Made us go to nostalgia.
    Syamala

Srama likes this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

How are you? Nice to see you back here. Thank you Satchi for your response. Home away form home - nostalgia. On one hand I am reminded of all these and on the other I look at kids and feel, they don't even know these but then tell my self that they will have things to look back on too! Well!!

satchitananda likes this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

I can imagine the excitement of Subbu you met in Vietnam sir. That happiness when we meet people from our own place is different. Just last week my DD was asking as to why I get excited hearing kannada and how without hesitation and not knowing, I go and make friends with strangers! I wish I could explain well to her but. Please do share your other experiences, would love to read.

Thank you for your response @sln sir!

8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Syamala, @shyamala1234 ,

Thank you as always for your warm response. Even though it is not rare now a days to get everything Indian, there are some pockets where anything other than American is not expected. Such instances make me twice nostalgic and it also surprised me as to my a couple of fellow bikers knew that it was an Indian song! You know the one fruit I still miss - sapota! Yet to see :)

9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sabitha,

Listing to a Hindi workout song after 10 years is equivalent to listening to any Indian language spoken in a foreign land when you visit a new place. We can't stop our tendency to turn back and look at the person. When we were on a cruise ship in 2008 in the international waters for 12 days, one specific day a special entertainment post-dinner event was organized by a few passengers. A few ladies from Caribbean Island played Indian musical instruments and people from 10 other countries danced to Bollywood music. That program registered in my mind longer than most other events.

Only yesterday I read about a doctor providing service to remote locations throughout the world for the past 50 years. He is 83 years old now. Once he was in Ural mountains in Siberia and his car broke down on the way in freezing weather. He got out of the car and two people who came to help him and others in the car suggested that they could visit a Temple located a few meters away on top of a hill. When they got closer to the Temple, they heard someone singing Lingashtagam in a clear voice. When they reached the Temple, they say a Russian priest performing abhisheka to the Lingam while singing Linghastakam. It was an amazing experience in the middle of Siberia for the doctor and he felt the car broke down, for him to enjoy the serenity in this Temple. He felt that experience is God's way of telling him how much he appreciates his service in those remote locations.

satchitananda, Srama and Mistt like this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear V sir,

That story about the doctor is very heart warming! I have been fortunate to meet a few people like that - a restuarant owner with a beautiful Nataraja tatto on his arm explaining the meaning of that to me in some remote corner of the world I was visiting, a receptionist at a hotel in a very developed country with the tattoo of aum, explaining the meaning to me. They all make me wonder, no doubt about it. You know all I could think of in that story you shared was why not Shiva in siberia? Such a lovely story. Thank you for sharing. I think one of the more popular songs that circulates is bollywood's om shanthi om to which some air hostesses have performed.

Many things to remind us of our roots!

Viswamitra likes this.