1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Shani And Shanks

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Hurray! One more blow struck for women’s rights! They have been allowed entry into the Shani temple in Maharashtra! Now if they get raped, harassed for dowry or denied educational and employment opportunities, they can cry at the feet of Shani. What a great leap forward sirjee!

But wait! Someone is frowning at these happy tidings. No it is not just some joker on a high decibel TV debate. It is the Shankaracharya of Dwaraka himself dropping pearls oops sorry bombs of wisdom.

What great wise words does Shanks (Shankaracharya is a bit too long for me) has to offer to the world?

He has come up with the brilliant idea that if women are allowed into Shani temple rapes will increase as Saturn will stop admiring his lovely rings and throw his malevolent glance at the women putting them in dire trouble. No, not the usual seven and half year routine but getting nasty glances all through their life from Shani, increasing their chances of getting raped. Scary isn’t it. Now we know the Nirbhaya rape, Bombay mills rape all occurred because Shani threw nasty looks at the ladies.

I am sure the comment of Shanks will boost the economy. You may wonder what this has got to do with economy. It will trigger insecurity and guilty feeling among women who visit the Shani temple and to protect themselves from the malevolent glance of Shani they will invest in talismans like Shani Suraksha Kavach the ads for which you see on every second TV channel. The talisman business will grow exponentially and increase job opportunities. Even multinationals could land up in India to make amulets and talismans. That is real Make in India for you.

What will we do without these marvellous religious guys? When we get bored with RaGa jokes these fellers step in to compensate. In fact the clown prince should be on the alert for the attempts by such babas to dislodge him from the position of India's buffoon laureate.

Another gem from Shanks. The drought in Maharashtra is due to the fact that Shirdi Sai Baba is worshipped in temples. His statue is installed with idols of Hanuman and Ganesha at its feet. Naturally these gods are pissed off about reduced importance and cause droughts. You see you should never rub these guys upstairs the wrong way.

So forget about water trains to Marathwada, Just remove Sai Baba statues from temples and butter up Hanuman and Ganesha a little bit (I think a plateful of modaks will do for that guy) and watch the drought areas turn green overnight!

And the entertainment quotient of religious leaders cuts across the barriers of faith. Is there a Nobel for geology? May be this Iranian cleric should get Nobel for physics. Mr.Hojatulieslam Whatshisname has finally discovered the cause of earthquakes.

He says women who dress scantily are responsible for quakes.Quite possible. When you see a woman who has economized on clothes don’t you tremble with joy while drooling? The collective trembling causes the earth to tremble too resulting in earthquakes.

But here a desi baba begs to differ politely. Few years ago, this guy, a graduate of IIT Delhi no less, came up with the brilliant thesis that earthquakes occur because of cow slaughter. Come again? What has bovine butchery got to do with quakes.?

Elementary my dear reader when cows are being killed for beef to have a date with your your alimentary, they roar. Their roars reach mother earth who trembles in anger. And that my dear ignoramuses is called earthquake.

Very intellectually stimulating theories both. I think Hojattelleslam Whatshisname and our desi IIT baba should share Nobel for physics even though the two I am sure won’t share a chemistry. This is necessary to ensure that there are no communal riots, jehads or guys having blasts following a dispute over the real reason for quakes.

hope2b, Kamalji, IniyaaSri and 2 others like this.

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Balajee,

phew the things that keep us busy. In my recent trip to India, my DH took a picture of Shani mahatma which was effectively placed and used I think. I will share the picture later - anyways essentially it was pasted in a place where people put in garbage randomly and it simply said "if you litter this place, I will make sure that I will come after you for 7 years!" It seems to work. The Shankaracharyas and IITians of the world...all speaking the same? Oh come on!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    Balajee and satchitananda like this.
  3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

I think you must have seen the Shani image in Delhi where you find it at every street corner on Saturday and by evening thes plates placed before these images will be overflowing with cash showing how superstitious we Delhiites are. If the image is used for a good purpose like keeping the city clean instead of for raking in the moolah, it should be welcomed. At least the Shankaracharya and one IITian are speaking the same language.

4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Good one about the babas of the world, Balajee. That was hilarious @Srama about pasting Shani Bhagwan's pics along the roads of the city!!!!!

I am not so sceptical about the victory of women in entering temples, Balaji. Not because I am ritualistic. Not because I am going to go to these temples. As far as I am concerned, the practice reeks of misogyny which is innate in our culture and that is probably the only reason why I am happy about this development. What I feel happy about is the SC actually trying to make a difference.

For all you know, most women still would hesitate to enter these temples for sheer mental conditioning. No matter what laws are passed, it is not going to be a cakewalk either.

That is why, I feel this is just a token recognition and attempt to rectify a wrong, no matter where it stands in the order of priorities. This and fighting for other more serious, immediate causes should not be mutually exclusive events.

Balajee likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Balajee,

Thank you for bringing the high-level wisdom of Babas and Clerics to our attention. When the cow screams out of pain, that noise level shifts tectonic plates from their original position and similarly when the women are scantly dressed, the mother earth is bending her head in shame resulting in earthquake as well. What an innovative way to avoid slaughter of cows and make the women dress up conservatively! These type of insane statements might bring some name, fame and a lot of wealth into their possession.

I am glad Shanks is not suggesting that it is Shani who should be prosecuted under criminal procedure code for instigating the rapists. Soon those 17 year old minors would find reasonable defense to reduce their sentence as women becomes vulnerable by their effort to have dharshan of Shani.

I would also like to know what causes the volcanic eruptions?

Viswa

Balajee likes this.
  6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Satchi, the key word here is Token. Such temple entry movements are just cosmetic and don't address real women;s issues apart from throwing the limelight on some ambitious women and boosting their political careers. No, the pictures are not pasted but Shani's images with a plate are kept in various parts of the city and it is a damn good business as lot of money is collected. I am sure some enterprising chap must have become a millionaire because of that.

satchitananda likes this.
  7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Viswa Shanks would say the women should be prosecuted for instigating Shani to instigate rapists. Whether these guys get wealth, name and fame . they have proved to be great entertainers. Looks like Shanks would oust Rahul Gandhi from the pedestal of being India's top (unintended) comedian.

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balaji,

Well now that women have gone to Shani, i am sure now, shani will leave troubling us poor men, for he has women to deal with now.Now he will know what it is to live with women, eh ! HAHA

Now maybe shani will come to me, for advise as to how i deal with Women. And yes this shanks, i too read and was stunned to know he saying that women will now be in trouble. Crazy guys really.

Superb one, Balaji, too good.
    Regards
    kamal

9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji I think Shanks needs shrinks a whole bunch of them. Hope the temple entry would divert Shani's attention from men and save them from his seven and half years itch. The problem is when women are hit by Shani's wrath, they are likely to take on men and pass on their troubles to them. May be we can make a pretty penny by selling a Stri Suraksha Kavach on internet and TV to protect men from women's woes.t

10. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Now once again Supreme Court has intervened in Sabarimala issue where women in reproductive age ( 10-50) are not allowed inside the temple and however women below10 and 50 have permission.Five lady advocates of Delhi have filed a case that women are dicriminated and any tradition should not go against Constitution which is supreme.Even if the case is won in favour of women, most womenfolk,including the women lawyers, would not like to enter the prohibited area, when there are thousands of other gods and Goddesses willing to give Darshan to every woman.
    It may be a win-win situation to women and SC.while there are so many atrocities committed against women such as rape, dowry,acid throwing, murder for intercaste marriages etc. the women groups have chosen to make an issue of a non issue so that their importance is telecast in the media.

Shankaracharya finds no other relevant topic to breach other than intimidating women.

Jayasala 42